Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 06:43   #1

Boat: CSY 44
Shore power to inverter wiring

Hello, I am mapping out the electrical wiring on a new to me sailboat. The shore power black and white go directly from the back of the shore power input plug to the Xantrex inverter AC input. The green ground goes from the back of the shore power input plug, through a galvanic isolator and then terminates on the AC panel ground bus. Looking at the PO's Owner Manual, it looks like all three wires should route through the inverter. Is this ok how PO routed the ground directly to the AC ground bus? Thank you.
duetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 07:09   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Shore power to inverter wiring

That's all correct. The owner's manual assumes no isolator, but yes, they connect in the ground line as you describe.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:29   #3

is there a ground wire from the ac bus to the inverter somewhere? the order doesn't really matter as long as it has an AC ground. though it certianly makes more sense to run a 3 conductor ac wire from place to place. the output from inverer to panel probably is and ac grounds the inverter. (should also have a chassis ground)

also having the inverter before the main breaker I consider to be wrong. but I see it often. should be shore plug to main breaker to inverter to rest of breakers. otherwise when you turn off the main shore breaker the xantrax is still powered and running the charger. everything should be off from the main breaker
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
That's all correct. The owner's manual assumes no isolator, but yes, they connect in the ground line as you describe.
he has a hot and neutral wire feeding his inverter charger from the inlet but the ground goes direct from shore inlet to ac panel ground bus not through the xantrax. certainly not correct. the isolator is irreverent
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:44   #5

Boat: Baba 35

Should have circuit protection before the inverter with the shortest length of wire between the shore power inlet and the circuit protection as is practical.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 20:04   #6

Boat: CSY 44

Thanks to all for the responses. And thanks for pointing out the breaker before inverter issue. I do indeed have the shore power going to a main breaker then to the inverter. So my mistake for saying in original post it was 'direct' from shore power to inverter.

With that, my concern is still that hot and neutral go to inverter together while the ground goes to the AC ground bus. I too thought that all three would go to the inverter together and then out together. Not at the boat at the moment but I will check to see if there is a ground from AC bus to inverter then it is all settled. Thanks again for the help.
duetto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, shore power, wiring