Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 18:34   #346
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
So great that the consensus opinion is just go cheap and make me listen to your hammering Honda so you can run your AC. And run risk of gasoline/CO fumes and leakage. And better yet do some McGyver below decks installation to add to this risk?
If you want a genset to run more often just get a good quality diesel one- northern lights or similar 1800 RPM model for continuous use or Nextgen 5.5 like I have which runs 2800 RPM for intermittent use. All anyone else can hear around me is slight exhaust gurgle. Safe. Marine. No CO.

honestly this isn’t the place to go cheap...
sorry to burst your bubble but diesel engines still produce lethal quantities of carbon monoxide .

While diesel fuel combustion engines produce lower levels of carbon monoxide than gasoline engines, these emissions can still generate lethal amounts of carbon monoxide given a sufficient amount of time in an enclosed space. Carbon monoxide makes up anywhere from 2% to 12% of diesel exhaust gases.
https://www.dieselinjurylaw.com/carb...xide-poisoning
Old 29-12-2019, 03:29   #347

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Slight exhaust gurgle and your diesel fumes infiltrating the boats downwind of you. A little common sense and decency next time you fire up your stinkpot with other boats downwind.
Right? What a "my sh*t don't stink" post. Lol. No problem dumping soot and particulates into the other boats, buy trash talking anyone who makes gasoline exhaust.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 04:35   #348

Boat: Tartan 40

Ok ok my post sounded a bit sanctimonious- sorry folks it’s not who I am. But honestly it’s amazing how loud an air cooled generator, including Honda, is across a quiet anchorage. I always anchor away from folks if I’m using my genset. which is Kubota based and runs pretty clean. And it’s really insulated. So no, you really can’t hear it a normal anchored distance away from me. I always dinghy around a radius of boats if I need to run it to make sure no one is in fume or sound range.

But, it seems where I cruise no one with a Honda does any of this courtesy- they just fire it up on their swim platform with the exhaust noise pointed away from them and toward every other boat.

Incidentally, except from my running too low on fuel, and 1 capacitor replacement, the Next gen has been flawless for 7 years I’ve owned my boat. I think most people who get disillusioned with a dedicated genset perhaps have a Fischer panda type genset which I have heard is unreliable. I could see wanting to convert to a Honda if the primary genset can’t be counted on
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 04:36   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but diesel engines still produce lethal quantities of carbon monoxide .

While diesel fuel combustion engines produce lower levels of carbon monoxide than gasoline engines, these emissions can still generate lethal amounts of carbon monoxide given a sufficient amount of time in an enclosed space. Carbon monoxide makes up anywhere from 2% to 12% of diesel exhaust gases.

https://www.dieselinjurylaw.com/carb...xide-poisoning

Yes but a dedicated marine installation mitigates the CO risk much more than a Honda on deck
Old 29-12-2019, 05:02   #350

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Well, I guess the primary reason a lot of cruisers use the Honda instead of a marine genset is simply that there is no real marine alternative around 2kw for the same weight, reliability and, more important, price tag.
That's why people will keep on using them even if they are not as good as a solution as the dedicated marine units.

On our boat for example anything with a Diesel would be stupid. Far to heavy, far to expensive and it would require another fuel on board.
We run 2 Yamaha outboards, a Suzuki outboard an a 2kw genset with petrol.
All above deck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Ok ok my post sounded a bit sanctimonious- sorry folks it’s not who I am. But honestly it’s amazing how loud an air cooled generator, including Honda, is across a quiet anchorage. I always anchor away from folks if I’m using my genset. which is Kubota based and runs pretty clean. And it’s really insulated. So no, you really can’t hear it a normal anchored distance away from me. I always dinghy around a radius of boats if I need to run it to make sure no one is in fume or sound range.

But, it seems where I cruise no one with a Honda does any of this courtesy- they just fire it up on their swim platform with the exhaust noise pointed away from them and toward every other boat.

Incidentally, except from my running too low on fuel, and 1 capacitor replacement, the Next gen has been flawless for 7 years I’ve owned my boat. I think most people who get disillusioned with a dedicated genset perhaps have a Fischer panda type genset which I have heard is unreliable. I could see wanting to convert to a Honda if the primary genset can’t be counted on
Old 29-12-2019, 09:03   #351

Honda 2000 built in.

I did buy a Honda 2200 to replace my diesel generator that failed permanently. As I do not need the generator very often and it was beyond repair I went for a Honda.

I only need to use it when the sun has been gone for a day or two or when I have to make large amount of water.

I’m happy with the output. It runs my battery charger that produces 100A@12V. I’m surprised how they can build something that small and still make it work under full load hour after hour.

The only dissatisfaction is the noice level for neighboring boats. It is louder than expected. I can place the generator such that the sound level is O.K. on my own boat. But neighbors are not happy.

I would also be upset if someone fired up the same thing on a boat next to me. So I guess the solution is to anchor downwind and far away from other boats when I expect to use the Honda.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 02:29   #352

All right, Hahah how is the battle of good and bad about the Honda 2000 coming along

Well, I was busy all day long trying to sort out all the useful BUILT IN and separating it from the Honda 2000..
Of course that takes a little more time to read but I also hope You understand how much time it takes to wrap up 24 pages of caos to one half way clear and compact DOC FOR INTERESTED PERSONS about the topic.....

HONDA 2000 BUILT IN

So here is my promised STAGE Nº 3 with ELECTRIC START INSIDE

DESIGN CHARACTERISTICS, GUIDELINES and OBJECTIVES

Gasoline evaporates when exposed to the atmosphere but the vapors are not lighter than air. Because gasoline vapors are heavier than air they sink through the normal atmosphere. Volatile, Flammable, EXPLOSIVE amounts of from now on referred to in TERMS of FUEL VAPOR TRAILS can therefore collect in the bilge and any space below deck while undetected and nearby remain unaware.

To avoid any such direct risks that the Honda 2000 and STORING GASOLINE represent it is thereby not encouraged to use any space like lockers above deck or below with direct access of ANY kind. Leaking fuel vapor trails can flash back, ignite and cause explosion.

For gasoline storage tanks/containers with approved labels and with their own individual shut off valve are required.
As with any fuel type Diesel, Propane used on pleasure crafts effects of inhaled Gasoline Vapors represent a further risk to health due to there chemical composition as being carcinogenic, cytotoxic, meaning cause of posible damage to cells.

Under those considerations the terms "BUILT IN / INSIDE" as proposed are limited further to the definition of PORTABLE GENERATORS to:.....

!!! NOT electrically hardwired, fuel plumbed, hard mounted and that You can not take at any given time of the boat !!!

and should thereby be taken under consideration when building such a DIY enclosure as from now on used in TERMS OF DOCKING STATION for the Honda 2000 generator to guarantee immediate elimination of risks in case of emergency by removing the entire Docking Station or the Honda 2000 as required.

For further orientation on design features,handling and evacuation of GASOLINE FUEL VAPORS and TRAILS here You can find additional info on......

Page 9 Quote 128 & 134
Page 17 Quote 251 & 252 and here .......

> https://www.uscgboating.org/regulati...ENTILATION.pdf

> https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....H-02.1989.pdf

Natural venting principals MUST be applied in design to use lowest point of such Docking Station to guarantee natural evacuation of fuel vapor trails when Generator is not in use.

Assisted venting in form of explosion proof rated blowers with sufficient CFM capacity according to Volume of space MUST be used with unrestricted airflow to the outside atmosphere to guarantee evacuation of all fuel vapors when generator in use.

With Electric Start a TIMER MUST be used to eliminate any posible risks of remaining fuel vapor trails BEFORE START UP of generator.

An explosion proof electric motor MUST be installed when using with ELECTRIC STARTER

An spark proof flame arrester MUST be mounted on the carburetor and spark protection on muffler MUST be installed if no further exhaust gas routing is intended.

A Test for leak free function of carburetor, seals and all fuel lines between tank internal/external and generator MUST be performed.

Rated marine wire with protected terminals MUST be used for all connections used INSIDE/OUTSIDE the Docking Station.

A multiple water proof main female connector MUST be installed on the OUTSIDE of the Docking Station to allow complete and fast disconnect in case of emergency.

