Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59   #61

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
Re: Dockhand plugged my 30A 120 into 30A 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
IIRC AC wiring is generally rated for 600 volts.

Point being 120 wiring is normally adequate for 220VAC.

Actually can probably handle much more VOLTAGE, at least 600 volts......without current. As long as NO loads were connected except the water heater (resistive load for only a minute) nothing was hurt. CURRENT is what will destroy wiring. That comes about if the LOAD is high as in a device designed for 110 will draw DOUBLE the current on 220.

BUT like others I dont see how this could happen unless you have a home made power cord OR the marina has an incorrectly wired panel. If they are wrong, its their fault. If you are using a bastard cord,you are at fault.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Hmm, that is your problem. A memo was issued in 2014.

Due to advances in idiocy, the rating of ‘idiot proof’ has been retired. All items can now only earn a rating of ‘idiot resistant’.

Lesson learned check for wear on plugs and receptacles before plugging in!

You can make something childproof, but you can't make it engineer proof. We WILL get in there if there is a good reason to do so. One good reason is to find out how the thing works, another is why doesn't it.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47   #63

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Related: With 120v, 60hz 30a Shore power connection, how should you connect to the European, AUS, NZ power?

Also if a Stirling Pro Charger states that it "..runs on any Global AC Power source between 90-260 volts.."

how would you wire the charger and the onboard 120VAC system to maintain that capacity?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Related: With 120v, 60hz 30a Shore power connection, how should you connect to the European, AUS, NZ power?

Also if a Stirling Pro Charger states that it "..runs on any Global AC Power source between 90-260 volts.."

how would you wire the charger and the onboard 120VAC system to maintain that capacity?

Peter Kennedy had a good anwser
About European and US electrical shore power systems

Looks like this is a good reason to have an inverter if you are US going overseas to Europe. Transformers are too expensive.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:45   #65

Quote:

A voltage sensitive relay.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10   #66

Quote:

Looks like this is a good reason to have an inverter if you are US going overseas to Europe. Transformers are too expensive.

"The least expensive way is to get a multi input voltage battery charger and use it to charge the boats batteries while using an inverter on board to continue to make 120 volt 60 Hz power as needed."

So Sterling Pro Ultra Chargers are good, but you would have to disconnect them from your shore power and get the appropriate plugs and wire to connect it to the European system. That might be a bit of a chore. Are there adapters that you could use for your shore power cable to get the power direct to the Charger?

---

skennie what are you suggesting a "A voltage sensitive relay" for? -Assuming connection to the European shorepower somehow and then trigger a voltage sensitive relay that disconnects everything except the Sterling Pro Ultra Charger (or what ever charger that has "global AC source"?

That sounds a little dicey to me. I'd rather keep it simple and have a routine.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:11   #67

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
A voltage sensitive relay.
No, a voltage sensitive relay is for charging batteries.

A big issue for wiring your boat for multiple voltage input is that you never want to apply 220 volts to your 110 volt boat wiring. Even if you are careful sooner or later you will turn something on that should not have 220 volts on it and it will be destroyed.

A better solution is a separate transformer for the 220 power source. In the UK they have regulations restricting outdoor power tool voltage and they sell some very nice isolation transformers in yellow cases.. The transformers come in 3 kw and up. That is the way to go. Besides the transformer you will need a few special connectors to get you going. One to plug into the marina, one each in and out of the transformer and one to connect to your ships power inlet.

If you are on your way to Europe they can be bought in the Azores, although at a very high markup. In Ireland and England many ironmongers (hardware stores) carry them and there is a big catalog sales company that sell them really cheap.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:25   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
No, a voltage sensitive relay is for charging batteries.

A better solution is a separate transformer for the 220 power source. In the UK they have regulations restricting outdoor power tool voltage and they sell some very nice isolation transformers in yellow cases.. The transformers come in 3 kw and up. That is the way to go. Besides the transformer you will need a few special connectors to get you going. One to plug into the marina, one each in and out of the transformer and one to connect to your ships power inlet.

If you are on your way to Europe they can be bought in the Azores, although at a very high markup. In Ireland and England many ironmongers (hardware stores) carry them and there is a big catalog sales company that sell them really cheap.
Thanks.

Peter Kennedy says the transformer route is expensive. So I should see if I can find a yellow isolation transformer for 120vac to 240vac in a UK Catalogue, and they are cheap.

Since I would also need all the cable adapters to UK/European standard, I suppose the first step is to carry the required adapters for my cable to get the Charger going on its "global source". That would be best done before sailing over I think, because you'll need corresponding US Nema plugs/receptacles too.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:46   #69

Read about this experience, there are some surprises.
European Marina Shore Power... - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shorepower-wiring-International.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	175247  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:59   #70

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Expensive is a relative term. When I bought the 3KW isolation transformer for my sailboat so I could run the AC without fear of electrolysis on my steel hull and paid $3000 for it, I did not think is was expensive from an electrolysis prevention view but it was a lot of money from a banking view. When you are protecting a $50,000 investment, $3,000 is not too much.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 13:13   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A GFCI should trip at 30 mA imbalance; the current from an AC fault thru saltwater can easily exceed that.

I dropped a cable splice in seawater, and it slowed the 5kVA generator down considerably. Getting a shock when you are salt-wet would NOT be fun, and quite possibly lethal if there was no RCD. I suspect that it wouldn't matter if it was 110 0r 220. I "flashed" my generator once, while touching the bare battery wires. I had the presence of mind to lean away to disconnect, as I was unable to let go of the wires. I frequently (maybe once/year) touch 220V, but that was the only time that I actually scared myself.
Old 11-08-2018, 13:41   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!
Also, in fresh water, a body (a bag of saline) is a much better conductor than the water, to the electrons have a much easier path through the body.

Re Transformers: Isolation transformers are highly desirable, and you can get lucky. I found a 2.5kVA one on ebay for €175 that had dual primaries with several taps and dual secondaries, it was in Ireland where I live, and the vendor was traveling right past me a few days after the sale closed, so he dropped it off to me.
Old 11-08-2018, 14:07   #73

My search for "240vac to 120vac isolation transformer 3kw" turn up a bunch of Isolation Transformers, several are 3kva which is not at all the same.
3kVA Isolation Transformers | Newark element14
They range in price from $300 -$1200
Would this one work?
SP3000MQMJ - Isolation Transformer, 3 kVA, 120V, 240V, 25 A, 1 x 240V, 1 x 480V, HPS Spartan Series

I suppose it is not ABYC certified so we should not have it on the boat.

Why couldn't I just connect the Charger (global AC power source) to shorepower with adapters? Is that unsafe because there is no fuse or breaker? There should be a simple way to accomplish this.

There seems to be a big focus on death in this thread.
Old 11-08-2018, 14:12   #74

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks.

Peter Kennedy says the transformer route is expensive. So I should see if I can find a yellow isolation transformer for 120vac to 240vac in a UK Catalogue, and they are cheap.

Since I would also need all the cable adapters to UK/European standard, I suppose the first step is to carry the required adapters for my cable to get the Charger going on its "global source". That would be best done before sailing over I think, because you'll need corresponding US Nema plugs/receptacles too.
I found this through google UK in about 10 seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-T...29SM7GTCGKG8X7
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 14:40   #75

Stormalong, what a wizard, 10 seconds? Thanks.

I suppose these are the connectors used on UK docks, but they say 110v? I thought it was 230v or 240v... below they state "240 volt or 110 vol"
Is that the type of male/female needed to make a short adapter cable with a US shorepower connector?

Later:
The cord looks like it is intended for the the 15amp 120vac side. There is a cord for the shorepower side, but it would not meet marina standards and the plug is not a marine plug. So there are plug issues to work out on both input and output.

Only 58L though.

Tags
dock, plug