Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2019, 19:11   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: older boats circuits and new breakers on shore

Sounds like a good start.

Are you looking at the blue seas 2 position ELCI panel? That does limit you to 2 positions which may be fine.

I have an existing panel and have just added an 8100, ELCI panel to it. The ELCI panel plus an "house" panel allows for expansion. The choice is yours of course.

You could measure the resistance between the neutral and grounding conductors on your charger to be sure that the fault is not in the charger. Also be sure that the charger is rated for a single pole breaker.

As I'm sure you know the neutral and grounding are only bonded together at power "sources". This would be the main panel in your marina feeding the docks, the output of an isolating transformer, the output of an inverter/charger when inverting, and a generator to name a few. Otherwise they should not be bonded anywhere on the boat.

The grounding conductor should be tied to the ships grounding bus (the engine etc). A good reference if you do not have it already is Nigel Calder's Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. (see page 243 to start with).

Also, the ELCI protects the charger (the equipment) but not people so you should have a GFCI outlet for your 110 vac sockets. That is to protect the people. You only need one GFCI on the first outlet. Wired properly that GFCI protects the down stream outlets.

Sounds like you are on track.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Oh, I'll add that on my boat I pulled as much of the old wiring (it is a 1975 boat) as I could. (almost all of it) I do not like any leftover wires.

How can one tell if they are energized or not when they are just hanging there.

Did I forget one and it has a lethal voltage on it?
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:40   #18

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Sounds like a good start.

Are you looking at the blue seas 2 position ELCI panel? That does limit you to 2 positions which may be fine.

sold with 2 plus 3? open for adding,but my 110 v needs are very limited on board

As I'm sure you know the neutral and grounding are only bonded together at power "sources". T

right

The grounding conductor should be tied to the ships grounding bus (the engine etc). A good reference if you do not have it already is Nigel Calder's Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. (see page 243 to start with).

Also, the ELCI protects the charger (the equipment) but not people so you should have a GFCI outlet for your 110 vac sockets. That is to protect the people. You only need one GFCI on the first outlet. Wired properly that GFCI protects the down stream outlets.

Sounds like you are on track.
thanks
will see how it works
davil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:57   #19

just received my brand new blue seas 2 position ELCI panel,nice looking panel,as well as a set of smart plug outlet to replace the old marinco.
My plan is to install the SmartPlug system first,then run a 110v marine grade Ancor from the inlet directly to the new panel.
From the new panel will use two(provided) breakers to two different circuits.
One breaker to service/connect the battery charger,the second circuit/breaker to service/connect the 110 v house type outlets have in the boat.
Intend to bypass the original main AC/DC factory installed panel.
This should provide me with both AC and DC systems totally independent from each other as well as to avoid the "common ground" currently in the engine.
Because the AC returns the "green" ground protection uninterrupted to shore I believe this meets all the safety required and if I add the GFCI replacement upgrade for those outlets currently installed I should be OK?
Or no?
thanks for your help.
PS
obviously my AC needs are very basic,currently serviced by a 12 gauge electric extension wire
Old 03-02-2019, 13:04   #20

If the original issue is with the charger internally. You will still trip the breakers. And will need to be replaced.

If the issue was in the wiring. Then yiu should be ok now. Remove all the old ac wiring.

Make sure you connect the dc neg to the ac ground (green). At one point. Like a jumper between the ac and dc panel.

If the outlets are dasiy chained. Yiu would only need one gfi outlet as the first one.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:43   #21

thanks
the charger is a ProNautic 1250P installed new about 3 months ago,currently connected with a plug to a brand new 12 gauge extension cord that is fed from the dock 110 v inlet with NO tripping the marina panel.
I believe the charger is OK based on not having the tripping issues.
On your posting
"Make sure you connect the dc neg to the ac ground (green)"
not sure I understand as to why,as now I am wired from the charger via a red positive to the positive battery terminal,the black DC from the battery charger properly sized for ampicity goes to negative battery post.
Not sure why need to connect this negative conductor to the "green"?
Not arguing just asking.
thanks
David
Old 03-02-2019, 14:11   #22

the AC grounding (green) gets connected to DC neg as that is ABYC code for north america, and is a safty thing. if you are elsewhere, you'll have to find out what's done there. but it is common

see diagram 3 on page 10 for your setup, diagram says engine neg or bus. I use the bus. IE battery neg bus bar or the battery neg post itself.

http://www.elettronavigare.it/files/...0americane.pdf

that charger should also have the chassis ground cable. (bolt on left side of case) from charger to the battery neg as well.

I would also recommend a galvanic isolator if you don't have one
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 14:17   #23

thanks
will do
Old 03-02-2019, 14:41   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Have been having frequent breakers tripping incidents and no significant changes made on the boat as far as loads or new items added.
The only change is the replacement with new breakers on shore by the marina to comply with GFCI protection.
Asked a marine electrician to look at my set up as is a new (old) boat and has the usual (unusual)wires in the panel.
After a major clean up the breakers kept tripping,finally my electrician called the office for standards and if I understand it has to do with the new breakers/panels been installed with GFCI protection and that affects ONLY older boats where AC and DC at certain sections share a common grounding???
My suggestion to install a new dedicated AC panel isolated from any DC load did not work as the electrician indicated the areas of contact can be "anywhere"in the boat?
his solution at this time was to separate the supply to the batteries charger from the original panel to a dedicated electric extension running from the dock box to the charger.
It works but cannot see this as a permanent solution.
Anybody knows about this???
Newer boats do not seem to display this problem.
Absolutely BIZZARE ! You need to hire a qualified, ABYC Certified marine electrician, this guy is clueless. Tripping is caused by a leak. If he can't find it, hire someone who can. As Smac999 said, AC ground to DC negative is a safety issue and must be maintained.

If running a separate shorepower (extension cord) line direct to the charger, it must also go through an onboard circuit breaker. Did you fit one ?

Tags
boat