A wire harness should be used between with quick connectors to connect the docking station with the electrical distribution box installed on the boat

Connection of all wires to the electrical distribution box from the boat MUST have respective fuse protection

Individual connection of multiple plugs MUST be installed INSIDE the docking station in a way to allow maximum portability of the generator unit
as also ALLOW the total disconnection of all electrical support lines leading to/from the generator to the distribution box of the boat for safety measures in case of emergency.

To further limit risks a fire distinguisher MUST be mounted close by with easy unrestricted access.

COOLING of the Honda 2000

PASIVE COOLING is used for construction by All Aluminum base plate (former referred to as Flat Surface), round aluminum perfil TYPE used in modern design and available in general hardware stores, and aluminum sheet and parts attached/assembled by aluminum braising as shown for optimum heat transfer.
Further it should be protected by light colour paint to avoid the transfer of UV sunlight to the docking station.

Further more the Honda GXR engine has a powerful fan for cooling installed on the crank shaft. Removing of the muffler and using an external muffler for exhaust routing will result in taking away another heat source from the Honda 2000 factory housing with the added benefit of better air flow inside the housing for cooling.

BUT also further complicates PORTABILITY of the GEN and MAXIMUM CAUTION must be taken with the resulting implications of the HAZARDOUS EXHAUST GASES IN GENERAL.

CAUTION Exhaust fumes contain certain poisonous chemicals, including carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, formaldehyde, benzene and soot, all of which can be detrimental to the human body if consistently inhaled in large quantities.

ACTIVE COOLING is used consisting of 2 independent explosion proof blowers also used the for fuel vapor evacuation,
EACH with sufficient CFM capacity according to space allowing sufficient air flow for cooling of inverter and engine in combination of size of Docking Station with.....

a) wired in parallel to share the DC power of the Honda 2000 ( 12 V max 8,3 Amp) to drive both blowers at half capacity in normal condition.

b) to drive 1 blower at full capacity with alarm indicator ON in case of failure of the second blower.

c) Alarm indicator and Automatic SHUT DOWN of the Honda 2000 in case of failure of both blowers.

d) SHUT DOWN actuated by interruption power supply to spark plug and fuel supply

e) Same principals apply to independent AC power supply INSIDE of Docking Station in case DC supply is insufficient.

f) Active cooling is actuated by timer BEFORE start of generator
........ to eliminate risks of ignition fuel vapors and risks damage to the honda 2000.

EXHAUST GASES

Without further comments on the danger when handling exhaust gases containing poisonous chemicals, including carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, formaldehyde, benzene and soot and the implications to the human body if consistently inhaled in large quantities.......

LOCATION OF THE DOCKING STATION ON BOARD must be considered.
As this depends on the lay out of the boat there is no best location, only the ones that more favorable and the ones that are not that good.

In GENERAL the same principals as with the exhaust system of the main engine are valid.

In general the best advantages are at the after location of the boat and away from hatches, windows vents, doors , fresh air supply access to AirCon that allow easy and direct access to the interior of the boat when at anchor. Usually the bow will direct in the wind, but MAXIMUM CAUTION must be taken when there is no wind or the boat is tied by rope to shore.

Optimizing the evacuation of exhaust gases by routing with external muffler and extensions further complicates PORTABILITY of the GEN and MAXIMUM CAUTION must be taken with the resulting implications of the HAZARDOUS EXHAUST GASES.

A flexible exhaust pipe connection MUST be used to allow compensation for the vibrations of the Honda 2000. To further enhance SAFETY and maintain the max portability of the GEN an adjustable quick release snap on connection with flange on both sides that allow an exchangeable seal between both flanges MUST be installed on the outside of the Docking Station to connect to the exhaust routing system that is installed/bolted to the boat.

All exhaust components should be Stainless Steel, rated for the temperature and welded to be leak free or couplings that will comply with the same requirements. .....

https://www.amazon.com/Eberspacher-W...a-802597554185
https://www.mcmaster.com/55125k105-55125K38

A test for leaks MUST be performed as also regular routine follow ups to verify SAFE performance.

Further orientation Page 15 Quote 223

ELECTRIC STARTER with REMOTE CONTROL DETAILS FOR DOCKING STATION

In Stage 3 the factory tank of the honda 2000 is removed to allow space for the starter motor.
As an off the shelf component the kits from FROG PRODUCTS Inc. are used for starter motor and remote control.
3 Components are required for the electric start in Stage 3 Dock Station.

Nº1 THE GEARED RING mounted to the Fly Wheel
Nº2 The GEAR mounted to the shaft of the electric motor
Nº3 The EXPLOSION PROOF MOTOR for safety in regards IGNITION GASOLINE FUEL VAPORS / TRAILS

In addition to my detailed commentary Page 19 Quote 276 & 278 I encourage anyone to further explore

Nº1 is most likely not manufactured by Frog Products Inc. and there are other sources. Most likely the GEARED RING of the Honda GXR 160 will fit the GXR 120 engine model.... to be confirmed !

Nº2 The GEAR on the shaft of the motor in this case is the same story as in Nº 1 as there would also be the starter motor that officially is available as option from Honda for the Mod GXR 160

Nº3 Frog Products informs by mail he does not supply an explosion proof Starter MOTOR.
Almost all electric motors around the world are manufactured to standard sizes.
With the inside Dia of the hole for the gear that fits the size of the shaft of the starter motor, the flange type for mounting to other devices and the info of rated Volts and Watts of power any decent ONLINE electronics component supplier should be able to find the right motor. Also there are cheap kits on Amazon and EBAY for exploration. Best chances for Info are the shops that work with Quads, GoCards, small engine speciality vehicles and 4x wheel drives. They all use electric start and are familiar with all the engine manufacturers.
An alternative Remote Control can be found here .....

> https://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com

ELECTRICS and the DOCKING STATION POWER SUPPLY

As the Electric Start will eliminate the possibility of manual start by hand crank sufficient battery capacity is installed with an isolated independent charging source of the boats main power supply.

An individual DC/AC connected to the inverter generator of the Honda 2000 DC outlet is installed in the DOCKING STATION that allows the use of a High Capacity Emergency Jump Starter Power Supply to reliable start the Honda 2000 engine.
To show sufficient capacity for start reliability at this date the Audew Mod. 2000A Jump Starter as a result of a test is used that also shows many other useful applications.(for further info watch test @ title ....
"Which Car Jump Starter Is Best? Let's find out!" by PROJECT FARM YTube channel)

This type of power supply has a BMS that is used in response to the unregulated DC power of the Honda 2000.

Proposed electric wiring sheme and CONNECTIONS FOR WIRING DISTRIBUTION BOX

included !!!!on Page 7 Quote 104 and used for CONFIGURATION STAGE Nº3

but later changed for reasons on page 11 Quote 151 !!! IF DESIRED !!!

Previsions STAGE 3 ELECTRIC START for Stand Alone Island Power Supply with isolated AC-DC Charging Circuits from Honda 2000 to the Docking Station to charge the Starter Power Supply/Audew Jump Starter.

OBJECTS, FEATURES, FUNCTIONS of ELECTRIC START

Electric Start in combination with REMOTE CONTROL by hard wire/wireless allows

* SIGNALS from SET POINTS to control the state of charge of the battery when a Victron Mod. BMV battery monitor is installed on the Dockking Station
This function is useful when using small undersized battery banks to drive AC and DC High Demand constant loads or AC direct loads up to max 2000W and rated constant 1600 W
and DC loads 12 V up to 70-80 Amps whereby the battery is only used as a buffer to stabilize loads

* Due to individual SET POINTS the batteries can be protected adapting desired charge profile.
This will enhance longevity of the batteries

* Raw DC Bulk Charging Capacity of up to70-80 Amps for batteries to supplement solar and other charging sources

* with High and Low voltage protection in case of cloudy conditions essential for charging Lithium batteries. and good second stage of protection after the BMS.

* Optimizing the run time of the generator

* Using the more cost effective Honda 2000 for charging batteries instead of the main engine.

* * EMERGENCY BACK UP of MAIN POWER SUPPLY.

