Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 07:09   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Need reliable inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I have had a Victron fail and a Xantrex do the same , I am going with an off marine brand made in the USA.... Vanner.... , big heavy bulky, not fancy , no switching or charging . Just a basic inverter . I have seen these thing fall out of moving trucks on highways and still keep working . Not cheap but bullet proof , I hope . Charles inverters are re-branded Vanners and get rave reviews.

On more thing , they answer there phone and emails , and parts and service is readily available.

Regards

Marine: Power Inverters

Inverter Charger, Power Inverter, Battery Equalizer, Battery Monitoring

Just an update to this thread , I repaired the Xantrex SW2000, just opened it up and replaced the electrolytic capacitors , there are four of them , 22000uF. Put it all back together and it worked flawlessly !
I also bought myself a Vanner Brutus 2400w inverter . This thing is built like a tank, Looks like it was never used , measured and tested it, and all is good . It has a high Idle current 7 amps , but a very good sleep mode circuit, not good for running small loads as most inverters are inefficient at lower power applications , You really want to have a good job for them to do before waking one up. .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:58   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Just an update to this thread , I repaired the Xantrex SW2000, just opened it up and replaced the electrolytic capacitors , there are four of them , 22000uF. Put it all back together and it worked flawlessly ! ...........
Four capacitors failed at the same time? How did you diagnose the problem? Did you find a schematic? If so, where?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Four capacitors failed at the same time? How did you diagnose the problem? Did you find a schematic? If so, where?
I got the blue smoke of death . I only know of one thing that smokes like that , electrolytic caps. Didn't have a schematic, just jumped in took it apart and sure enough all the caps had leaked and over heated , there not hard or expensive to change so why not , the rest looked good . It all worked , and has been for the last month , and I use it a full capacity .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:50   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I got the blue smoke of death . I only know of one thing that smokes like that , electrolytic caps. Didn't have a schematic, just jumped in took it apart and sure enough all the caps had leaked and over heated , there not hard or expensive to change so why not , the rest looked good . It all worked , and has been for the last month , and I use it a full capacity .

Regards
I understand. There's a possibility that they failed for a reason but replacing them was cheap and it may last a long time. Or it may not. Time will tell.

Tags
inverter