Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2023, 17:14   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: What are these switches for?

It is a frustrating and common practice to wire things direct to the battery before the switch. Some things, like a battery monitor, it's necessary. Some things, like a bilge pump, it is perhaps philosophically desirable.

I personally don't like to connect anything directly to the battery. I run a modest wire, maybe a number 12 or number 10, from the battery side of the battery switch to a small blade fuse holder. It still gives them essentially uninterruptible power, makes things clean and neat, and makes it easy to understand.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 05:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau Evasion 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
Have you tried turning the black negative switch to off? Assuming that is a common negative for all batteries then, depending on its place in the circuit, it may interrupt the electricity to your DC panel.
Yeah, I tried that, although I have since read in other forums about this, and they say not to turn the negative off. And even recommend removing the black switch altogether...
brajgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 09:44   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Time to start tracing wires. First I'd disconnect the + on each battery individually, and see what battery you are getting power from. Then I'd look for any DIY wiring on that battery which could bypass the switches, like bilge pump, or always on clock circuit,
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:28   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajgreg View Post
First time seeing this style of switch on a boat. French made 1992 Beneteau Evasion 36

I have two battery banks, each with two deep cycle lead acid batteries in them. I assumed switching these to the off position would remove power from the DC Panel, but my assumption was wrong.

Thanks for any info!
AND! Under the black cap on each switch is a nut. If this nut loosens, it will not allow the switch to ‘pull away’ from the contact when in the off position.

You can test this by checking the nut, or pull the switch away anga the spring and hold, and you should loose power.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechart View Post
AND! Under the black cap on each switch is a nut. If this nut loosens, it will not allow the switch to ‘pull away’ from the contact when in the off position.

You can test this by checking the nut, or pull the switch away anga the spring and hold, and you should loose power.
I actually played around with this a couple days ago, and it is indeed true that if I pull out on the bank 2 switch, it kills the power. I think switch one works, and switch two has this loose nut or something. I'll check under the cap for the nut to tighten. Thanks!

If my battery charging system is still on, power stays on as well it seems, but maybe it's all due to this switch acting up.
Old 29-05-2023, 09:44   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Looks like a jury-rigged mess. Personally, I'd trace it to see what the P.O. was trying to do, then rip it out and rewire the correct way.

The 3'rd engine battery does not have to be near the two house 'banks'. Follow the alternator output and see if it leads to a starting battery.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
Looks like a jury-rigged mess. Personally, I'd trace it to see what the P.O. was trying to do, then rip it out and rewire the correct way.

The 3'rd engine battery does not have to be near the two house 'banks'. Follow the alternator output and see if it leads to a starting battery.
There is no starting battery. It does not exist.
Old 30-05-2023, 08:09   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

They are setting the date on the "flux capacitor".
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 08:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechart View Post

THIS WAS THE PROBLEM!

Not being able to find any info about these switches online, I didn't really want to tear them apart. I didn't even realize the black thing in the middle was a removable cap. Anyway, both red switches had a loose nut in there, and now that I have tightened both of them, when I switch them OFF, the DC panel is isolated. I really thought that maybe Bank 2 was bypassing this switch and was tied directly to the panel somehow, but it appears to all be running through this switch, and when functioning properly, I can isolate my panel using these.

Thank you kind stranger!