Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 14:32   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
New solar installation , Victron controllers ramping up then down

Im not sure what I’ve down wrong but both controllers are doing the same thing. They both ramp up production ( volt 89, amp45) and then fall to 0 then ramp up production again. Its s cycle that continues non stop, I thought that maybe the Victron rep had recommended too small of controllers so to test that I removed 1 panel. Same result Of ramping up( 44 volt 23 amps) And falling to 0.

Here is my system in order. (. There are 2 identical systems)

2x 380 panels in series
10 gauge marine wire 12ft
15 amp in line fuse
10 gauge marine wire 12ft
100/50 victron solar controler
8 gauge wire 2ft
50 amp breaker
8 gauge wire 2ft
Backside of house bank shut off switches

Any pointers Would be appreciated. I have a video I’m going to try to load of the controllers ramping up and shutting down
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 14:36   #2

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Re: New solar installation , Victron controllers ramping up then down

Solution(s)

1. Remove the connections to the back of the battery shut off’s as the input for the power. Move the two positive leads to battery one on the chain in the negative leads to the shunt after battery five on the chain. ( 5 battery chain)

2. Installed 70 amp breaker’s instead of 50 amp breaker’s between the controllers and the batteries. The local Victron rep said that the circuit breakers should be at 120% of whatever the controller is rated for.

This fixed the problems we were having and now everything seems to be going very smoothly
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, ramp, solar