Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2022, 06:31   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Shore power and international travel

Hi everybody, long time no post.

My wife and I have started cruising and we've come up with an interesting question that my search hasn't found an answer for. We have a 30 amp United States Shore power setup. It handles all of our electrical needs quite well, but now that we're about to be going to International ports, we need to figure out how to set up our electrical Shore power for a very specific issue.

Our shore power is basically divided into two things. It goes to our 2000w inverter charger and it also goes direct to our electric panel to run our AC and water heater. Our inverter and 12-volt system runs pretty much everything else on our boat including the outlets the 12 volt refrigerator and the 12 volt water maker.

Our question is, how can we set up our boat to plug into International Shore power where we'll run into 240 volt and 50 hertz with the goal of it being able to run our AC? We don't really need anything else, and we don't really plan on spending lots of time in marinas in the first place. That's why we have solar. But when we are in a marina, we want the air conditioning. Heck, that's probably why we went to the marina in the first place! LOL

So, all of that is to ask the question what is your opinion on how we could wire up a Shore power transformer or inverter for this specific goal? I see no reason to rewire my entire boat or to create dual Electronics systems throughout a 37 ft sailboat for two people whose power needs are pretty much completely met as is. We just want to know that we can safely plug in to anywhere in the world get our AC and a hot shower.

Thanks in advance all of you.
Dan Carroll
Currently in Vieques, PR
SV Ora Wah
tradrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 07:53   #2

Re: Shore power and international travel

Well this is going to sound a bit "unusual" but here goes.

Some quality chargers accept "universal world power" input, e.g. 85-265Vac, 47 - 63Hz

Using a solid House bank as buffer only, chargers sized to feed the aircon and other "AC-only" heavy current loads, only when grid power or a big genset is available.

Big inverters coming out the other side of the bank, in your case to start putting out USA spec AC power to existing appliances.

But then as those break and need replacing, you can install Euro load devices - or whatever! only needing inverters to feed whatever spec AC those appliances want.

The House bank and charger(s) side stay constant, and eventually you may convert over to Euro throughout, but you can work on that as you go, meanwhile having the freedom to buy whatever type load devices you like.

The key concept is, the only connection to shore power, is to the universal-input chargers.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 07:55   #3

The other key guideline, is do not attempt to run high-current load appliances like aircon off stored battery energy, only when you have concurrent high-current AC input to the chargers.
Old 15-03-2022, 08:03   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

An isolation transformer would be a good addition to your boat. An isolation transformer with 2:1 as well as 1:1 connections and a switch would be ideal. Here's one that I think will do the job, but I'd want reassurance that it will do 1:1 as well as 2:1.

Used to be clocks were a problem with synchronous motors. They'd run at 50/60ths speed on European power. I don't know whether modern electronic clocks use the 60 Hz signal for their time source.

https://www.amazon.com/ELC-T-3000-30...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Old 15-03-2022, 09:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
The other key guideline, is do not attempt to run high-current load appliances like aircon off stored battery energy, only when you have concurrent high-current AC input to the chargers.
That's exactly why my set up is the way it is, and thus my issue. AC and water heater are Shore power only, and my boat is set up for US 30Amp Shore power.
So when I get to Caribbean Islands with European spec shore power, I want to be able to plug in and run AC with no worries.
Old 15-03-2022, 10:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
An isolation transformer would be a good addition to your boat. An isolation transformer with 2:1 as well as 1:1 connections and a switch would be ideal. Here's one that I think will do the job, but I'd want reassurance that it will do 1:1 as well as 2:1.

Thanks for the link!
Old 15-03-2022, 12:47   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post

Used to be clocks were a problem with synchronous motors. They'd run at 50/60ths speed on European power. I don't know whether modern electronic clocks use the 60 Hz signal for their time source.

That is not an isolation transformer.

Some Caribbean marinas will rent you a step down transformer that sits on the dock.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 17:56   #8

If the appliances can handle 50hz

Then a proper iso transformer can give you 120v 50hz when plugged into 230

And will auto select when you plug into 120 or 230 to always give 120v

You would want the 3600 auto.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...formers-EN.pdf

But your AC may not handle 50hz. You need to look at the label plates or manual.

If not you will need to power them all though an inverter. And. 2000w may be too small.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 18:08   #9

Boat: Southerly 480

Definitely think about the Victron isolation transformer. It will step down the voltage from 230 to 120. It will not convert the frequency so your devices will need to be able to run on both 60hz and 50hz.

Check your air conditioner and microwave (if you have one). The air con, if it is newish, may run on both 50hz and 60hz. The microwave won't run on 50hz. To use the microwave, you'll have to disconnect from shore and use the inverter only.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 21:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
So when I get to Caribbean Islands with European spec shore power, I want to be able to plug in and run AC with no worries.
Which my reco provides, without changing anything on the AC side.

The universal charger accepts the European spec shore power, and your aircon (all AC appliances) runs off inverters that feed whatever spec they are designed for.

Lots of other benefits, flexibility, go anywhere in the world no worries, buy your new or replacement high efficiency appliances anywhere without worrying about their requirements being different, much better quality than available on 110Vac.

And can do it yourself not pay for marine sparkies unless you want to. Galvanic issues, different RCD / GFCI / ELCB protection and ground fault / leak detection issues

bypass all that mess by making DC your lingua franca all AC usage through inverters
Old 15-03-2022, 22:01   #11

The best solution is a big battery charger and big inverter with a battery bank to act as a buffer. This feeds the air/con unit high quality 120v-60hz power that it was designed for. Also can help out if the shore power voltage is a bit low (but within the charger specs).

A transformer may or may not work as it doesn't address the 50vs60 hertz issue. Even if it's technically within specs, the motors will run and more importantly cool a bit slower, so it may still be bad for them in the long term.

Alternatively, you could get a generator but that can get pricey overseas where fuel prices can be double or triple what you are used to.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 13:16   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark has a 40 amp ProMariner battery charger that is multivoltage. When I sailed from the US to The Netherlands, all I had to do was change the plug on the shore end of the cable.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 13:46   #13

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

An isolation transfer won't solve the 50 hZ to 60 hZ problem. Look at my post under marine marine air conditioning today - the "answer" is an isolation battery charger that meets your average current needs.

Plug it into shore power, hook up the resultant DC to your battery bank, run your inerter, and your equipment sees only 60 Hz, 115 a/c clean power. The battery charger and necessary safety equipment is about $150 and is easy to set up.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 13:59   #14

Sterling and Promariner co-developed those chargers.

Available worldwide from dozens of qualified sellers, and personally I would lean toward Sterling for global service & support.

Ask them for a list of reco sellers.

Not the sort of kit to buy based on price discounting.

Magnum, Victron, Mastervolt are also great.

But "combi" inverter/chargers, need to think carefully about your design, I prefer to keep those functions separate.
Old 17-03-2022, 14:01   #15

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

Lots of thoughtful responses to help you make your decision.

We just spent ~2-1/2 years abroad with a U.S. boat. We opted for a single 60-amp Pro-Nautic battery charger that accepts universal power, 100-250 VAC and 50-60 Hz. We then ran everything off our Victron MultiPlus inverter-charger. The only services not powered were air handling (a/c and heat) and hot water.

During winters in the Med, we bought space heaters that we plugged directly into the shore power pedestal supporting our spot on the marina. We heated hot water for showers using our propane stove, or we showered ashore at the marina showers.

I hope this helps.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power