Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 06:16   #106
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: What about fuses with the switches at point of use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Push buttons absolutely have their place (such as when multiple switches in different places control a single device, as mentioned). But otherwise, I prefer the more tactile response of a good rocker or toggle switch. My helm panel is all toggles and honestly, there's just something satisfying about flipping one and getting that nice, firm "snap" from the switch.

Mind give a nice « beep “ and an led illuminates never any doubt
Old 02-12-2022, 07:03   #107
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Push buttons absolutely have their place (such as when multiple switches in different places control a single device, as mentioned). But otherwise, I prefer the more tactile response of a good rocker or toggle switch. My helm panel is all toggles and honestly, there's just something satisfying about flipping one and getting that nice, firm "snap" from the switch.
You should really try a quality momentary push button. The tactile response is so much better than that of a rocker or toggle switch!

Here is the one I selected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2HLGHZ

You want to keep using it, very nice switch.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 14:36   #108

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
My latest design actually only uses the momentary switch as an input for a microcontroller and software creates a PWM dimmable voltage send to the LED inside the switch. It will glow at night to see the switch, go brighter when you switch something on, flashes when it saves your new lamp brightness setting (it’s a 16-channel light dimmer) etc. So you use the LED inside the switch for many things incl. feedback. When it starts flashing at you, it invites you to start trying double click, long click etc. to find the hidden functions.
Love to read/hear more about how you do this Jedi! You're opening up new ideas...

Does the Apiele you posted allow this - LED colour change? Brightness levels? Flash?
And what microcontroller do you use? etc.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 20:11   #109
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Love to read/hear more about how you do this Jedi! You're opening up new ideas...

Does the Apiele you posted allow this - LED colour change? Brightness levels? Flash?
And what microcontroller do you use? etc.
Yes that is the actual switch I am using. All you need is a PWM dimmable LED inside the switch and you can make it do whatever you want.

I like to use microcontrollers that can be programmed from the Arduino IDE. Lately I use the Arduino MKR series because they have Bluetooth, Wifi, Ethernet etc.

To drive the LED in the switch, as well as the actual lights inside the boat, you need a PWM module as well as power output stages. Adafruit sells a module based on the PCA9685 which has 16 channels. https://www.adafruit.com/product/815...caAkbqEALw_wcB
I use that with 8 channels for the LED’s in the switches and 8 channels for the actual lights. For output stage I use a small 2N2222 transistor for a 12V output for the switches and a large IRLB3034 MOSFET for the lights, which are 24V for me, but work on 12V as well.

I designed a circuit board but will only finalize and order early next year as we’re switching to family time instead of boat projects now

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:55   #110
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I agree with Nick. Led guided push buttons are much more versatile and flexible.

Tags
fuses