Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 09:36   #1

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Mystery DC Panel?

Can anyone identify this DC panel? Very well constructed and laid out, has backlit labels and small led indicator lights. The panel appears to be made in one unit so the "labels" are glued into the plastic. Thus, the problem, I'd like to reuse for another application. The labels aren't a standard size, slightly larger and I'm afraid I'd break the panel getting them out.

Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 22:18   #2

Re: Mystery DC Panel?

Looks the same as the bluesea labels. Which are sticky and Just pop out.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 00:31   #3

Wish it were as easy as that. The labels are integrated into the panel. I tried to "pop" them out, but they appear to be glued in place and the thickness of the panel. A very different system than Blue Sea. I have a Blue Sea AC panel that I just installed so I know their label system.

The panel doesn't have a brand name, just the compass symbol in the previous post. I've seen the design before but can't remember the company. It appears to be custom made. It is quite a sophisticated panel so I was hoping they might be able to relabel for me, if I can find the manufacturer.
Old 16-01-2021, 02:47   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s probably a one off run by some company for a specific line of boats.

If you want to use it, you could use it as is, or start taking it apart despite your worries.

Those are really your only options.

If those really are labels and not plastic, you can get at them from one side or the other. If they are plastic, you’ll need to improvise and get out the Dremel to make replacements from some Lexan or Acrylic sheet material after popping these originals out.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 06:23   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s probably a one off run by some company for a specific line of boats.
If you want to use it, you could use it as is, or start taking it apart despite your worries.
Those are really your only options.
If those really are labels and not plastic, you can get at them from one side or the other. If they are plastic, you’ll need to improvise and get out the Dremel to make replacements from some Lexan or Acrylic sheet material after popping these originals out.
Yes, might be a matter of a careful rework to get them off.
I would start by cutting down the middle just through the label and maybe loosening the side seams with a hobby type knife or single edge razor if you are more comfortable with that. Then a small chisel working from the middle out so as not to damage the edges of the label 'hole' that are to remain on the panel. I admire you wanting to do a nice job of it rather than HVAC tape and permanent markers down the whole right side...I am considering making my new panel have a bit of that old custom panel feel too.

As far as replacements go that will be tougher unless you find the originals, have some made, or settle for slightly smaller going back in their places. One of those label making machines might work, make them slightly bigger than the recess then trim to fit after installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label_remove.png
Views:	62
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	230474   Click image for larger version

Name:	staples_label_maker.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	230475  

Old 16-01-2021, 07:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You could apply (glue or screw) custom engraved plastic “Lamacoid” labels, over the existing labels.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You could apply (glue or screw) custom engraved plastic “Lamacoid” labels, over the existing labels.
We use the Lamacoid material at work to make all sorts of stuff, like ID badges for machines and the name plates people put on their little mail boxes outside of their cubicles at work. We engrave them with a CO2 laser. Image from Badgeworks Plus on Etsy:

We also work with outside vendors when we need more fancy stick-on graphics for displays and kiosk type applications. They will start with an acrylic base and then color print on a sticky-backed vinyl that covers over the acrylic. There are consumer grade materials for this too.

https://www.displays2go.com/P-31846/...SABEgLwIPD_BwE

https://www.stickeryou.com/blog/post...icker-material
Old 16-01-2021, 09:11   #8

Possibly the worst idea ever, but, would a heat gun soften the glue enough to remove?
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 10:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Galateia View Post
Possibly the worst idea ever, but, would a heat gun soften the glue enough to remove?
I would not use (worst) to describe this.
It may work, it may not, depends on the glue used.
Only issue I see is protecting the rest of the graphic that needs to be saved.

Maybe some sort of metal plate with a hole about the size of the piece to be removed used as a heat shield over the rest?
Old 17-01-2021, 16:32   #10

Great ideas, you gave me heart - I figured out how it came apart.

Impressive board, it may be a bit older but some very good thinking went into it. in back of the labels are a four LEDs with two plexiglass panels to distribute the light. Nice little circuit boards to green indicator LEDs. Looks nice when backlit

The backside of the board showing how clean the design is

Took me an hour to figure out how to get the labels out. They are 1 3/4 inches wide, 1/2 inch high and 1/32 thick. They are so well inlayed that they only need a little adhesive. There is a small hole where you can poke them out. So small I didn't notice, then a dope slap

Blue Sea labels are quite different, smaller and thinner. These appear to be custom but are the same measurements as envelope return labels. I'm thinking this might be a standard size. I'm going to talk to my engraver tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Thanks again for your thoughts - I still would like to know who made this board so if you have an idea please let me know
Old 17-01-2021, 17:50   #11

Thanks for posting the solution. I would not have guessed they pushed out from the inside through a small hole. It does look like a nicely designed panel.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:56   #12

Boat: Yamaha 33

I always wondered what that stuff was called. Thanks, Gord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote