Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23   #1

Balmar over voltage question

On our catamaran we have a pair of Balmar, 6 Series, Alternators with Balmar MC-612 regulators joined by a centerfield. No problems for 7 years. Recently, we have experienced a short duration (2-5 sec) voltage spike of more than 16 volts at the battery. Our VHF sounds an alarm if the voltage exceeds ~ 15.5 volts. If I’m quick I can see the analog volt meter pegged at max; greater than 16 volts. We’ve had 3 events in the past 3 days seemingly at random and hard to diagnosis. Next trip out I’ll run mostly with one engine and see if it still occurs. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Jim
s/v Imagine
2atsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Balmar over voltage question

Check your sense wire connections.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I agree. It sounds like a loose voltage sensor wire. I would check that before you do anything. Don't wait for a 16 volt voltage spike to possibly cause damage to your electronics.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:13   #4

Thanks guys.

The connections visually look ok. But when I wiggle one the resistance changes a bit. So I replaced that connector. I'll know more next week when we do some motoring.

Jim
2atsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

With all of your boats electronics turned off, start your engine dockside and try wiggling all of the wires at your alternator. Does the system voltage spike? I think the chances are pretty good that you will isolate the problem down to one wire....if you have not fixed the problem already by changing out that connector.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17   #6

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Same type of problem with my 612...the spade conn(male) at the regulator was corroded. The 612 is located under the galley sink and got a little "moist" over the years.
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:42   #7

Boat: Niagara 35

I had a similar problem. It wasn't the sense wire, it was the 612 ground wire. You need both to be solid to get a true reading.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:03   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Could be worth temporarily rigging a large digital voltmeter where it can be watched. If anything in the regulation goes nuts, an alternator can burn itself out in 30 seconds. If it only goes a little crazy, 16 or 17 volts on the system can eat a lot of electronics and lighting.

Very much worth some immediate & thorough testing, and if it is something as easy to fix as a corroded or loose wire...MUCH cheaper to fix the wire.

We diddle the clocks an hour this weekend: Consider it well spent on your alternator.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar