Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2024, 12:31   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Speaker Wires Hookup

Does it matter what speaker wires go to the terminals on the speaker? In other words, is there a positive and negative? I'm asking because the new speakers I bought don't show any mark indication on the terminals.
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 12:37   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Speaker Wires Hookup

No practical difference.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 12:45   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

If they are stereo speakers, or if you are adding speakers to an existing system (ex. front/rear) then what matters is that they are all wired the same. If they are not wired the same, you can usually hear the audio is out of phase. You might not hear dialog, highs will be lost, and just terrible quality in general.

As long as they are the same, then there is no practical difference.
Old 27-02-2024, 12:59   #4

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

you will not hurt anything by reversing the polarity. You will effect sound quality. But you might not be able to hear a difference depending on many factors.

Simply stated if one speaker is reversed from the other, one will cancel out the other. Audibly one will normally hear this in the low frequencies. Basically all of the air one driver pushes the other driver pulls. That is over simplified but...

Again a normal pair of 6.5" speakers, powered from a radio in your boat you most likely will not hear any difference.

You can hold the two speaker wires, one to positive and one to negative (9volt battery works great) of a DC power source. When you do this if the speaker moves out then the wire on the positive side of the battery is positive. If the speaker moves in then the wire on the positive side of the batter is negative.

Best
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 13:35   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

The Flee rocks. Exactly correct.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 15:31   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yup. And that is why speaker wire is marked for polarity, as are the terminals.
Old 27-02-2024, 21:02   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yup. And that is why speaker wire is marked for polarity, as are the terminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
..... the new speakers I bought don't show any mark indication on the terminals.
Except when they aren't marked, hence the question
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 22:46   #8

The speaker terminals may not be marked but usually the spade terminals are different sizes, the smaller of the two being the negative.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 02:22   #9

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

However, if you wire them up backwards then any heavy metal music you play will come out as Country and Western!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 05:45   #10

Quote:
Does it matter what speaker wires go to the terminals on the speaker? In other words, is there a positive and negative? I'm asking because the new speakers I bought don't show any mark indication on the terminals.
Insulation jacket of the conductor wire usually has an embossed ridge on one leg. Alternatively, one wire is copper colored while the other is silver colored. There is almost always a way to keep the polarity consistent. Though in the current world of ultra cheap Chinese manufacturing, I could easily see where neither convention was observed.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 07:44   #11

Quote:
It matters that the speakers are all the same source on the amp to the speaker terminals, otherwise your speakers can be out of phase.

In other words if there is a black and red terminal on the back of the amp, you want the wires from the Red terminals to go to the same color terminal on all the speakers, whether it is the black (-) one or the red (+) one on the speakers doesn't matter as long as the speakers are all the same ..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 13:29   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If you have them connected, supply a monoural i.e. not stereo signal (ex. an AM radio station) and listen in between the speakers.

If the sound seems to be coming from where you are, they are IN phase.
If the sound distinctly sounds like it is coming separately from both speakers, they are OUT of phase.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 13:47   #13

Boat: Sabre, 452, 45'

Connect the speaker to a D battery. If the cone moves out, then the terminal connected to the + side of the battery is the positive + terminal. If the cone moves in, then the terminal connected to the positive + side of the battery is the negative - terminal. Connect the wires accordingly.
jrobert890 is offline   Reply With Quote