In case of a failure of the entire break down of the main power supply on the boat this function will allow

a) Power Supply to vital systems for Navigation and systems to sustain minimum comfort levels till main power supply can be reestablished.

b) Use of power tools and instruments for repair in case of emergency ON THE BOAT and on shore of remote places with extended Back Up for portable Power Tools.

c) Charge the starter battery for the main engine in case of LOW state of charge or TOTAL failure of ALL batteries and ALL main charging sources, (engine alternator, solar etc)

d) The Audew Mod. 2000A and 20000mAh has sufficient capacity to be reliable to start the Honda in Emergency mode

e) With sufficient cold cranking amps the Audew Jump Starter will also allow to start a mid size main engine direct in extreme cold climate.

f) Charged independent and totally isolated from the main power on the boat the DOCKING STATION....
either by direct DC power supply (12 V-8,3 amp) of the Honda 2000 DC outlet
or by the inside of the Docking Station installed AC Charger using the AC outlet from the Honda 2000 will ALWAYS !!! be able to back up any situation of loss of power on board without external help

g) EXCEPT when the Audew Jump Starter power supply has not enough cranking amps to start the Honda 2000.

With a Size: 8.73" x 5" x 1.1 inches and a weight of 1,3 Lbs the Audew power supply can easy be disconnected and taken to another boat or the beach when on anchor in the included bag supplied by Audew

to be charged in case of Emergency at ANY !!! DC/AC POWER OUTLET.

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-Pe...-p-100058.html

Power Supply CHARGING TIME aprox 4-5 hour to 100%

That makes the HONDA 2000 STAGE Nº 3 DOCKING STATION WITH ELECTRIC START an absolute unmatched Set Up for BACK UP and with all the versatil combinations and options compared to any other Devices available on the market the BEST CHOICE for LAST RESORT in Case of Emergency.

Further more in this configuration the Honda 2000 with Docking Station, Electric Start and a small light weight Power Supply makes it the ideal choice for smaller vessels with limits of Battery size, Space for sufficient Solar Power,ETC. to handle DC/AC power loads that allow a decent level of comfort on board that with other options can not be achieved in a more cost effective way.

The Honda 2000 is also the smallest and less weight option to run a 12.000 BTU Air Condition with using a Soft Start modem with PORTABILITY that no Marine generator can offer.

The high capacity battery as an added benefit is a practical power supply for modern communication devices that can be fast charged off the boat and on shore and therefore also used as an independent power source to supplement the lack of limited battery capacity and solar power charging capacity.
This High capacity power supply also comes in handy for extended use and back up when going on shore in remote locations like with video filming for example

Same configuration is also the best choice in vessels where weight factors are of importance.

*Another fact where this configuration Stage Nº 3 configuration is really outstanding is SERVICE FRIENDLY.

One compact unit with a SEMI PORTABLE Docking Station and FULLY PORTABLE light weight Honda 2000 and Battery are optimum and allowed with in the TECHNICAL LIMITS OF SAFETY result in an easy accessible unit and removing light weight components of the boat for service or quality storage while the boat is not in use for the longer off season periods.

All NO proprietary components are used and parts for service, spares are available of the shelf or OnLine.... ?¿? except the starter issue ?¿?

As this Set Up could be a vital component for the function of the boat the same attention as to the main engines is required to obtain max reliability in return.

Of course in regards to longevity the small Honda 2000 with a dry weight of 47 Lbs can most likely not match a Marine Diesel Gen like the NEXT GEN 3,5 with a dry weight 160 LBS under the same conditions.
But parts and service are a lot cheaper and a similar or better over all cost factor could be the result of a particular care and shorter maintenance cycles.
However the docking station, wires, the battery and the inverter/generator of the Honda 2000 are more or less maintenance free for their expected life cycle which leaves only the maintenance of the engine and the fuel supply for reliable and SAFE OPERATION.
That means proper use and maintenance is mandatory.

