Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 16:26   #31

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Re: Solar panels - Large or Small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
...Solar Blvd ( Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controller, Solar Trackers ) Has good prices on panels, Their Solar Cynergy panels are about equal to the KYOCERA. I've one of each and and only difference is the frame gauge on the solar cynery panel is a little lighter. Both are marina rated.
We also have gotten our panels (10 of them) and 2 MPPT controllers from Solar Blvd and have been happy with their Cynergy panels, controllers and service. I'll probably buy from them when we add solar to the house.

Pesonally I also like the idea of more panels, especially after damaging one once on a piling. We have 3 on the Mac and 6 on the Endeavour (take one along as a spare). They come off easy and right now while the boat is up on stands in the yard I just leave one panel up to charge the batteries and take the rest off just in case a hurricane decides to go by the yard.

Good idea about the bypass switch, I might do that also. What SSB are you using?

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:49   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Solar panels - Large or Small?

1.If the larger panel will EVER be shaded by overhead stuff, such as the backstay, ect,, and if splitting it to two will allow one to be out of the shade, then go that route.

2. If you are going cruising to far-away places, than consider being able to bring the panels down the companionway, with the mounts installed. It is nice to be able to bring them down below, if a bad storm (think hurricane) is forecast. If you are sailing on weekends, and can bring them home, than this is not an issue.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar