Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23   #1

Boat: Liberty 49
110v boat and 220v shorepower

Having recently bought a US yacht with all systems running on 110V and with 2 shorepower inputs, I am having it brought over to Europe. When it arrives I will have the problem of connecting it all up to European shorepower but want to have both 110v and 220v sockets supplied from the shorepower or the 110v generator.

The local electricians have absolutely no idea how to do this as they normally wire houses but are able to install an independent 220v breaker panel and sockets. No linkage to the 110 system though. Are there any reference books or articles anywhere that I might refer them to?

Cheers,

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: 110v boat and 220v shorepower

Can't point you to reference books but I have two options for you.

1. Replace any 110v items with the euro equivelant. A bit extreem but the proper way to do it. At least your wiring would be fine as 110v wiring is thicker than 220/240 due to the higher amp loadings. (a euro boat going to the us would have to have its entire AC wiring replaced also!)

2. This is probably simpler and cheaper, Seperate the two supplies by fitting a 110v Inverter and having it switchable so that your boats AC sockets run only off it or your 110v genny. This way, you'll only need to get a 220v battery charger that the shore power would connect to, thereby charging the batteries and allowing you to run 110v in the boat. You may also be able to get a step down transformer to convert the 220v to 110v as well but i'm not sure how expensive or reliable these are.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

Use the search function and you will find a plethora of information concerning european 220v, 50Hz transformation.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:11   #4

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

easiest way to do this is use a voltage convertor transformer
along these lines
likely a marine version will break the bank.

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...FQhahwod0ExdmA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transformers.png
Views:	637
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	42920  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

110 volts is a popular voltage in the UK for garage equipment and tools so drop boxes from 220 to 110v are available, however, the frequency between US and EU are also different.

Here is one solution:

Voltage converter | Voltage Transformer | step up and step down | 110 volts 220 230 240 volts | Buying guide resources & instructions

Is the boat staying in Europe, if only temporary then just using a 12v charger as simonmd suggests looks a cheaper solution:

Sterling Power Products: ProCharge Ultra

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Jack Tyler’s (s/v “Whoosh” & CF Member “Euro Cruiser”) excellent articles on Cruising Europe (& more)
Whoosh

Including: Using European AC Power Aboard
European Power Onboard

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19   #7

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

A transformer will not help you if you have the usual equipment. 50/60 Hz issue. See my post on;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d-38004-2.html

There is a lot of other good info on the thread.
Searching the Cruisers Forum is my default solution to problems.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17   #8

Boat: Liberty 49

Thank you to all for the various bits of advice and links. I think a complete conversion is probably the best with new compressors and pumps. The fridge/freezer is my main concern which needs about 4hrs/day of mains voltage at about 800W. Too much for an inverter and battery bank I fear particularly when away from shore supply for any length of time.
Cheers,

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08   #9
Eternal Member

Easiest way would be to install a new battery charger with "world power" capability, such as the Sterling or ProMariner Ultra 60A chargers.

Doing this for one of my customers now who's in the same situation, I.e., taking a 120VAC/60cycle boat to Europe.

I'd really think twice about a "complete conversion""..... Prohibitively expensive and most likely not necessary.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Like many I have traveled in Europe... "The admiral" must have HER hair blower, etc. to accommodate her, there are many ways to connect a single phase device to a two phase service. Hardware stores in Vienna even sold them. I would check with shore power cable suppliers, they may have an adapter that goes onto the cable.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17   #11

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Easiest way would be to install a new battery charger with "world power" capability, such as the Sterling or ProMariner Ultra 60A chargers.

Doing this for one of my customers now who's in the same situation, I.e., taking a 120VAC/60cycle boat to Europe.

I'd really think twice about a "complete conversion""..... Prohibitively expensive and most likely not necessary.

Bill
Agreed, unless you are keeping the boat in Europe permanantly, this is by far the easiest and cheapest solution.

FYI, a 600w fridge/freezer can EASILY run off an inverter. I personally have a 3000w Inverter on my boat connected to 4x185ah deep cycle batteries, supplimented with 300w of solar and a wind gen' and only need to run an engine or my own genny once every couple of days to top them up. I'm not light on power usage either, having a domestic combination microwave, full sized tv, home PC, etc.

Remember, it's not drawing power all the time for a start and if you need to top up the batteries when not connected to shore power, your 110v genny should be able to cope with that no problem.

Sure, the combination charger and inverter isn't the most efficient setup but chnaging the entire boat including your genny will cost 1000's.

I'd only do the complete conversion if I intended to put the boat up for sale in Europe in the future as a 110v boat would be harder to shift.