A few words to YOUR DOCKING STATION

After kicking this thing in all direction I came to the conclusion the best is when all components that belong to the Docking Station are in a fixed and bolted position like for example the blowers. Ports for external and manual access are also fixed in position. Electrical connection and exhaust are in a fixed position and the Honda Gen is strapped to a fixed position. For this reason I find it the most practical to mount all those components to the base plate and the top of the Docking Station simply comes off and is sliding back in Position.
When designing Your Docking Station first considerations should be Portability and EASY access to the Honda 2000 from all sides for all the requirements of service, maintenance of the engine which most likely will be the only thing of concern. If all is connected to the base plate the top comes of easy and also the Docking Station is easier to install in a more semi portable fashion.

This STAGE 3 CONFIGURATION is designed to function automatic.

That means when taking off the battery the starter motor function is deactivated and passive venting the Docking Station is supposed to remove the fuel vapor trails.

The battery has the same function as the key for a car to prevent unattended running of the Honda 2000 while not on the boat.

Would You leave the door of Your car open with the key in the ignition lock ?

OK, so this will prevent any undesired issues with the kids and unauthorized touch.
For further safety measures and to prevent theft install a lock that prevents opening of the top and getting to attachments points for the docking Station to the boat.

PS: There might be some details missing but You can find them reading
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

CAUTION

As any DIY project might implicate modification of components and the corresponding warranties by manufacturers, it is thereby at OWN RISK, and it should only be done by persons with sufficient skills to control and responsibly manage those risks.

Further orientation can be found here

> The U.S. Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46
> The Canadian Construction Standards for Small Vessels (TP 1332 E).
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...2-menu-521.htm
Old 30-12-2019, 03:37   #353

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
All right, Hahah how is the battle of good and bad about the Honda 2000 coming along
And breath
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 03:41   #354

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Well, I guess the primary reason a lot of cruisers use the Honda instead of a marine genset is simply that there is no real marine alternative around 2kw for the same weight, reliability and, more important, price tag.
That's why people will keep on using them even if they are not as good as a solution as the dedicated marine units.

On our boat for example anything with a Diesel would be stupid. Far to heavy, far to expensive and it would require another fuel on board.
We run 2 Yamaha outboards, a Suzuki outboard an a 2kw genset with petrol.
All above deck.
Exactly they are a lot of bang for the buck and although we have sold ours, if the need arises I would buy another and run it on the deck with the exhaust pointing down wind. In harbours, there are often local bye-laws, Guernsey has one which says generators can only be run 9 - 12:00 hrs. So that is what we did as did several other yachts. Then silence. Just wasn't a problem.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:54   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
I did buy a Honda 2200 to replace my diesel generator that failed permanently. As I do not need the generator very often and it was beyond repair I went for a Honda.

I only need to use it when the sun has been gone for a day or two or when I have to make large amount of water.

I’m happy with the output. It runs my battery charger that produces 100A@12V. I’m surprised how they can build something that small and still make it work under full load hour after hour.

The only dissatisfaction is the noice level for neighboring boats. It is louder than expected. I can place the generator such that the sound level is O.K. on my own boat. But neighbors are not happy.

I would also be upset if someone fired up the same thing on a boat next to me. So I guess the solution is to anchor downwind and far away from other boats when I expect to use the Honda.

I appreciate all of your points above. I wish others with Hondas were as considerate.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:13   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Exactly they are a lot of bang for the buck and although we have sold ours, if the need arises I would buy another and run it on the deck with the exhaust pointing down wind. In harbours, there are often local bye-laws, Guernsey has one which says generators can only be run 9 - 12:00 hrs. So that is what we did as did several other yachts. Then silence. Just wasn't a problem.
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

I agree with Franziska but I believe there is a lot more to that. With a Marine Diesel Gen You get a lot of power that You actually don´t need if the power of Your Gen is managed. You also have to pay all the penalties for that extra power. Higher costs for marine inboard installation,spares and maintenance. More complicated trouble shooting and repair+ more tools required+more spares. and the list goes on and on.... things add up.
Reality is Reliability depends on quality of maintenance and by pure nature I would estimate IN GENERAL that those little Honda Gen receive much better care compared to fixed Marine Gens. That is why they are so reliable.
Just ask Yourself what happens next ....

if Your Marine Gen won´t start ?
If Your little Honda won´t start ?

and then ask WHY and in which case do You have more questions ?

With quality maintenance both will always start.

> Longevity ? How much does it cost to replace a complete Honda GXR 120 engine that is faster and easier to replace then most alternators, starter motors on Marine Gens and.... I can buy it on almost any corner.......not even mentioning the price difference .... and I do that job sitting in an arm chair with a beer on the table

* That's why people will keep on using them even if they are not as good as a solution as the dedicated marine units.

Not as GOOD ?
The answer is always as good as the question, RIGHT

and all for some power I don´t need while my main charging source is solar

Check out my Stage 3 Docking Station/Honda 2000 features
What would it take to have the same with a Marine GEN ?
AND still not portable and light weight

Is there anything missing that I could desire from a GEN ?

DO I REALLY NEED MORE ?

YES, hahaha tell me how I can buy it of Amazon or Ebay
Old 31-12-2019, 14:42   #357

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think the Honda generator and its equivalents are just brilliant, really hard to justify the cost of diesel built in genset when a little Honda can fill the needs of many boaters like me.

Just curious, has anyone built one of these into their boat taking into consideration the petrol (gas) issues ,or just mounted one permanently in the cockpit area ? any pictures?

I saw this neat little setup on Google.

Attachment 205378
Yep the Honda inverter type generator is great. I have one on my yacht, i keep it in a deck box aft.
It runs very quiet, no hassel at all.
There is really no concern about petrol fumes and so on, after all my out board uses it as well. I carry about 40 litres of petrol in proper cans on deck.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44   #358
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
... There is really no concern about petrol fumes and so on, after all my out board uses it as well. I carry about 40 litres of petrol in proper cans on deck.
I doubt you run your outboard on deck.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:19   #359

Boat: Riva 48

This thread has become too long to be truly useful but one this is for sure, there is a tremendous interest in a small gas powered generator. For the driving force here is that the Honda is an inverter generator which means that is very efficient (high voltage) and that it can scale the speed of rotation to the demand.

In other words, if you charge your batteries with an inverter generator, as you transition from bulk to accept and the batteries take less and less current, the Honda (or any inverter generator) will decrease rpm's, fuel consumption and noise. This is perfect on a boat and is a major advantage over the built in diesel generators. In fact, you should even use a smaller, 800W inverter-generator that can slow down to 200-250W (approx. 15A of DC current) which can supply your typical boat load of 5-10A while using the rest to trickle charge the batteries all the way to, say 95%. So, it is a game changer for boaters and in my opinion reduces the need for solar which takes space not available on a small boat, looks ugly and is prone to shading inefficiencies.

If we can agree on these major advantages of inverter gas generators (plus the lower cost, you can have an 800W inverter generator for $200 delivered) then we can focus on how to install one properly above deck, with a muffler if you so desire, a proper fuel/starting system and even an oil cooling system as mentioned. Gasoline on a boat is more dangerous but so is propane and gas outboards.

Another way to look at the gas inverter generator advantage is that most of us can still charge from the engine to 75-80%, especially when moving, then use the gas generator to charge to 100% once a week saving the batteries (even if you need to let it run for 4-5 hours, it will sip gas towards the end). This is not bad for a $200 investment. Then people can use solar only if they are super sensitive to noise.

I will get one of the cheaper inverter generators and play with an oil cooling radiator, a motorcycle muffler and possibly some remote start ideas and see how far one can get. Would it be nice for someone to make a small outboard motor, 2-3 hp with an inverter generator attached with an extra setting on the gearbox? You get the water cooling by default.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:35   #360
CLOD

Boat: none

Hondas are so loud that here in Boot Key there are hours in your mooring agreement for when you are allowed to run a generator out on your deck.

Wait ...... those hours only apply to the “non Honda type” of generators. Hondas can be run run anytime.

I would prefer, and i’ve experienced this, a boot rafted to me running their Honda on deck over the same boats wind generator speeding up and slowing down, over and over and over.

I would bet those that get all uptight about the sound of a Honda that can barely be heard from 20’ feet away are the same ones who think every ripple made by a passing dinghy is a “wake”.

If you are going to be on a boat learn to live with the stuff that goes with it.

Tags
grass, honda