Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 18:53   #31

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Repair/replace or get rid of generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
A nice, running, diesel genset is quite useful to be fair and it is not that noisy. I am using mine for charging, heating water, cooking, heating/cooling the cabins. I have a small inverter only for electronics and one of the fridges and the microwave.

I could probably do without air conditioning, granted. Charging could be done from the alternators but only under way, it is silly to start the 450 hp Cummins just to charge, heat water or cook. Yes, I could install a diesel heater, it would be more efficient but negligible effect overall. A watermaker is also a useful device that is simpler and cheaper with a generator. Also, reversing the logic mentioned above, if you have a new, reliable generator, you need less battery capacity since you can recharge at will.

I believe the cost of a new generator is comparable to the cost of additional batteries, solar, installing a diesel heater, installing a gas cooker, etc. Some will mention redundancy (i.e. if the generator fails than you need the inverter + the alternators to cook) and that depends a lot on your cruising style and tolerance to risk. With a generator you have the same experience whether at the dock or on anchor. Without one, you have multiple systems for each mode (i.e. electric heaters at the dock, diesel heaters at anchor, engine supplied heat under way and you need to constantly switch among these options - not easy for guests who are new to boating to manage all this).

MV Ithaka
Fix the generator...it will work even when the sun doesn't shine and the wind is calm.
Keep it simple
Icarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:10   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimellifritt View Post
Generators are a luxury, but if your boat has longterm cruising applications, I believe they are a necessity.
Generators are not a luxury. They are an unreliable, noisy lump that needs repairs and maintenance . Cruising life is more luxurious without these hassles.

With alternative power generation systems such as solar panels and large alternators, they are certainly not a necessity for a modern cruising yacht, but it is difficult to convert a generator equiped boat to one that relies on alternative power generation.

If contemplating getting rid of an existing generator, you need to do some careful calculations estimating where the power shortfall can made up. Often systems and equipment need to be replaced for models with greater power efficiency and this can be expensive.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:54   #33

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Well sounds an easy one to me.
The Gen is dead so remove it, keeping it replacing it or not, is a different question. That you can ask yourself later when you know if you miss it or not.
I would probably remove all non functional or not in service equipment. and have a better sailing boat after the weight is removed.
A solar panel or 2 fitted and change all appliances and lighting to low energy.
Wanting to put a water maker back in, might mean a generator is in your future, although you could fill the Generator space with batteries?
I haven’t found a water maker small enough to make it worth my while for coastal use.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, repair