Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2024, 12:29   #1

Stepping LiFePO4 voltage to ~FLA levels

I'm looking to replace a FLA battery for dinghy/trolling motor use with a lighter LiFePO4 battery.

The warning from Newport was to not use the LiFePO4 battery due to voltage levels being higher; it seems to me this is a solvable problem: buck converter from 13.xV to ~12.6V -- but the only ones I've seen are lower amperage than for a trolling motor.

Has this already been solved? This seems a reasonably straightforward solution, so I feel it must already have been thought of/tested and either abandoned/successful.

Any ideas?
OfficeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 16:10   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Stepping LiFePO4 voltage to ~FLA levels

It isn't as straightforward as you think. Sure, it could be done, but a converter that handles the amperage is probably more expensive, larger, heavier than you want.

You are probably just fine with LFP voltages. Just don't run it wide open for very long. You aren't the first person with this issue, and I think that is the usual answer.
Old 11-04-2024, 05:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Simple solution to drop the voltage is a longer thinner cable from LFP to electric outboard. However, having replaced the corroded plugs on my Minn Kota with Anderson connectors, I was somewhat surprised how thin the original cable was.

I don't plan on changing much, LFP in a battery box with fuse, to the 40lb Minn Kota.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 10:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeMonkey View Post
I'm looking to replace a FLA battery for dinghy/trolling motor use with a lighter LiFePO4 battery.

The warning from Newport was to not use the LiFePO4 battery due to voltage levels being higher; it seems to me this is a solvable problem: buck converter from 13.xV to ~12.6V -- but the only ones I've seen are lower amperage than for a trolling motor.

Has this already been solved? This seems a reasonably straightforward solution, so I feel it must already have been thought of/tested and either abandoned/successful.

Any ideas?
Don't do anything hook up the lifepo4 battery and run it no different than a FLA except better power density and a lot lighter.

https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoor...um%20batteries.
Old 11-04-2024, 10:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It isn't as straightforward as you think. Sure, it could be done, but a converter that handles the amperage is probably more expensive, larger, heavier than you want.

You are probably just fine with LFP voltages. Just don't run it wide open for very long. You aren't the first person with this issue, and I think that is the usual answer.
What's the issue running on full power ? The motor is sealed and water cooled so no heat buildup to damage it .

Tags
lifepo4