Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2020, 20:00   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36
Honda EU2200ic Companion reverse polarity

Good Morning everyone- need some help please.
I have a 2008 Beneteau 36CC and recently bought a Honda EU2200ic companion generator so that I can have Air con etc away from shore power.
When I connect the Honda to my shore power inlet my panel "reverse polarity" light comes on. I am using the same power cord that works without issue with several marinas during the past month. I have 2 shore power cords, both give the same result.
Can I simply reverse 2 wires in one cord and then reserve it only for the Honda ? OR ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Don
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 21:57   #2

Re: Honda EU2200ic Companion reverse polarity

It’s because the gen does not have the ground and neutral connected. .

It’s not reverse pol. It’s a floating ground voltage at some random number.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 04:42   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

The standard fix, and the one i did, is to take a plug and connect its ground and common wire and plug it into the generaor.
Old 18-01-2020, 17:41   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Thanks Sailor Boy
Just to be clear-put a jumper between ground and common ?
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 18:10   #5
CLOD

Yes

If you are unsure google it and there are youtubes
Old 18-01-2020, 19:26   #6

If you are unsure about an electrical connection on a boat (especially) just DON"T do it! It's dangerous!

Trust your life to a random youtuber? Really?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 04:45   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you are unsure about an electrical connection on a boat (especially) just DON"T do it! It's dangerous!

Trust your life to a random youtuber? Really?
Yes, you are much better asking a random internet forum poster or boater
Old 19-01-2020, 07:20   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yes, you are much better asking a random internet forum poster or boater
My wife fixed our reverse polarity issue with the eu2000 and we made a YouTube video about it. That means we’re random you-tubers AND random Internet forum-posters.

1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 08:40   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
My wife fixed our reverse polarity issue with the eu2000 and we made a YouTube video about it. That means we’re random you-tubers AND random Internet forum-posters.

Means that you are double not to be believed
Old 19-01-2020, 10:13   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend you do not do that. A shore power cord may never have neutral and ground connected. Also, the generator is just fine as it is. Change the “rev.pol.” label into “rev.pol/generator” and you will be safe as can be.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 00:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend you do not do that. A shore power cord may never have neutral and ground connected. Also, the generator is just fine as it is. Change the “rev.pol.” label into “rev.pol/generator” and you will be safe as can be.
every dock will have the neutral and ground connected. so will every on board marine gen. and every marine inverter. it's code. the honda gen does not meet abyc code.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 05:02   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
every dock will have the neutral and ground connected. so will every on board marine gen. and every marine inverter. it's code. the honda gen does not meet abyc code.
No they don’t. Ashore, the neutral and ground are connected at the transformer.

When you are not connected to shore power, you are perfectly safe when your generator has no connection between ground and neutral.
Old 21-01-2020, 06:15   #13
CLOD

If i didn't connect the common and neutral at my EU2200i besides the reverse polarity light being on, it would trip my panel trip pak shore power breaker.

Please return to your bicker battle.
Old 21-01-2020, 07:24   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The neutral and ground (in the US at least) are connected at the electrical service entrance or in separately derived system (ie generator) at the separately derived system.

Many main shore power circuit breakers have a trip coil (in addition to the reverse polarity light set up) that will trip off the main breaker if a significant voltage exists between the neutral and ground. If the neutral is left floating then that trip coil might see enough voltage to trip off the main.

If you sleep better with the neutral and ground connected, then make a dummy plug with the neutral (silver screw) and ground connected and plug it into one side of the duplex receptacle.

Either way it really ain't a big deal. I worry a lot more about CO poisoning when operating a Honda aboard then any shock hazard.

I still maintain that Honda did not make the ungrounded neutral decision lightly, and don't operate mine on Cbreeze often but when I do just let the neutral float just like the ship does.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 08:51   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
The neutral and ground (in the US at least) are connected at the electrical service entrance or in separately derived system (ie generator) at the separately derived system.

Many main shore power circuit breakers have a trip coil (in addition to the reverse polarity light set up) that will trip off the main breaker if a significant voltage exists between the neutral and ground. If the neutral is left floating then that trip coil might see enough voltage to trip off the main.

If you sleep better with the neutral and ground connected, then make a dummy plug with the neutral (silver screw) and ground connected and plug it into one side of the duplex receptacle.

Either way it really ain't a big deal. I worry a lot more about CO poisoning when operating a Honda aboard then any shock hazard.

I still maintain that Honda did not make the ungrounded neutral decision lightly, and don't operate mine on Cbreeze often but when I do just let the neutral float just like the ship does.

Frankly
Indeed, but when a Honda generator that has ground isolated from it’s hot and neutral leads triggers the trip coil, then it means something else is wrong with the wiring, like on Sailor1’s boat (his boat defies all laws of nature though so anything can be expected there).

For non techs: if the generator has no connection with ground, there can never be a voltage to ground. When such a voltage is measured (trips a breaker coil) then there is a problem with the wiring aboard (isolation failure). Imagine you take a 1 foot piece of wire and connect it to nothing. Now measure voltage between that wire and the neutral of a running generator. There should not be a reading. The ground wiring of the boat should only have a connection to neutral when on inverter power (relay inside inverter)

Using a plug like Frankly subscribes, addresses the symptom of a flipping breaker, but does not fix the cause.

Tags
honda