Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 10:40   #16

Re: Cost estimate and recommendations for generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Possible suggestion in starting out might be a Honda EU2000 with a "hard start" capacitor on the A/C. I have had no problem starting and running a 16K BTU marine A/C and having enough left over for many other conveniences of home. We found we started using it less and less as time went on as we begun the de-evolution process back into cavemen or more used to the conditions.

At any rate, if you find you would rather invest in a fixed unit after time, you will not lose much on the investment. Hard Start is good to have anyway and you can sell the EU2000 on the used market for pretty close to what you paid for it.
We have several Honda generators from 2k up to 8.6k. Perhaps the best generators out there on the market. You are correct; they are easy to resell. We live on an island off the coast of Maine, and never had a problem with them. The 8.6k runs the entire house with the exception of the microwave and the a/c units being run at the same time in the summer. On a boat, 4k probably would be way more than enough for a/c, frig, lights, and so forth. Plus they are about the quietest and smallest generators out there per kwh generated.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:50   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Possible suggestion in starting out might be a Honda EU2000 with a "hard start" capacitor on the A/C. I have had no problem starting and running a 16K BTU marine A/C and having enough left over for many other conveniences of home. We found we started using it less and less as time went on as we begun the de-evolution process back into cavemen or more used to the conditions.

At any rate, if you find you would rather invest in a fixed unit after time, you will not lose much on the investment. Hard Start is good to have anyway and you can sell the EU2000 on the used market for pretty close to what you paid for it.
Thanks, interesting. I would not have thought about 2k carrying 16k BTU. Honda seems to have an entirely new technology for generation. The start cap. is probably the ticket for the initial start up. Sounds like good info. for the OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:59   #18

In marine generators: Northern Lights are very good. Avoid Panda or Westerbeke IME.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:04   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I couldn't get either my old 16K to start with my Honda 2,000 or my new Webasto.
The Webasto in particular is hard to start but pulls less current once going.
My old AC pulled about 15 amps once running, the new Webasto pulls 11 or so once running.
A Honda EU 2000 is capable of supplying only 13 amps continously.
I won't say you can't pull a 16K AC off of a Honda 2000, but it will be busting a gut to do it, and these things get loud as RPM increases with load.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I couldn't get either my old 16K to start with my Honda 2,000 or my new Webasto.
My old AC pulled about 15 amps once running, the new Webasto pulls 11 or so once running.
I won't say you can't pull a 16K AC off of a Honda 2000, but it will be busting a gut to do it, and these things get loud as RPM increases with load.
Which is why we go with self starting generators and also carry a back up jump starting portable battery.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:22   #21

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Come on down and I will show you it done. The hard start capacitor is all that is needed as the amp draw is at startup.

I can even start and run it in eco mode and it is still far quieter and efficient than running the Westerbeke 4K on the other boat, granted that is late 80's era.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I started out with two Honda's as my intent is only occasional use, I don't want to run a generator anymore than I have to.
I found out that realistically speaking with just a little common sense, twin 2,000's tied together would run the whole boat, charge batteries, run air conditioning and do it in Eco mode, which is very important to me, cause in Eco mode, the noise level is much lower.
Anyway I had a CO issue, only way I could prevent measurable amounts of CO was to put them in the dinghy, it was never unsafe levels of CO, but I have a very sensitive CO meter and I always had some little amount in the boat no matter where on deck I put them. I couldn't sleep knowing that
Great thing with them in the dinghy was from inside of my boat, they were silent, with the AC on low, you couldn't hear them at all.
Just everyone else got to though. and pulling them in and out of the Lazarette and hauling them into and out of the dinghy was a real PIA, not the thing you would want to do after a passage, which meant they weren't used much, and that was only viable at anchor, not underway.
So I ended up with a built in generator.

Hope the guy who ended up with my Honda's is happy with them, seemed to be a nice guy.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I believe he said hard start capacitor, I have heard it called a soft start also. That may be the difference? Yep, I can see a 2k generator busting a gut on start up amp. draw. Probably loads down until the compressor gets turning.

Hopefully someone can contribute on the way the capacitor lessens the initial load. Please, someone other than those that read it someplace. I would sincerely like to know. My degree is vacuum tubes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58   #24

Search for Dometic Smart Start. Review below. There was another one I can't find that sold us from a boat show a few years ago.

