Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 04:51   #1

Flooded Battery Water Loss Rate

I probably already know the answer but I am looking to replace my sealed 12V batteries. I have previously had Trojan T105’s and know they are good batteries but I also had them in the Pacific Northwest where temperatures are much cooler. I also will be storing the boat on the hard for 7 months a year and the batteries will be serviced by the solar panels while in storage. I will not be able to see the boat during that time. I know AGM’s would be a better choice but the price on the Trojans is more in my budget. The question I have is what the water loss from the batteries would be while the boat is in storage for 7 months. Obviously if they went dry it would ruin the battery. Talk me out of the T105’s.
lyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:45   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Flooded Battery Water Loss Rate

If FLAs are in your budget, then that's what you need to get. They will work and nothing wrong with them. If your bats are accessible to add water occasionally, would not spend the price on AGMs

Would possibly add water saver caps (slightly expensive) and change the solar controller parameters to not overcharge your batteries/boil off too much water while in storage.

We had golf carts for years and even w/a high charge (14.7 bulk) when using the boat heavily, only needed to add water every 2 months. Others may have different parameters for long term storage, but if you have no loads on the bats, could drop them to say 14.1 for a short bulk charge then float at 13.2.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:02   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Flooded Battery Water Loss Rate

I installed our bank of 8 Trojan T-105 batteries when we purchased this boat in 2014. We are full time cruisers, and the batteries are still going strong.

We are a bit further N of you in the NNE Pacific, and the battery temps average in the 50s°F year around. (The battery locker is against the hull in an unheated midship cabin.]

Our bank is inaccessible unless hundreds of pounds of tools and spare parts are moved, so I installed Trojan's manual remote watering system. It takes me less than a minute to water the entire bank using an outboard squeeze bulb in a container of distilled water- including set-up and putting things away. The bank only needs water monthly, and then typically less than a quart.

Many more details and links to sources- including photos of the ugly install- on this post.

Separately, I would argue if your choice is between AGM and FLA, and you aren't able to bring the bank to 100% SoC weekly, then FLA is a better choice for longevity.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill

PS: When away from the boat, you can install a gravity tank of distilled water connected to the feed tube of the batteries to make sure they stay properly watered...

Tags
battery, water