Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 11:29   #16

Re: Honda EU2000 and AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Just curious but could the Honda 2000's be used in parralell for starting load and then run one after started to lessen fuel usage and noise?

They could, but based on my experiences with multpile 15K BTU RV A/C units, you don't want to hear a Honda 2000 screaming it's guts out. Perhaps these marine A/Cs are more efficient, but I can't imagine why these companies would make one unit less efficient than another of the same size.

The Dometic Duo Therm 15K BTU unit draws 15.2 Amps, continuous. The Honda Eu2000i puts out 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A).

The Advent 13.5K BTU rooftop marine A/C draws 12.4 Amps, the 15K BTU unit draws 13.5 Amps.

So the RV unit draws too much, the 13.5K BTU marine unit draws .9 amps less than max output of a Honda 2000 and the 15K BTU unit draws .2 amps more than the Honda puts out, but...

it appears the Webasto only needs about 10.9 amps, quite a bit more efficient than other brands.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
A friend just gave me a Honda 2000- it wont quite start my AC unit which is a 16k Webasto. How do i go about cost effectively modifying the AC unit so that it does not have such a larger starting load- The generator can handle it if it is already running as the running load is nothing like the start load. Not looking to spend a ton of money - is there a simple cheap solution that will work?
Add another honda 2000, run them in series, as it happens I have a 2000 with an extended fuel tank for sale. $500 key largo.
Floridakeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:20   #18

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Wouldn't the Honda have a governor that you could by-pass until the AC unit is fully running , then take off the by-pass , let it run the way it normally would ?
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Wouldn't the Honda have a governor that you could by-pass until the AC unit is fully running , then take off the by-pass , let it run the way it normally would ?
The problem is not that the generator is governed below what the A/C needs, it just does not produce enough power for most A/C units.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:44   #20

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Socaldmax and others have the answer: a soft start like this one by Dometic.

We use a Honda EU2000i to start and run an 8,000 BTU Dometic AC/Heat with a soft start no problem.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 14:07   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

There's lots of threads on this here on CF. The Honda should be able to start and run the AC, but you probably are going to need a hard start capacitor kit or a soft start unit to do it.
Old 27-04-2015, 14:30   #22

Don't know much about either of these units
But in the world of TV studios we always
turned on the air handlers first waited a minute or two
then the compressors. This created less of a demand surge
I guess the equivilant would be to first turn on Fan
Wait a bit then turn on cool
So that they are not drawing their respective start current at the same time
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 14:42   #23

Boat: Selene 47

Just a suggestion.

1) buy the soft start capacitor, install, and the Honda 2K generator still screams.(Noisy)
2) buy another Honda 2K generator, parallel kit and they are hardly working. ( much quieter)

Also the fuel consumption is probably less running 2, versus 1 with a heavy load.
An example would be, start one of the generators, switch the ECO switch of and notice how much louder it gets. Now imagine full load on it and it gets even louder.
The twin setup is so much quieter.

But remember, sound travels a lot farther on water than land, you will need to consider your neighbors no matter what you do.

Good luck.
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 14:58   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakeyz View Post
Add another honda 2000, run them in series, as it happens I have a 2000 with an extended fuel tank for sale. $500 key largo.
Run them in "series"? I'm not taking any electrical advice from you. If it were actually possible to connect them in series you would end up with 240 volts AC and the same current capacity. Just like with batteries.

I think it would be a royal PITA to have two portable generators on a boat and to start both of them every time I turned the air conditioner on but I suppose some folks would be OK with it.

BYW: For those who are suggesting to use two generators to start the AC and then turning one off, keep in mind that the AC cycles on and off on its own so that's not really going to work.
Old 27-04-2015, 15:09   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
For inverter gensets, it is.

I've even seen videos where people have paralleled an inverter with a genset, paralleled grid tie inverters with battery powered inverters, etc.

All of the inverters that "boost" or power share with a genny are syncing themselves to the genny.
Hell, that being the case it may be a good solution to kick starting an AC.

I'm a dinosaur. AC power was made at the windings. Never to old to learn.

I'm sure it wasn't a cheap inverter. Someone posted a link with wave forms the other day, some modified where square wave or close to it. I would have expected sawtooth?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 15:24   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Run them in "series"? I'm not taking any electrical advice from you. If it were actually possible to connect them in series you would end up with 240 volts AC and the same current capacity. Just like with batteries.

I think it would be a royal PITA to have two portable generators on a boat and to start both of them every time I turned the air conditioner on but I suppose some folks would be OK with it.

BYW: For those who are suggesting to use two generators to start the AC and then turning one off, keep in mind that the AC cycles on and off on its own so that's not really going to work.
Ron, don't get snarky. He may have just misspoken. So people can take it for what it is worth. Go back and read some of the info on the little Hondas.
I'm still pulling my foot out of my mouth on paralleling them as opposed to reg. generators.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 15:45   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ron, don't get snarky. He may have just misspoken. So people can take it for what it is worth. Go back and read some of the info on the little Hondas.
I'm still pulling my foot out of my mouth on paralleling them as opposed to reg. generators.
Not snarky, just stopping some misinformation before it spreads.
Old 27-04-2015, 16:02   #28

Boat: H36

Two eu2000 are much carry or store than one 4000 watt generator.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 16:06   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

So I've seen two basic responses here

1) soft/hard/? start capacitor to eliminate the startup spike
2) Get another generator to run in paralell

Option 3 is to get an inverter that will synch with line power. Turn it on to get the A/C started then turn it off again or take it out of the circuit. Dealing with the starting spike load is unlikely to be more than about 1/3 amp-hr of capacity out of the battery.

If the generator's continuous capacity can't meet the A/C running draw, that's another issue altogether. If the generator needs an addition 0.5amps to meet continuous load, then the inverter will be drawing 5 amps from the battery since it works at 12v instead of 120v. Solar panels might be able to provide this during the peak of the day, especially if they are tracking.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 16:42   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

The companion version will start ac loads the standard version will not, due to a higher rated plug outlet.
Our standard eu2000 would run a mermaid air w smart start capacitor, hen we replaced the box it would no longer start it. Our friends companion model had zero problems.
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, honda eu2000