On the RV Forums, you will find many home brew examples under the term hard start or soft start.
Old 11-04-2016, 13:29   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An issue is my newer, more efficient I believe rotary compressor AC pulls 11 amps after it settles down, the Honda can deliver only 13 amps continuously, that leaves 2 amps available for anything else. My old I think it was Marine Air pulled about 15.
My 5K only pulls 6 amps though, a Honda can easily run it with plenty of power to spare, I bought and installed it for that reason, and now when motoring I can run it off of the inverter too.
I have a Supco hard start capacitor on mine, and for some reason my Magnum MS 2812 inverter won't start the AC, even though it has a 5 sec surge to 3900 watts.

All I'm saying is you may be able to run a 16K AC off of a Honda, but you may not be able to also. I had a 5th wheel with dual AC's. You can't compare them with Marine units, I don't know why but Marine units seem to pull more amps, I assume it's because they are more compact, take up less space.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-04-2016, 14:05   #26

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I am in the process of having a new Northern Lights 6KW generator installed in my boat. I have done a lot of research and Northern Lights has come out on top. I have gotten a couple of quotes and it is an expensive proposition. The generator, sound enclosure, compound mounts, stainless exhaust elbow, muffler/air-water exhaust separator, fuel filter, fuel plumbing, electrical hardware is over $16K. The install will cost between $4-$6K. So I expect it will come in between $21K and $22K. The two quotes were pretty close.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 14:57   #27

Quote:
An issue is my newer, more efficient I believe rotary compressor AC pulls 11 amps after it settles down, the Honda can deliver only 13 amps continuously, that leaves 2 amps available for anything else. My old I think it was Marine Air pulled about 15.
My 5K only pulls 6 amps though, a Honda can easily run it with plenty of power to spare, I bought and installed it for that reason, and now when motoring I can run it off of the inverter too.
I have a Supco hard start capacitor on mine, and for some reason my Magnum MS 2812 inverter won't start the AC, even though it has a 5 sec surge to 3900 watts.

All I'm saying is you may be able to run a 16K AC off of a Honda, but you may not be able to also. I had a 5th wheel with dual AC's. You can't compare them with Marine units, I don't know why but Marine units seem to pull more amps, I assume it's because they are more compact, take up less space.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not that I like pointing to a competing forum or sure it is allowed, but see the reply from DometicMarine on Sailnet Honda eu2000i and air conditioning - Page 3 - SailNet Community and read it all of the way through. The rest of the thread is typical to any.
Old 11-04-2016, 15:08   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

I know there are lots of threads about running air conditioning off the Honda. In them some people are able and some aren't. I couldn't off a 2200W unit (non Honda)!!!

I have high hopes for the portable gas generator. But unless you just don't have the money or space I just came to the conclusion that they are poor substitutes for a 3.5-4KW below deck diesel generator
Old 11-04-2016, 15:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I know there are lots of threads about running air conditioning off the Honda. In them some people are able and some aren't. I couldn't off a 2200W unit (non Honda)!!!

I have high hopes for the portable gas generator. But unless you just don't have the money or space I just came to the conclusion that they are poor substitutes for a 3.5-4KW below deck diesel generator
Yes, there are lots of threads, I just pointed out one directly from the Dometic factory on their testing and results as opposed to reading through the rhetoric that makes up most opinions.

We have a 4KW Westerbeke Diesel Genset on the Cape Dory and use the Honda on our Island Packet. If presented with a choice, I would probably stick with the disposable Honda. When we get too old to sail and move to a Trawler, then it is a no brainer, we will have a genset.

So, invest $1500 in a Honda and Smart Start and give it a go. Don't like it, you should be able to get most of your investment back from the Honda and keep the Smart Start and invest in an installed 6-8K genset and all the bits to make it run.

Try your luck at one of the other hard/soft start systems, or invest in the Dometic who essentially guarantees it will work with the EU2000.
Old 11-04-2016, 16:00   #30

Boat: Kolibri 12'sloop

How big Is your boat? A 2kw gen should run an AC unit That will cool Most non palace boats.At my home i use two smaller units for backup rather than a large one.More redundancy if one fais one can supply critical needs,also in low load times a smaller one uses less fuel.Hondas or similiar are small,quiet,cheap wy complicate things.Use your imagination.Good place for this topic.
ReneL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, men