Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 22:39   #136

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Current pricing I am finding in Los Angeles, CA

Costco
- 6V battery without brand label (trying to get more info) $85
may be 215ah

Sams
- 6V Energizer GC2 (208 ah) $85

US Battery model 2200 (232 ah) $100

US Battery model 2200xc (232 ah) $109

Duracel SLIGC110 (215 ah) $110

Duracel SLIGC115 (230 ah) $109

Duracel SLIGC145UT (244ah) $111

Trojan T105 (225ah) $124

Trojan T125 (240 ah) $140
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 11:28   #137

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter
Re: Costco vs Trojan Batteries

I am replacing batteries and reading everythingm about choosing thenm on this forum. I've alslo followed lind to Beth & Evans Leonards observations and Maine Sail's How to articles on batteries.

Costco is now (as of February 2015) selling Interstate GC2 6v batteries. I called interstate to get the specs and find out if the GC2 they are selling to Costco are any different then a GC2 I would get at an Interstate store. They told me that the Interstate battery sold at Costco is identical to the 62 pound, 208 AH battery sold in their specialty Interstate stores. However, at the Interstate stores, they offer also offer 2 other 6v GC2 batteries with more amp hours. They are all rated at 1000 life cycles. At $84.00.

It sounds like a good deal.
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 11:36   #138

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Good information, this thread is several years old now, so I'm curious if you looked at the new batteries that are available now. I was also confused about the price, is that the price for the higher amp hour battery at Interstate or the price for the Costco battery?
Old 13-02-2015, 11:49   #139

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I truly don't understand what this discussion is about. We all know that the best battery is the one with the cheapest price. There's no difference in quality, performance or longevity. It's just like the difference between Mercedes Benz and Mitsubishi. They both start with "M" so the one with the cheapest price is the better car/deal. It seems to me it just takes some people a longer time to figure things out. Viva Costco, Viva Walmart, Viva Sam's Club . . . long live the price savvy, intelligent consumer. Captain R . . . pouring his first Russian Standard . . . shaken, not stirred.
Old 13-02-2015, 11:58   #140

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter

Yes I looked at new batteries that are available now. 84.00 price is the Costco price.
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 15:43   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I truly don't understand what this discussion is about. We all know that the best battery is the one with the cheapest price. There's no difference in quality, performance or longevity. It's just like the difference between Mercedes Benz and Mitsubishi. They both start with "M" so the one with the cheapest price is the better car/deal. It seems to me it just takes some people a longer time to figure things out. Viva Costco, Viva Walmart, Viva Sam's Club . . . long live the price savvy, intelligent consumer. Captain R . . . pouring his first Russian Standard . . . shaken, not stirred.
ron,

I am relatively new to this forum so, i'm not sure if your post is serious or tongue in cheek. if it is tongue in cheek, I applaud your humour. if not (I don't want to start a mud slinging word battle) then enjoy your vodka. I don't drink vodka, so I can not tell the difference between Russian standard and grey goose. they have a big price difference tho. I drink beer...I will most always buy what's on special.

however, there is a big difference between getting a deal on something and quality, quantity and performance.

cheaper can be better...and cheaper can worse. sometimes cheaper can be cheaper, and sometimes it can be more expensive than spending more in the first place.

there are lots of examples of all of these things in life.

I guess from your post that all you think all batteries are exactly the same. this is not true, even if you want it to be, from an economic point of view.

Beneteau Oceanis 50
MickBeth50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:36   #142

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Per Maine Sails advice, I purchased the Duracell 4 pack in 2011 and have had great service out of them. We are starting a refit on our new boat in a month and will install a set on this boat too. 4 years isn't the longest test, but I think it's a pretty good run for $340.

Matt
Old 13-02-2015, 16:42   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Yep, some blonde chick just got four of the stinking heavy ( too me) costco batteries. So I will be reporting or perhaps cuss'n as the case may be, in the next 2-6 years. Cuss'n if they die early. If they last 5+ years I will sing their praise.

FYI Costco battery's are 208AH, That's for the $84 battery and the only one stocked at the Costco I visited.

Max charge on bulk or absorption is 14.7V. Equalization voltage is 15.4V from interstates website and adjusted for pairs of 6V.

I even have them in the correct orientation, thanks to Mainesails website. Thank You Mr. MaineSail for a lovely website. Lots of really great info there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:43   #144

The first new set of batteries I bought were Sams club 6 volt golf cart batteries. They delivered them to the marina. They were 62 dollars a piece in 2000 . They lasted for 7 years. The next set was at Glades boat yard and they got sold with the boat in 2010. The price hasn't changed as much as I would have thought. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 17:27   #145
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Max charge on bulk or absorption is 14.7V. Equalization voltage is 15.4V from interstates website and adjusted for pairs of 6V.
And here! This is the good stuff...
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 18:41   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Yep, some blonde chick just got four of the stinking heavy ( too me) costco batteries. So I will be reporting or perhaps cuss'n as the case may be, in the next 2-6 years. Cuss'n if they die early. If they last 5+ years I will sing their praise.

FYI Costco battery's are 208AH, That's for the $84 battery and the only one stocked at the Costco I visited.

I even have them in the correct orientation, thanks to Mainesails website. Thank You Mr. MaineSail for a lovely website. Lots of really great info there.
SC34,

Can you please post a link that that info? In the past, I found a chart that said 7.75v per battery for absorption, today I found a pdf that said 7.65v for absorption. It's pretty confusing. Those numbers are reinforced by their chart stating 15.5v for their 12v GC battery.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/pdf/201535.pdf
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 19:05   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

socaldmax;
Interstate Batteries FAQ :: How do I charge certain deep cycle 6-volt and 12-volt batteries?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 19:24   #148

These are not deep cycle, these are the GC2-RD batteries, specifically listed in the pdf I linked in my post.

The higher charge voltage is part of why I prefer GC over deep cycle.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 19:38   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
These are not deep cycle, these are the GC2-RD batteries, specifically listed in the pdf I linked in my post.

The higher charge voltage is part of why I prefer GC over deep cycle.
AH, a 6V GC2 is a deep cycle battery. Per the link from DF, which is also the one I saw before, Equalization voltage is 7.65 pr 6V battery or 15.3V with two in series. Pretty sure Absorption for a standard GC2 would be in the 14.4-14.7 range for basic LA battery chemistry. If its outgassing its above absorption voltage.
Old 13-02-2015, 19:58   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
SC34,

Can you please post a link that that info? In the past, I found a chart that said 7.75v per battery for absorption, today I found a pdf that said 7.65v for absorption. It's pretty confusing. Those numbers are reinforced by their chart stating 15.5v for their 12v GC battery.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/pdf/201535.pdf

The costco battery in the local NorCal costco is the basic 208ah 6v GC2, sometimes called a U1800 or perhaps U2000. The cheapest 6v battery on interstates website is $145 for the GC2-HD which has 216 ah. The GC2-HD has a bulk voltage of 14.4V and an absorption voltage of 15.3V and a equalization voltage of 15.6V which is up there. But the battery at costco isn't that one. least not on the left coast.

I expect the chemistry of the GC2-HD plate is slightly different then the basic GC2 that costco sells for $84.