Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 07:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Who has a wind generator on top of their mast?

Quick Details

Place of Origin: Fujian, China (Mainland) Brand Name: Mars Rock Model Number: VAWT-VA1000W48-E Type: Wind Power Generator Engine Structure: Vertical Axis Rated Power: 5000W Max Power: 5100W Rated Voltage: 120V or 220V Start-up wind speed: 4M/S Rated wind speed: 11-13 M/S Rotor diameter: 3.6M Number of Blade: 5 Engine (Generator): 3 Phase AC PM Generator, Synchronous Type

12' DIAMETER ROTOR????

Uh... Methinks this is somewhat impractical as well as debilitating to the sailing characteristics of a monohulled ANY... sailing vessel under 300' in length...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 23:35   #18

I haven't and I wouldn't but I have seen it done. I guess you have to decide if you want a mobile power generating station or a yacht. The wind will be stronger at the mast head but the weight aloft will heal your boat more. It will probably rock around more at anchor too. Just that weight aloft and the lack of accessibility would put me off doing it. Why not a short mast dedicated to the wind generator mounted near the transom.

I have seen at least one yacht with 2 wind generators mounted on 2 short masts near the transom. If you need the power that might be no more expensive than a single masthead AC wind generator, cabling and rectification. Or better still you could combine wind and solar so you cover your bases with 2 different power sources.

Personally I rely on only solar and engine alternator.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 23:58   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Quick Details

Place of Origin: Fujian, China (Mainland) Brand Name: Mars Rock Model Number: VAWT-VA1000W48-E Type: Wind Power Generator Engine Structure: Vertical Axis Rated Power: 5000W Max Power: 5100W Rated Voltage: 120V or 220V Start-up wind speed: 4M/S Rated wind speed: 11-13 M/S Rotor diameter: 3.6M Number of Blade: 5 Engine (Generator): 3 Phase AC PM Generator, Synchronous Type

12' DIAMETER ROTOR????

Uh... Methinks this is somewhat impractical as well as debilitating to the sailing characteristics of a monohulled ANY... sailing vessel under 300' in length...

Indeed, Happy, that is a pretty unlikely thing to put at the masthead of any normal yacht. Besides the weight (not specified) the heeling force generated by the aerodynamic drag when the wind was abeam would be terrific.

Until some non-photoshopped photos of this installation are presented, I'll file that post in the "only on the internet" bin.

I note that the blade length is 4 metres, and that the overall height must be around 5+ metres from the drawings. Can't imagine anything remotely that big in this suggested usage.

Unbelievingly,

Jim
Old 13-09-2015, 08:18   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Indeed, Happy, that is a pretty unlikely thing to put at the masthead of any normal yacht. Besides the weight (not specified) the heeling force generated by the aerodynamic drag when the wind was abeam would be terrific.

Until some non-photoshopped photos of this installation are presented, I'll file that post in the "only on the internet" bin.

I note that the blade length is 4 metres, and that the overall height must be around 5+ metres from the drawings. Can't imagine anything remotely that big in this suggested usage.

Unbelievingly,

Jim
We're sitting in the same camp Jim... Enjoying the fire and a toddy... Aero drag has got to be well into if not the top end of hundreds of lbs...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 10:59   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I have a 65' mast. Can it be done?...
N...O
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 11:38   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If it didn't bring down the rig from wave action, all the weight and windage would likely slow down the boat sufficiently to force the boat captain to motor if going upwind, thereby making the boat's alternator do the work.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
If it didn't bring down the rig from wave action, all the weight and windage would likely slow down the boat sufficiently to force the boat captain to motor if going upwind, thereby making the boat's alternator do the work.
The skipper could then send the alternator energy back up the mast turning the generator into a motor pulling the boat forward. (I'm not serious!)

There was an experimental yacht in Auckland NZ a few years ago that had a large rotor blade on a mast which was able to be pivoted into the wind. No sails. The rotor blade was geared to an underwater propellor. It could go directly into the wind quite well using only wind power. I saw it doing that as well as reaching across the wind a few times. I don't know what happened to it but it worked.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:03   #24

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Reminds me of the time the fishing was so good, we had to hide in the cabin to put the bait on the hook.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mast, wind, wind generator