Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 09:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 MKII
Dual supply, shore power

I want to add a shore power socket on the bow of our Catalina 34MkII.
I'm replacing the Marinco 30 amp socket with a SmartPlug 30 amp socket on the stern and will then install the Marinco 30 amp in the anchor locker for 15 amp use when we don't need 30 amp service. Do I need two 30 amp double pole circuit breakers within ten feet of their respective sockets to be abyc compliant? The sockets will feed a Blue Seas 9009 2 position switch, and the switch will feed a Victron Energy 2000 watt isolation transformer which then feeds the boat's existing AC panel.
The boat currently has a single pole breaker at the stern which directly feeds another single pole breaker at the AC panel.
JDR
Sarnia, ON, Canada
robbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:14   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Dual supply, shore power

Yes, each inlet needs a double pole breaker within 10 feet of the inlet to be ABYC compliant. I'd also use either a rotary selector switch or a pair of interlocked breakers at the panel to make sure that only 1 inlet is live at a time and that using one inlet doesn't back-feed power to the other for safety reasons.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Yes, each inlet needs a double pole breaker within 10 feet of the inlet to be ABYC compliant. I'd also use either a rotary selector switch or a pair of interlocked breakers at the panel to make sure that only 1 inlet is live at a time and that using one inlet doesn't back-feed power to the other for safety reasons.
Agreed. And by my read, it now also needs to be an RCD breaker, so if you want to bring it all up to snuff, that would be the way to go.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbjd View Post
I want to add a shore power socket on the bow of our Catalina 34MkII.
I'm replacing the Marinco 30 amp socket with a SmartPlug 30 amp socket on the stern and will then install the Marinco 30 amp in the anchor locker for 15 amp use when we don't need 30 amp service. Do I need two 30 amp double pole circuit breakers within ten feet of their respective sockets to be abyc compliant? The sockets will feed a Blue Seas 9009 2 position switch, and the switch will feed a Victron Energy 2000 watt isolation transformer which then feeds the boat's existing AC panel.
The boat currently has a single pole breaker at the stern which directly feeds another single pole breaker at the AC panel.
JDR
Sarnia, ON, Canada
I mistyped. The circuit breakers are 30 amp, double pole.
robbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 22:41   #5

To be abyc compliant both inlet breakers need to be elci breakers as well. Unless the Inlet is within 10’ of the iso transformer. Then you can use a reg double pole. Maybe 1 of them is.

If the transformer is only 2000w then the breakers should be sized to not allow more. Which is 15a breakers. Why not the 3600w transformer if you have 30a shore plugs?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 03:03   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

I suggest that you do not put an electrical inlet connector in an anchor well at the bow of your boat. It will be doused with water regularly. I see that you are in Ontario. Even fresh water immersion is a bad idea.

The ideal place for an inlet connector is where it will not get wet. Inside a winch pocket is the best location. Inside a cockpit locker is also good but means that you would need to leave the locker unlocked when using that connector. I have seen many connectors placed on the outside of the cabin or coaming. This is also a bad idea. The screw down caps of power inlets often have poorly maintained or non existent rubber seals. Also due diligence in proper sealing of the cap is often overlooked.

Smart plugs are great, I have two. The only thing holding the cap closed is spring pressure. These also need to be kept away from water immersion.

Don't just listen to me. Look around and ask around your marina and boatyard. Ask the local boat electrician.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power