Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 15:15   #1

Victron 712 voltage reading

Has anyone noticed their Victon 712 provides different voltages when the display is lit?

When I push a button on the display and it is illuminated, displayed voltage drops, for example, from 13.19 V to 12.96 V. When the display light goes out, the voltage returns to higher reading.

When installing, I did run another pair of monitor wires from the two screws on top of the Victron 712 shunt (because I replaced the shunt they had been connected to with the Victron. Shunts were the same milliamp). I suppose this might throw off a reading by the Victron by reducing a threshold of some sort, but it seems like the light on the Victron display should not impact voltage reading of that display.

This change in information is picked up by VictronConnect, and I believe the difference is enough to mess with settings for float and absorption on the 100 / 50 Blue Solar MPPT.

Also, MPPT says it is in "bulk" mode when the voltage has clearly dropped to float. This issue preceded install of Victron 712 and is not related.

Suggestions?
Old 14-02-2019, 16:28   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Victron 712 voltage reading

Does the mppt controller talk to the battery monitor over bluetooth? I have two 75/15 MPPT controllers running in parallel, and I notice that they do tend to report funky things so I put more faith in the actual amperes flowing, history graphs showing total charge input and, of course, battery SOC. I guess you should double check your battery chemistry setting at the controller just in case this isn't matching your batteries.

I had a problem with a Victron battery management gauge not powering at all during the week. The issue was minor corrosion on the fuse connecting the shunt to the positive battery supply. A quick clean and all good. Had exactly the same thing happen to the GPS the next day, too. This isn't an uncommon problem around my way this time of year. It may not relate to your issue, but I reckon there's a high resistance in the circuit to the gauge (which I'm guessing reads voltage at the gauge itself rather than the shunt). Give the circuit an inspection and clean with electrical contact cleaner and see if it changes. I use silicon grease to help protect contacts from further corrosion.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote