Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2023, 13:42   #1

Boat: Vancouver 32
The Dangers of Lipo Batteries

Hi, the first thing I must state is that I am NOT Electrically Competent, I am however a mechanically competent person and cruise for 5 months permanently in the Baltic Sea each summer. I am only providing information here, it will be totally up to you how you use this information.

With the developed world’s push towards electrically powered vehicles I wonder how many people are fully aware of the life threatening (this is NOT an exaggeration) dangers they possess.

Because of Global Warming the drive towards EV’s has been relentless, it has possibly outstripped normal research and development.

I know this will likely be the start of a hugely controversial issue within various Cruiser / Sailing Forums and, really I would have expected this to have already been addressed (It may have been and I personally may have missed it, but I don’t think so). It is one that I am definitely NOT competent to provide any answers to, only my personal opinion and research.

Lipo batteries have great promise of lots of power, fast charging and comparatively light weight, what’s not to like? Well, please read the following, it may save your life.

These batteries are totally unsuitable for use on any boat, because of the probability of us being offshore at the time when the worst can happen and the speed at which it can happen makes it life threatening.

So for the people that don’t know the dangers, what can happen is this. (Now please remember, I am NO expert)
These batteries can go into what’s called “thermal runaway” and when this happens they initially give of at least three gasses (it may look like smoke but its far worse) all three are extremely poisonous and flammable, two are lighter than air and the third is heavier than air. Without looking it up again, I can only remember one of the gasses and its name will tell you all you need to know. It’s Hydrogen Cyanide, it is usually followed quickly by ignition of the gasses.

It’s also the speed at which it all happens, from the first sign there is a problem, to an explosion (although the expert has a different name for it!) can be a matter of seconds, so if you are in your bed onboard, you are in serious trouble.

Already a Norwegian ferry company has banned all EV’s including hybrid vehicles and I think thats just the start because fire fighting these is a big problem. In a video I found it said fire fighters took 36 hours to extinguish an electric car fire!

We have two Brompton folding bikes on board which I was planning to electrify this year but have now changed my mind. I still have my phone plus two Ipads, but that’s a risk I am prepared to take, now I know the dangers I will prepare for them.

I have attached a few links below, its up to you to do your own research, please do not shoot the messenger!

If you just do a search on YouTube and look for the “Lit & Phil” website (with a drawing of an elephant), it’s 1 hour 20 long but worth watching some of it. This link starts in the middle for some reason!

Norwegian Ferry company bans all Electric Vehicles including Hybrid.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...ps-208942.html

Take care
Colin McGinnis
ColinIOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, danger