Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 14:45   #1

Boat: CAL-2 30'
HELP...Intermittent start battery charging!

I have a Yanmar 3YM20 and 150A alternator with 91 hours on them. I have 2 Group 27 deep cycle batteries in parallel for the house and a Group 27 Start battery. They are all FLA installed three years ago and well maintained.

Yesterday the engine started but the engine panel buzzer and Batt light remained on 3.6 (batt voltage) on the engine panel as pictured in the bottom 2 pictures.

Power from the alternator goes to an Isolator having the top 2 pictured lights after a normal start and 14.2v showing on the engine panel.

The buzzer and light only stay on after about half of the starts.

Any ideas what the problem may be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	243890   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	243891  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	243892   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	243893  

davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 15:55   #2

Re: HELP...Intermittent start battery charging!

Any time anything electrical is intermittent, it is 99% of the time a connection. Otherwise it's an equipment issue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 19:40   #3

13.6v is charging and a battery light certainly should not be coming on at 13.6v

in the 2nd picture only one battery is charging with one light on. if only the house is charging then you mixed up the 2 battery cables on the isocharge.

I've had a lot of the proisochargers fail.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 20:57   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

The ProIsoCharge is telling you what is going on. In the upper picture all three upper blue LEDs are on indicating the charge is being sent to all connected batteries.

In the second photo the red “priority charge” light is on and only the top upper blue LED is on indicating that the ProIsoCharge has separated the batteries and only the battery connected to #1 is getting charged. I’m guessing that’s not the start battery and so the instruments set off the alarm. Alternatively, the start battery is #1 and there is a draw greater than the alternator’s output, dropping the voltage. Solenoid not opening properly on the starter? Stuck glow plug relay (if the engine has them - I’m looking at the electrical side)? Low alternator output? (field problem through ignition)?

Quote:
One bank is attempting to discharge another. This can happen when a large load such as an inverter or bowthruster is operating on its connected bank and due to high amperage draw, the neighboring battery banks are being discharged. The ProIsoCharge will isolate the discharged bank and direct charging to that bank only until it reaches 13.3V. The ProIsoCharge will then begin charging normally, beginning with the start battery.
Either way, it is an indication that there is a load somewhere that exceeds the alternator output (or a faulty ProIsoCharge thinks so).

Or maybe, as Stu said, a bad connection (probably on the negative/common side) is affecting the measurements made by the ProIsoCharge.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 10:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Any time anything electrical is intermittent, it is 99% of the time a connection. Otherwise it's an equipment issue.

I agree, but I have double checked all connections.
Old 19-08-2021, 10:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
13.6v is charging and a battery light certainly should not be coming on at 13.6v
My normal charging volts are 14.2-14.4.

in the 2nd picture only one battery is charging with one light on. if only the house is charging then you mixed up the 2 battery cables on the isocharge.
The one light that is on is for Bank #3 and I don't have a Bank #3. Bank #1 is the stater and Bank #2 is the 2 house batteries. I think we can rule out incorrect wiring, as it has worked flawlessly for the 3 years since it was installed.

I've had a lot of the proisochargers fail.
Were the indications of failures similar to mine? I already ordered a new proisocharger as it is #1 on my possible culprit list.

Thanks for the reply

Old 19-08-2021, 11:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The ProIsoCharge is telling you what is going on. In the upper picture all three upper blue LEDs are on indicating the charge is being sent to all connected batteries.

In the second photo the red “priority charge” light is on and only the top upper blue LED is on indicating that the ProIsoCharge has separated the batteries and only the battery connected to #1 is getting charged. I’m guessing that’s not the start battery and so the instruments set off the alarm.

The uploaded picture is not very clear and the top light is actually Bank #3 which has nothing connected to it. Probably why the No Charge light comes on. The bottom blue light is on indicating power coming from the alternator.

Alternatively, the start battery is #1 and there is a draw greater than the alternator’s output, dropping the voltage. Solenoid not opening properly on the starter?
Possibly but only the starter and windlass are connected to the start battery.

Stuck glow plug relay (if the engine has them - I’m looking at the electrical side)?

No glow plugs.

Low alternator output? (field problem through ignition)?
The altermator puts out 14.2-14.4v when I don't get the light.

Either way, it is an indication that there is a load somewhere that exceeds the alternator output (or a faulty ProIsoCharge thinks so).
I am leaning towards a faulty ProIsocharge so new one arrives Monday.

Or maybe, as Stu said, a bad connection (probably on the negative/common side) is affecting the measurements made by the ProIsoCharge.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 20-08-2021, 04:54   #8
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

I am late to the party but I would load test the house batteries to ensure they are still behaving as FLA batteries and have not become ballast!

No load tester-swap house and start batteries on the isolator and see what happens.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 11:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
I am late to the party but I would load test the house batteries to ensure they are still behaving as FLA batteries and have not become ballast!
I am planning to load test the start battery today. Am I correct in thinking that the charge light on the engine panel should only come on if the start battery is not receiving a charge or will it also come on with no charge to the house bank?

No load tester-swap house and start batteries on the isolator and see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tags
battery, charging