Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 08:52   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive
Charging problems

First, electrical is my Achilles Heal. But, I need to figure out my electrical system, what I have, what I need and the most important issue right now, why nothing seems to be charging properly.
I have a catamaran. When running engines my starboard engine is the generator. Port engine doesn’t seem to do any charging. It heats water.
Each engine has a Balmer Model 70-80 80 amp and it’s own starting battery.
I have 6 Full River DC224-6 AGM GC batteries that were installed in 2018.
For solar, there are two
There are 2AB switches on each engine, but I’m not sure what they are doing for me (see pic). There is no master switch to shut different battery banks off. My house batteries (6 GCs) aren’t taking much of a charge. The best I can do after about 4 hours is about 12.4 volts, which immediately drops to 12.2 or less when I turn the engine off.
My solar doesn’t seem to be doing much either. I’m in Ft Lauderdale with a sunny sky and it only seems to be generating 1.7-2 amps. I also have a wind generator, but I can’t tell what it’s output is.
So, a couple of questions.
1 should there be a master AB switch? If yes, where?
2 I am assuming my batteries need to be replaced, I’ll need to verify that with a battery expert.
What about lithium?
3 what does your solar setup look like? What power are you getting from it?
4 how do I check my wind generator?
5 what about isolators or combiners?
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging