Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2022, 04:44   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
How long can a starting battery sit?

Every discussion on here is always about the house bank. Did you ever notice that?

Boy do I know my way around a house bank.

I have a question about starting batteries.

my outboard starting batteries have been sitting for I suppose three years? They were working fine when they started sitting.

they are an island onto themselves. They are not attached to the main electrical system in any way.

so how long do you think these can last just sitting there? Do you think it’s a reasonably good assumption that they will charge up from the outboards and still work if I jump start them?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 04:53   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: How long can a starting battery sit?

You might be better with a trickle charger rather than jump starting.
Slow and steady should bring them back better.
Still no guarantees of course!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 05:01   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
You might be better with a trickle charger rather than jump starting.
Slow and steady should bring them back better.
Still no guarantees of course!
OK. Sounds reasonable. What about just letting the engine charge it as you motor though? That’s a trickle charge, yes?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 05:11   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
OK. Sounds reasonable. What about just letting the engine charge it as you motor though? That’s a trickle charge, yes?
whether or not its a trickle charge from the Outboards will depend on their charging output. If you put the batteries away 3 years ago and they are conventional FLA then they probably have a low level of charge left and Sulfation may begin to come into play. Get them charged ASAP Even the outboards output will be better than nothing, but I would run and charge them all the way back to full, don't partially charge them at this point.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 05:36   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Sitting for 3 years without being charged at all, I'd expect them to have self discharged enough to sulfate and become junk. Particularly for flooded batteries.

Generally, I don't like to let any battery sit for more than about a month without some charging to keep it topped off.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 05:43   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Depends on the battery. Odyssey AGMs state they loose only 3% of capacity after 12 months of sitting unused.
Also depends on ambient temperatures - hot is bad.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 05:44   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Impossible to say for sure. Depends on type of battery, state of battery, location, and probably the whims of battery angels and demons.

All I can tell you is, I left my starter (and house) battery alone and unattended for 33 months. When I came back to the boat it measured 12.5v before any loads were added. I got it fully charged and it has performed just fine all season (as has the house bank).

I'm in Newfoundland. It's cold for 1/2 the year, but not deeply cold. And for the other 1/2 it is pretty warm (hitting over 32ºC this summer many times). The batteries were fully charged and then completely disconnected from all circuits (as in, I took ALL leads off the batteries). No charging was provided for 33 months. These are flooded, maintenance-free batteries.

By all I thought I knew about batteries (mostly gleaned from CF ), these batteries should have been long-dead, but they weren't. So maybe the common wisdom about batteries isn't so true... or perhaps there's a lot more complexity to the question. At this point I don't know what to believe about batteries.
Old 13-09-2022, 07:03   #8

If it was battery, my first step before giving them any charge, would be to check them with a multimeter. If discharged, I'd assume it's been discharged for a long time and replace it.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 07:05   #9

Lead acid batteries are happiest at 100% charge.

After 3yrs, they have likely self discharged quite a bit. What is the voltage reading on them? If you are talking jump start, I assume it's not a good sign.

From here out, it's likely a carp shoot. They may or may not take a charge and if they do...They might be fine for a few years. They might fail tomorrow.

I would check the water levels and fill with distilled water. Then put on a low amp charger for a day and see where things are at? This assumes you have a backup means of starting (connect to the house bank, pull start the outboard, etc...) If it's the sole means of starting, I wouldn't mess with them.

Assuming it's a single modestly sized 12v battery, just get a new one. This is likely why you don't see a lot of people wringing their hands over the starting battery. For $75-100 you can have new. A big house battery bank can run several hundred, even thousands of dollars, so trying to save it is far more useful.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 08:05   #10

Letting any lead battery just sit for months without topping up is abusive and will drastically shorten useful lifespan.

Years fuggedaboudit

If their reliability is critical to your use case, just replace them now with new, and resolve to take better care of them.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 08:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Only one way to find out.
Charge 'em up best you can and see if they will hold the charge.
I tend to agree with above, that after 3 years with no charge, they will likely be duds.
Prior to charging you might want to check the fluid level in the bats.
I got $10 sez they are likely dry as a bone.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 18:09   #12

those batteries are going to be toast. what's the voltage? 0v I bet. they should have be fully charged every couple months. or left on a battery tender.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 18:09   #13

Yes I meant topping up in both senses for FLA units
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 21:13   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

My FLA's(house-deep cycle,start-common auto/truck)sit for 6 mos Nov thru Apr,aboard the boat,Neg wires disconnected,about same climate as NFLD. Have done this for 14yrs.
In Apr,they read 12.5. I hook up the Neg cables,start the engine & go.
They do get "grunty" at 5yrs old.
I replace them with like bats.
Works for me.
I also find that my road vehicle batteries work about the same way-except they get used year round.
Cheers/Len
Old 14-09-2022, 02:48   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

The engines are not meant to charge a battery, more to maintain one.

Either way, if these batteries have been sitting three years unattended and they’re dead now (what is the resting voltage if any) they’re toast. Like other posters have said, sulphation has done its work.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery