Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 10:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Using Daewoo mini (220v) on our 110v boat?

My wife is insisting on us getting a Daewoo mini washer dryer combo for our boat. I agree that itís almost a necessity vs a luxury given our current cruising plans (line drying in the PNW and Alaska in the wet dark winter months isnít going to happen).

Anyway, we recently installed an arch and 600w of solar and upgraded to 400ah of LiFePO with plans to add another 400w of solar and likely another 200ah to the house bank. We havenít had a need for an inverter until now so that is also on the list.

Iím curious to hear some recommendations on how to make this work given the fact we have a 12v boat and will likely have a 110v inverter (preferably a 3000 watt or > Victron). Not being the worlds most savvy electrician has me thinking a step up converter from the 110v to 220v would be required?

Also we are purchasing a Rainman 110v water maker that Iíd like to be able to run off of the inverter in an emergency if for some reason the Honda fails us (just to throw another wrench in the works).

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this?

TIA!
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:10   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC
Re: Using Daewoo mini (220v) on our 110v boat?

We have had a daewoo mini for the last year and we use a step up voltage transformer: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought this at the same time and its worked flawlessly.

You will need an inverter to convert 12V to 110, then this transformer for 110 to 220.

A word of caution - The dryer is nearly useless, and uses about 80 amps of 12v power for 60-90 minutes, and you can only put in 3-4 t shirts equivalent at a time. Not as much as a full wash load. Your battery setup won't be able to handle more than 2 dry cycles, and your solar wont recharge it fast enough in PNW. We don't use the dryer function and we have:

600AH LiFePo4
990W solar
3000W xantrex inverter (can handle everything and more)
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Topical question:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
We have had a daewoo mini for the last year and we use a step up voltage transformer: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought this at the same time and its worked flawlessly.

You will need an inverter to convert 12V to 110, then this transformer for 110 to 220.

A word of caution - The dryer is nearly useless, and uses about 80 amps of 12v power for 60-90 minutes, and you can only put in 3-4 t shirts equivalent at a time. Not as much as a full wash load. Your battery setup won't be able to handle more than 2 dry cycles, and your solar wont recharge it fast enough in PNW. We don't use the dryer function and we have:

600AH LiFePo4
990W solar
3000W xantrex inverter (can handle everything and more)
Great info. Thank you!

I forgot to mention we are adding wind but I donít think we can count on that getting us over the top. Weíll just consider that a nice adjunct especially during the short winter days. I guess weíll be running the generator more than I wanted but we will be spending more time in Marinaís in the winter so maybe not a huge deal.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2021, 13:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes! My wife wanted the mini before but Sophieís video and reaction clinched it for her I think. Just found out there is a 110 version headed to the states. We have a few months so weíll see what happens before we make our purchase.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Yes! My wife wanted the mini before but Sophieís video and reaction clinched it for her I think. Just found out there is a 110 version headed to the states. We have a few months so weíll see what happens before we make our purchase.
Do you have any details about where and when to get this in the States?
Dkzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 13:49   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
My wife is insisting on us getting a Daewoo mini washer dryer combo for our boat. I agree that itís almost a necessity vs a luxury given our current cruising plans (line drying in the PNW and Alaska in the wet dark winter months isnít going to happen).

Anyway, we recently installed an arch and 600w of solar and upgraded to 400ah of LiFePO with plans to add another 400w of solar and likely another 200ah to the house bank. We havenít had a need for an inverter until now so that is also on the list.

Iím curious to hear some recommendations on how to make this work given the fact we have a 12v boat and will likely have a 110v inverter (preferably a 3000 watt or > Victron). Not being the worlds most savvy electrician has me thinking a step up converter from the 110v to 220v would be required?

Also we are purchasing a Rainman 110v water maker that Iíd like to be able to run off of the inverter in an emergency if for some reason the Honda fails us (just to throw another wrench in the works).

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this?

TIA!
Ryan just pinged me on this request, just an fyi we are getting closer and closer to launching the new 110V US version of this washer. We are currently in negotiations and plan to start a pre-order in the coming weeks. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. We can do our best to keep you up to date as we launch this product in the US!! Feel free to sign up to our newsletter on the homepage.

Willem Oswald - Catamaran Supply
www.catamaransupply.com
CatamaranSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 14:46   #8

Thanks for the quick reply, Willem! Do you know if you’ll have the version with the drying as well as the one without? Do you have any details on how many watts are drawn in the different cycles? Also, is there a version with a heating element vs a condenser?
Dkzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:59   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkzap View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Willem! Do you know if youíll have the version with the drying as well as the one without? Do you have any details on how many watts are drawn in the different cycles? Also, is there a version with a heating element vs a condenser?
No worries, we have been working hard on this. From what we know it will be the same version as Ryan and Sophie's just 110V instead of 220V. Both washer and dryer. We are gathering all of the specs as we speak and should have that information when we put up the presale. I believe it will still be the condenser dryer like Ryan and Sophie's as well.

Willem
CatamaranSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:59   #10

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I want one.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat