Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 15:40   #31
cruiser

Re: Refrigeration- 50-80% less daily power possible?

This seems like another beat up based on a modicum of fact yet impractical, although most successful for the promoters as there is most likely a truck load of 'research and development' cash available. (remember the Millennium bug fiasco and others since?) Australia like many others, is throwing millions at such projects, many of which are a joke.

Oh and BTW if anyone believes the claims in the OP please contact me, I have a bridge for sale!

The basics of refrigeration are simple but non-bendable although many try! A system simply absorbs heat from inside an insulated cabinet and disposes of that heat elsewhere causing the cabinet's interior and all with in to become colder. Simple!
The amount of heat to be removed is the same regardless of the method, system type etc that is employed.
The key to efficiency is the method of removing that heat, and therefore achieving and maintaining the desired temperature with the minimum battery consumption.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 19:44   #32

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by handmer View Post
A good resource to check if it is an issue on your end is IsUp.me - it will tell you if the issue is on your end or the websites end. Also try removing the s from https in the URL - sometimes if you have a browser issue it won't load the security certificate.

Both those appear to use the same technology, so I'd be hesitant to label them a scam (or a success) without independent testing. The study I linked seems to suggest it's quite a plausible way to reduce load on the electrically driven compressor.

As far as I can tell, they use a thermally powered ejector jet compressor to assists the electrically driven mechanical compressor.

From my research, it doesn't need the air-conditioner to use different working fluid to usual, and the system operates as normal when the thermally driven compressor is not assisting. And sure, the thermally driven compressor is very inefficient considering how much energy it uses for the work it does. But since the energy is free and otherwise wasted, if it is cheap enough to add to the system, then it could reduce running costs.

And I do think that the websites trying to sell these systems are mostly poorly put together, and the efficiency claims are worthless without independent testing.

But the underlying technology is quite interesting, and well worth researching before calling it a scam, or believing the claims.
Totally agree.

I was using that term 'tongue in cheek' because that's how some previous, skeptical posters had referred to this technology. They were inferring that I am gullible to believe in it because they weren't aware of it so how could it be true. They are of course entitled to their opinions, even in the absence of solid facts. I'm more open to it which is why I started the thread.

Yes I also agree that although I am, interested in and confident this technology is real and is being done by a number of people I'm not certain of how it specifically works or well it works. This is the main thrust of this thread to try and find out some more on it. However solid facts on this aren't so easy to come by. It seems strong opinions are though.

New, actually not so new, more not widely known about, technology is bound to get a fair bit of criticism. Look what they did to poor Galileo when he suggested the Earth went around the Sun.

I equate this to electric cars. They were, still are, poo pooed (maybe big Auto encouraged these rumors?), they will never work bla bla. Well Elon isnt buying it. Of course they still have issues as everything does but it is becoming more and more accepted, dare i say it fashionable, technology now.

Most eventually successful technology was first ridiculed, then proclaimed as a break through by some, before it was eventually accepted en mass. Not saying that is the case here yet. But I agree it is interesting technology.

Independent testing, sounds great, I'm all for it. Digging some up is the real trick so far.

Also agreed that a different refrigerant is not required. That was mentioned because one of the company's I linked previously is using R290, which is mostly Propane, to further increase efficiency. In the many studies I have seen about R290 it is actually a more efficient refrigerant, with less head pressures etc. But it also has it's detractors being a HC. But this is a little off topic for this thread.

Also agreed that these company websites are mostly rubbish, for real information.

Thanks also for your tips with getting links to work.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 20:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
So.... how is it possible to put one of these on a boat?
I dont know if, or how it's possible. I have a number of ideas. I know I'm bucking the trend here, but at this point I wouldnt like to shoot my mouth off without facts.

I can't see it is that difficult, although like anything not completely straight forward. It is basically just heat being put into a standard refrigeration system. Most boats have refrigeration systems, ie fridges and some even have, many want if it wasnt so power hungry. There's some heat sources on boats- engines, back of PV panels (the jury's out on this one so far) or another solar thermal collector etc.

Dougtiff a few posts back, has one apparently so hopefully he will give us some more details. I'm sure with the vast wealth of knowledge on here, someone knows (not just opinions) something about this stuff.
Old 20-02-2018, 20:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
This seems like another beat up based on a modicum of fact yet impractical, although most successful for the promoters as there is most likely a truck load of 'research and development' cash available. (remember the Millennium bug fiasco and others since?) Australia like many others, is throwing millions at such projects, many of which are a joke.

Oh and BTW if anyone believes the claims in the OP please contact me, I have a bridge for sale!

The basics of refrigeration are simple but non-bendable although many try! A system simply absorbs heat from inside an insulated cabinet and disposes of that heat elsewhere causing the cabinet's interior and all with in to become colder. Simple!
The amount of heat to be removed is the same regardless of the method, system type etc that is employed.
The key to efficiency is the method of removing that heat, and therefore achieving and maintaining the desired temperature with the minimum battery consumption.

Yes good to hear from you. I wasn't making any claims simply asking the question (indicated by '?' in thread title).

I know you're in the industry. Have you seen these guys doing this or tried it yourself? I agree it sounds counter intuitive using heat to make cool. But I might be wrong about caravan fridges working using a gas flame. I might have to buy your Bridge.

Bridge for sale, I heard you were selling water cooled refrigeration. I regularly see that getting beaten up by all the other 'experts' that know better than you.
Old 20-02-2018, 21:24   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
Yes good to hear from you. I wasn't making any claims simply asking the question (indicated by '?' in thread title).

I know you're in the industry. Have you seen these guys doing this or tried it yourself?
Not these people but there are many similar fund seekers! In 2007 two American guys 'invented' a solar refrigeration system for cooling milk from dairy farms in India. Their presentation was brilliant but total BS!
They come over like they had just invented the wheel! And they convinced the 'experts' into handing over big dollars but the fact is that their 'invention' was simply a dressed up Peltier system from last century and totally useless except for keeping a sandwich cool on a cold day in your lunchbox!! It had no hope of refrigerating quantities of milk, period. Check: https://www.treehugger.com/renewable...ral-india.html

I agree it sounds counter intuitive using heat to make cool. But I might be wrong about caravan fridges working using a gas flame. I might have to buy your Bridge. Ha ha,

Bridge for sale,Still for sale! I heard you were selling water cooled refrigeration. I regularly see that getting beaten up by all the other 'experts' that know better than you. Ahar! But do you notice that those 'experts' only manufacture an air cooled system and just might be a bit prejudiced? We manufacture both and sell more air / water cooled than air only.
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 02:19   #36

The key to efficiency is the method of removing that heat, and therefore achieving and maintaining the desired temperature with the minimum batteryconsumption.

I don’t disagree with your description above. If you’re not using, or using less the electric motor, you are minimizing battery use yes? So if mechanical compression was replaced with something free/ waste or cheap. That might fit this description.

I don’t think not removing all of the heat being put into the system, from the (insulated cabinet/ from the compressor squeezing or Solar thermal), is being suggested. I’m sure this is still all done with the condenser.

I assume you are not saying thermal cooling is a myth? I think it is a pretty well established and accepted technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator In fact it was making ice blocks for our grandparents houses ice chests before compressors were used.

I know you're in the industry. Have you seen these guys doing this or tried it yourself?
Not these people but there are many similar fund seekers!

OK so you haven’t seen this stuff. Neither have I. Sounds like you’re as sure about it not working as the other experts are about water cooled systems not working. No matter how many happy customers you have.

In 2007 two American guys 'invented' a solar refrigeration system for cooling milk from dairy farms in India. Their presentation was brilliant but total BS!

These guys were obviously just misunderstood. I think the American term for these guys would be ‘Entrepreneurial’. Anyway on a serious note nice story so you heard of about a peltier junction scam. I bet they had nice suits and flashy video presentations. Big money loves bling but wouldn’t know an efficient cooler from their ass……ets.

They come over like they had just invented the wheel! And they convinced the 'experts' into handing over big dollars but the fact is that their 'invention' was simply a dressed up Peltier system from last century and totally useless except for keeping a sandwich cool on a cold day in your lunchbox!! It had no hope of refrigerating quantities of milk, period. Check: https://www.treehugger.com/renewable...ral-india.html

Peltier isn’t the technology that is being discussed here though. Nice story though. Peltier junction are accepted as not efficient or large scale.

I agree it sounds counter intuitive using heat to make cool. But I might be wrong about caravan fridges working using a gas flame. I might have to buy your Bridge. Ha ha,

Bridge for sale,Still for sale!

Unfortunately I’m not your man, I’m way too cheap to even buy one of your systems (top of my wish list though. Soon, I’m working down my refit list). Much less a bridge or one of these Solar thermal systems.
By the way I assume this is one of those time honored ‘extra special’ transactions where the new owners aren’t burdened by actual ownership, but have the privilege of handing over large slabs of cash. I do like the look of that coat hanger looking one though.

However, good news perhaps. I might have some potential buyers to put you onto.

https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-re...con-efficiency These guys are cashed with plenty of your Tax dollars. I’m not sure these guys are higher or lower on the credible – bodgy scale.

Or maybe these guys- Ecolinegroup.com - The Next Generation of Air Conditioners

I guess if those customers are gullible enough to think they are happy with their systems then they deserve to be relieved of their bulging wallets.

I heard you were selling water cooled refrigeration. I regularly see that getting beaten up by all the other 'experts' that know better than you. Ahar! But do you notice that those 'experts' only manufacture an air cooled system and just might be a bit prejudiced? We manufacture both and sell more air / water cooled than air only.

Yes for all your satisfied water cooled system customers, what would they know. I’m sure the other experts that don’t sell them because they heard there were some problems with other systems a while back. Sounds like Peltier scams eh. By the way I note you don’t sell this Thermal assisted stuff. I’m sure you’re way above that vested interest bias stuff. Maybe if it wasn’t BS you could beat the competition to market and get that edge.

I guess these other BS sellers must have had some customers, that are blissfully unaware of how badly they’ve been scammed. I haven’t heard of the ACCC onto them or ‘A Current Affairs’ has done a shaky camera shame file piece on them.

I don’t think I’ve forgotten to offend anyone at this rate.

Old 21-02-2018, 03:09   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Just for sh*t and giggles, I looked up their location as per the Contact Us page on their website. I was interested in where they are carrying out their "research and development".

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...creek-qld-4035. Looks like it may be a bit of a "garage operation"

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:23   #38

Ah interesting. That's Solarkool I assume?

Must be emulating the Microsoft startup business story eh. Lol

Tags
refrigeration