Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 03:00   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Looking for gas gen 230V 2000W range with extended range tank for max 800Euro

Hi all,
I am looking for a 230V Mobil gas generator in the 2000W range for 800Euro max that can run an extended range gas tank.

Cannot justify spending 1800 Euro for the Honda eu22i for the amount I need it in reality and there are many well working ones out there.
Problem is the extended range gas tank solution only works on a very few of them and besides the Honda I can only find US versions that i get a kit for and confirm to work.
https://bdteletalk.com/extended-fuel...for-generator/

Reason is I will fix install the gen but the location it has to go (fitting exhaust and air intake from a former Webcasto heater) I cannot refill it but with the extended fuel tank I simply use the backup outboard tank stowed next to it anyhow. Easy to take out and refill or swap for the outboard tank in use, well I won’t need to refill often anyhow. It’s for the seldom 10x a year where my 2000W solar array is not enough due to bad weather for 3+ days charging via 170A shorepower chargers.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 03:20   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Looking for gas gen 230V 2000W range with extended range tank for max 800Euro

The most popular portable generator in Australia is the Gentrax Inverter Generator. I have a 3.5KW but they do have a 2KW model.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rator&_sacat=0

https://outbackreview.com.au/best-ca...tor_-_20Kw_Max

https://www.travellin-lite.com.au/th...Australia_2022
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 03:46   #3

Re: Looking for gas gen 230V 2000W range with extended range tank for max 800Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
thank you. Looking for Europe.
the 3,5Kw doesn't fit in location I need to put it. they are easy to extend as they have a proper fuel pump you can tie into with a splitting valve. not so the small 2kw ones. Most cannot be extended.

good cheap gens are plenty too here but I need one that can run an extended range gas tank and a confirmed fitting range extender kit is available.
Westinghouse 2200i one is the only from the US list available here in 230V but the kit doesn't fit and work...

or do you have kits available and confirmed to work for some of the gens in the review in Australia ?
Old 13-12-2022, 04:36   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I think this is what you need maybe?

https://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s...t-hnd1-2000is/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 06:02   #5

You're going to do a permanent install, below decks, of an air cooled, air exhaust portable generator?

1) You're going to have an issue with heat

2) You're going to have an issue with properly exhausting it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 16:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You're going to do a permanent install, below decks, of an air cooled, air exhaust portable generator?

and he stores gas tanks below deck?....
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 17:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

and ... the chances of getting insurance are non-existent with a non-ignition protected gas generator in the same compartment as a gas tank.
Old 14-12-2022, 18:00   #8

Quote:

I am having a FP Lavezzi cat with seperate engine rooms at the transom. There is nothing in beside engine and saildrives, even hot water boilers are under the bed in the aft cabins taking heat out of the engine rooms.
1) no heat issues as the gas gen and the engine won‘t run at the same time. Tested that already with the Honda eu22i from my buddy boat. If I accidentally need to I simply open the engine room door.
2) no issue with properly exhausting it, there is actually already an exhaust installed with thruhull from an old webasto heating that fits for a 2000W gen, for the Honda eu22i you can get the same diameter I have installed. An additional air Feed from outside is installed 2 for the webasto.
3) an outboard tank will be used, venting tube goes directly to the outside.
Alternatively I can just run a pipe from the outboard tank that’s stored outside under the solar arch/Davits.that adds gravity feeding…and build a box for the gen that’s mounted outside under the solar arch, disadvantage I loose the additional damping from the engine bay/room.
I have to open the engine room door anyhow to pull the starter, so any fumes that could be there evaporate to the outside.

As said thats for use 10 times a year as emergency backup, not for daily use…which you actually could.
Old 14-12-2022, 18:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I think this is what you need maybe?

https://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s...t-hnd1-2000is/
That’s what I found too, besides the Yamaha which cost 1500Euro and you posted there is no Europe 230V version available for the models they confirm fitting.

I know there is a 600Euro 2000W 230V gen with a kit that fits but I cannot remember brand and kit supplier and don‘t find it on the web.