Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 18:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 389
High voltage alarm?

Hello! After being an long time lurker, finally joined this great community!

I am stumped on this one. Just pulled into my slip, plugged in shore power, and within a couple minutes the high voltage alarm goes off on the scheiber panel, reading 14.8v. My magnum charger display is reading the same, showing absorb charging. Using AGM settings. Nothing has changed and never had this alarm go off before? I am baffled, any ideas? .
Aleainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 08:27   #2

Re: High voltage alarm?

I'd start with researching what your specific battery manufacture recommends for the max charge voltage and go from there. Not knowing your boat, I'd assume that the charger and battery monitor (where the alarm is coming from) is programmable to reflect the manufactures specs. All this being said, I'd also take a look at the external regulator on the alt to make sure it reflects the same specs.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:20   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

OP; what is a scheiber panel?
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:23   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

OP: Dr. Google found the following forum and thread: https://jeanneau.proboards.com/threa...scheiber-panel
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:45   #5

Thanks everyone. Yes it is a Scheiber panel. I also saw a few threads about this alarm but all reference the alternator, where this is on shore power. I understand if the upper charge voltage from the Magnum is just higher than the alarm setting on the Scheiber, but it’s just weird that it has never happened before. Would a change in the battery make it take a higher voltage? I figured the upper limit charge voltage would always be dictated by the charger controller.
Old 18-12-2021, 09:54   #6

is there a solar system installed? Might be the culprit with the 120volt charger going and a solar system with a lot of sun
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 10:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleainc View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes it is a Scheiber panel. I also saw a few threads about this alarm but all reference the alternator, where this is on shore power. I understand if the upper charge voltage from the Magnum is just higher than the alarm setting on the Scheiber, but it’s just weird that it has never happened before. Would a change in the battery make it take a higher voltage? I figured the upper limit charge voltage would always be dictated by the charger controller.
ask here https://www.scheiber.com/nautisme?lang=en
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 10:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I'd be concerned about battery temperatures and electrolyte levels (assuming LA) til' this is resolved.
Old 18-12-2021, 13:15   #9

AGM batteries, charger controller is the ubiquitous magnum me-rc, then the Scheiber panel has its own readout and alarm which is sounding.

I may have found the issue: The settings on the charger under the AGM program is 14.5v for Absorb. However, it adjusts for temperature. So in cold I guess it raises the voltage. It was around 40 degrees yesterday, so possibly this is the first time the batteries have been cold enough to warrant more voltage from the charger setting off the Scheiber alarm?

I don’t normally run in this weather, so the charger is in Float (lower voltage) when just plugged into shore.

Going to run a little heater near the batteries for a bit and see if the charger lowers the charge voltage.
Old 18-12-2021, 13:26   #10

14.8v -15v is totally normal when it’s cold out. And your charger has a battery temp sensor. Washington is Likly cold now.

If you unplug the temp sensor from the charger it will Likly drop back down. But it’s doing it’s job and I would leave it. And try to adjust the alarm.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:42   #11

Attached is the recommended charge voltages based on temperature from East Penn. There is a chart for AGM and GEL. EP batteries are sold under many names, Deka, Duracell, West marine, Etc,

For 40-50 degrees F they recommend 14.8- 15.1v charging
For 40f and under 15.1-15.4v

You are lucky to have a temperature compensated charger, most are not. I always enjoy people who say they have a great charger but don't realize that it is not temperature compensating.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Charge voltages for agm-gel.pdf (261.4 KB, 21 views)
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm