Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2023, 08:54   #1

Boat: Buchan 37
Looking for solar suppliers

I have a Buchan 37 which I converted to electric a few years ago and am looking to add solar panels. Most of the hits I get on search engines are for installers. Some manufacturers sell direct, but it would be nice to see comparisons so a site that sells from multiple manufacturers would be great. Can anybody direct me toward a good online seller, preferably that sells multiple brands? I'm kind of surprised to find it so hard to find a seller. Thanks.
Old 26-09-2023, 09:38   #2

Re: Looking for solar suppliers

If you're based the US, I hate to say it, but Amazon has the best prices and selection on solar I have seen. I would buy a brand name like Renogy though.

I have had these Renogy 175 watters for 3 years and they're great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, people will tell you that flex panels are great, but in my experience, nothing beats a high-quality solid panel like those above.
Old 26-09-2023, 10:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I second on Amazon & Renogy. We have three 175 watt panels in parallel, generating roughly 20 amps mid-day feeding a Renogy 30A MPPT controller.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 10:36   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I just went through an absolute nightmare trying to find panels to fit my arch. I wanted to get the most power possible, but had it in the morning rather rigid maximum size constraints. Amazon is probably the best because they provide dimensions. They will also sell you small quantities, as in one or two panels. There are companies that specialize in solar panels, but they will rarely sell less than 5 or 10 panels at a time. They also very the dimensions in the downloadable in spec sheets rather than listed right on the product description.

As you look at solar panel vendors and offerings, remember that you will not get more than about 200 watts per square meter. That's an easy to remember number to do an easy reality check on a panel that seems too good to be true. It's not as easy to remember, and I don't, but it is also worth doing a check on watts per pound. Pull up one you know, such as renogy, and calculate watts per pound as a comparison against other vendors. If their listed weight is 60% of what it ought to be, that would be a red flag.

Someone cautioned on flexible panels. My boat came with some Solbian (a premium vendor) flexible panels about a decade old. The surface is a hazy gray and the output is about 30% of rated. Flexible is nice, and they do weigh less, but I don't think they have longevity and they certainly cost more.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 10:38   #5

Boat: IP 44

Check out https://www.sunpoweredyachts.com/shop

Great service and communication. I recently bought a large 470w panel from them. The shipping for large panels is pricey tho. I think the owners are sailors as well. They also sell good quality accessories (Victron, Bussman, etc) at competitive prices.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 09:22   #6

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I would buy a brand name like Renogy though.
I second that. I bought Renogy panels for my boat earlier this year and everything about the experience has been positive: Good price, quick delivery, easy installation, worked right out of the box with no complications, and continue to work reliably.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 10:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

just bought two 220 watt bifacial panels from renogy from site listed on this forum a couple of weeks ago-- shipped promptly- price was good and they listed all dimensions accurately. website was a little clunky but did allow me to compare different offerings.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 11:01   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Anacortes is still in the US, right? If so then yes, I recommend Renogy as well. I just got four of their 450W bifacial panels, using their direct website and all was good

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 05:09   #9

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I go with Renogy, you can purchase them at Loews/Home Depot or directly from Renogy
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar