Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2022, 21:31   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
DC charging challenge?

A long while ago I replaced my electrical panel putting in new Blue Sea DC and AC breaker panels. While I was wiring everything back together, I added some additional accessories, including a DC cigarette lighter port. I use this port to plug in a USB charger. The port is wired directly to the battery power with an inline fuse so that the charger can be used even if the batteries are turned off.

For the last 2 years the charger has been working fine. I plug in my lightning cord for my iPhone or a mini-USB for other items and they charge. This worked fine until earlier this year. Recently, I've been plugging in my phone or other devices and they randomly don't charge.

Now, you probably are thinking, "the cords are faulty".

"Did you try using a different or a new cord?"

Exactly, what I thought. So, I bought some new cords. I plugged in my phone and the new cord and it starts charging. Victory!

Ah, not that fast.

The next time I'm on the boat I plug my phone into the same cord and NOTHING. So, I think, "Maybe it's just the Lightning cord."

I plugged in the mini-USB cord and tried charging my spare battery. Nope.

This is what happens randomly. I come on the boat, plug in and the items charge. The next time: nope. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Does anyone know a reason a charger would work one time and not another? I'm flummoxed.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 21:44   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: DC charging challenge?

Lots of reasons and they are mostly related to either cheap electronics or corrosion.

Me - next time the USB charger fails, remove it from the cigar lighter port and plug in some other item which draws a couple of amps (i.e a 20W 12V lamp). If it illuminates nicely, then the USB charger might be intermittent.

BUT... the lamp may shine nicely and then when you try the USB charger again, it might work - if so, the extra current drawn for the lamp might have broken down some minor corrosion in the cigar port.

Frustrating isn't it...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 22:23   #3

Boat: Gemini 3200

It may be the DC cigarette lighter port that has failed. I recently had an issue with one which used a rivet for the center contact (with the wire connected to a ring terminal on the back side. The rivet had gotten lose and I wasn't getting a connection. I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a brass machine screw and nut. Now it works fine.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 22:27   #4

Possible a crappy in-line fuse. If it’s a glass one replace with a blade ato style.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 00:54   #5

Did you try using a different USB charger, not just different cords?
Bearlyfunctioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 07:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearlyfunctioni View Post
Did you try using a different USB charger, not just different cords?
Yes, that was the first thing I did. Then, I tried a different cord. And then I bought a new cord.

But the defective outlet sounds like a good next option.
Old 17-10-2022, 08:27   #7

The cigar lighter 12V port is a true abomination. One of the worst cases of something designed to do one thing, and then highjacked to do another.

It has two springs, one that holds the plug in by tension, and another that is doing its damndest to push the plug out. What could go wrong with that in a moving environment with corrosive air????

They are totally unsuitable for a permanent connection aboard a boat.

It would be very nice for a new standard for low voltage dc connections... But I imagine that is like pining while waiting for an improvement to the QWERTY keyboard...
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 10:27   #8

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

Don't wish to misdirect but the charger port on your phone can become packed with pocket lint causing the exact same intermittent problem with charging. Get a wooden tooth pick and poke in the phone port to make sure there is no lint preventing the plug from full insertion.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 21:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer_Med View Post
Don't wish to misdirect but the charger port on your phone can become packed with pocket lint causing the exact same intermittent problem with charging. Get a wooden tooth pick and poke in the phone port to make sure there is no lint preventing the plug from full insertion.
Thanks for the note, but it's not that, because it happens with various devices and the phone charges fine in the car. I spent the week on the boat last week and the charger worked the first three days and then did not on Thursday night. I woke up Friday morning to find my phone dead, but plugged into the same charger. I pulled out my AC charger, plugged it into the 120V outlet and charged the phone successfully.

Today, I went to the boat and plugged in my phone as I worked on some projects and the damn thing was working again. Arrggghhh! I also plugged in my GoPro and it also started charging! I guess I will have to replace the port.

Does anyone have a brand they recommend?
Old 18-10-2022, 02:10   #10

Narva are sort of OK. They make a HD cigar locket socket plus a few USB sockets.

We use them in rescue helicopters but we replace them quick smart if they fail

A lot RVers and off-roaders use them and they hold up OK on the rough Aussie outback tracks.

https://www.narva.com.au/products/81...cessory-socket

https://www.narva.com.au/categories/...ets/usb-socket
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-10-2022, 05:04   #11

Boat: Columbia 36

I prefer the power ports that have the USB outlet built in. Not an adapter but built in to the outlet. I have a bunch of USB things to plug in but nothing with a cigar plug so no point in having one. So far no problems with them. I did recently have a cigar plug fail in my car, I was running a 12 volt compressor to pump up a tire. It overheated the plug and melted it inside so the center pin no longer made contact.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 07:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I prefer the power ports that have the USB outlet built in. Not an adapter but built in to the outlet. I have a bunch of USB things to plug in but nothing with a cigar plug so no point in having one. So far no problems with them. I did recently have a cigar plug fail in my car, I was running a 12 volt compressor to pump up a tire. It overheated the plug and melted it inside so the center pin no longer made contact.
Yes, that can be a big issue for items that draw a lot of power. Normally, it just blows the fuse, but heat can cause other problems. Thanks.

I may install a custom outlet just for USB. I chose the cigarette lighter outlet because there are so many items available for them. The downside is that there are so many that crappy ones are everywhere.

One warning: USB chargers with LED indicator lights can draw down batteries significantly over time if you are not charging your batteries regularly. I prefer to get devices with the LED or to remove them when your not charging something.
Old 18-10-2022, 15:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
One warning: USB chargers with LED indicator lights can draw down batteries significantly over time if you are not charging your batteries regularly. I prefer to get devices with the LED or to remove them when your not charging something.
Off topic -
The Narva USB ports with the led indicators played havoc pilot night vision equipment. A small drill bit run down into the led indicator sorted the problem super fast .
Old 18-10-2022, 17:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
A long while ago I replaced my electrical panel putting in new Blue Sea DC and AC breaker panels. While I was wiring everything back together, I added some additional accessories, including a DC cigarette lighter port. I use this port to plug in a USB charger. The port is wired directly to the battery power with an inline fuse so that the charger can be used even if the batteries are turned off.

For the last 2 years the charger has been working fine. I plug in my lightning cord for my iPhone or a mini-USB for other items and they charge. This worked fine until earlier this year. Recently, I've been plugging in my phone or other devices and they randomly don't charge.

Now, you probably are thinking, "the cords are faulty".

"Did you try using a different or a new cord?"

Exactly, what I thought. So, I bought some new cords. I plugged in my phone and the new cord and it starts charging. Victory!

Ah, not that fast.

The next time I'm on the boat I plug my phone into the same cord and NOTHING. So, I think, "Maybe it's just the Lightning cord."

I plugged in the mini-USB cord and tried charging my spare battery. Nope.

This is what happens randomly. I come on the boat, plug in and the items charge. The next time: nope. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Does anyone know a reason a charger would work one time and not another? I'm flummoxed.
Remove the socket clean and restore all electrical connections to or at least close to factory . I bet the issues go away. After you verify all is good put some dialectic grease ( Vaseline works great) to all accessible electric connections.
Old 18-10-2022, 17:56   #15

The mini Andersen connectors and flush mount sockets are very good, all tinned copper contacts.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging