Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37   #1

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present
Victron Multiplus PC Connection

Goodmorning.
Anybody here with knowledge of the Victron VEconfigure program and the way to hook a Multiplus on to a PC?
I can't get the two to communicate while program, driver, cable, everything is installed ok. Victron gives no tech support.

Thanks for your time.
Len.
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
I have a lot of experience with VEconfigure. You do not mention the VE Interface dongle. Which model are you using; serial or USB?

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05   #3

VEconfigure

Hi Charlie,

I have a 3 months old Multiplus 12/3000/120 and a MK2 USB adapter
I downloaded and installed the driver, which I installed without connecting the adapter first and triggering Windows 7 to ask for a driver-cd. But installation went fine as far as I can establish.
Then I installed VEconfigure 2 because the Multiplus is controlled by software version is 1.90.

When I start VEconfigure, I can succesfully choose a com port.
This comport is then shown with a round "button" behind the port number in the VE configure menu option.

VE configure then asks to connect cable and switch on device.
I do that and then nothing happens. No matter how often I try or which order I choose or which UTP plug I use, I just cannot get the settings screen.

The MK2 USB adapter is fine, I used it on another boat and no probs.
The UTP-cable is no suspect either because of the same reason. I really have no idea where to look.

I tried my other XP computer and no luck, same story.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:04   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since reading of your problem I have played with VEConfigure in dummy mode, reread the applicable portions of the Installation and Operating manuals and talked to Victron USA.

Let me verify a couple of items:
1. You cannot communicate with your Victron with either your Windows 7 computer or with an XP computer.
2. Have you tried both computers in both RJ45 ports on the Victron?
3. When you used the MK2 USB adapter and the ethernet cable on the Victron on the other vessel, which of your two computers (Windows 7 or XP) did you use?
4. Does your remote panel work in either RJ45 port on your Victron?
5. The latest software package is "VEBus Quick Configure Setup (V9010120)" which includes VEConfigure II version 90.04.145. Is this the version you are using?

That's it for now.

We'll get through this.

Charlie
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46   #5

Quote:
Since reading of your problem I have played with VEConfigure in dummy mode, reread the applicable portions of the Installation and Operating manuals and talked to Victron USA.
I really appreciate the time and effort you're putting in...

Quote:
1. You cannot communicate with your Victron with either your Windows 7 computer or with an XP computer.
That is correct.

Quote:
2. Have you tried both computers in both RJ45 ports on the Victron?
I have tried both.

Quote:
3. When you used the MK2 USB adapter and the ethernet cable on the Victron on the other vessel, which of your two computers (Windows 7 or XP) did you use?
That was not one of mine but the laptop belonging to the other cruiser.

Quote:
4. Does your remote panel work in either RJ45 port on your Victron?
It does.

Quote:
5. The latest software package is "VEBus Quick Configure Setup (V9010120)" which includes VEConfigure II version 90.04.145. Is this the version you are using?
The VEconfigure I used is 90.04.117. Ok, I'll download the 90.04.145, try that one and let you know of course.

Thanks,
Len.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07   #6
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Len-
Before loading the newer version of VEConfigure, remove the older version from your computer.

We now know:
1. That the RJ45 ports on your Victron are ok...they can communicate with your remote panel.
2. That neither the Win7 or XP computer when loaded with ver 90.04.117 will communicate with your Victron.
3. The check out of the MKII USB and cabling on the Victron on another vessel was not done with either of your computers.

My recommendations:
1. Use Add/Remove to remove the legacy VEConfigure from both of your computers.
2. Load the latest VEConfigure cited above into both machines.
3. Force a hard reset of your Victron by removing its DC supply for at least ten seconds.
4. Launch the new VEConfigure, allow it to auto detect your COM port and connect to the Victron's RJ45 (leave the Victron remote panel unplugged).

Speaking of computers, are you comfortable wandering around Device Manager under Control Panel? We may have to go there next. Full disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about Windows 7 (I have crossed over from the dark side to iMac and I am not looking back!!) but I am very familiar with XP so if we have to wander in Device Manager I can probably find our way back ;-)

It would be interesting to see if your newly configured computer, MKII USB and cable will communicate with the other vessel's Victron.

Charlie