Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2024, 05:48   #1

Boat: 1986 Cal 33-2
Bonding systems - 8AWG solid core to stranded wire connection

I have a mid 80s Cal with a solid 8 AWG bonding/grounding system. I need to repair/replace a section. The original design has ring terminals crimped onto solid wire which is not suggested today as far as I can tell.

It also has 5 solid wire ring terminals bolted onto a keel bolt plate, usually under bilge water. I'd like to simplify this, and run the existing solid wire grounds to a bus bar, then run 1-2 proper stranded ground wires to the grounding plate. (This is not a lightning protection set up, its all 8AWG, and not properly isolated from what I can tell).

So, what is the best way to transition from solid core to stranded wire? Alternatively, are there any reliable methods to crimp solid core? I can solder.

Replacing the entire system is not possible or practical.
Williwaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 06:45   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Bonding systems - 8AWG solid core to stranded wire connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williwaw_ View Post
I have a mid 80s Cal with a solid 8 AWG bonding/grounding system. I need to repair/replace a section. The original design has ring terminals crimped onto solid wire which is not suggested today as far as I can tell.

It also has 5 solid wire ring terminals bolted onto a keel bolt plate, usually under bilge water. I'd like to simplify this, and run the existing solid wire grounds to a bus bar, then run 1-2 proper stranded ground wires to the grounding plate. (This is not a lightning protection set up, its all 8AWG, and not properly isolated from what I can tell).

So, what is the best way to transition from solid core to stranded wire? Alternatively, are there any reliable methods to crimp solid core? I can solder.

Replacing the entire system is not possible or practical.
Your plan for modification… is that based on a design or suggestions from an electrical engineer? I hear all kinds of alarm bells ringing and recommend you don’t make any modifications unless approved by a qualified engineer.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 07:03   #3

OK, point taken.

To simplify, I need to replace a broken section of solid core 8AWG wire. I cannot access the originating point on the prop strut, so I'm stuck with needing to connect a bare copper wire to a grounding point that previously used a ring terminal attached to a stainless stud on a keel bolt plate.

What is the best way to make these connections - to a bare copper on one end, and to a 1/4" stud on the other that previously used a crimped on ring terminal?
Old 20-03-2024, 07:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, point taken.

To simplify, I need to replace a broken section of solid core 8AWG wire. I cannot access the originating point on the prop strut, so I'm stuck with needing to connect a bare copper wire to a grounding point that previously used a ring terminal attached to a stainless stud on a keel bolt plate.

What is the best way to make these connections - to a bare copper on one end, and to a 1/4" stud on the other that previously used a crimped on ring terminal?
You can buy connectors for grounding rods at the hardware store. The solid core goes into it as is and the stranded wire requires a crimped ferrule.

At the keel bolt you simply crimp a suitable ring terminal to the stranded cable. Use a closed lug and add dielectric grease before crimping. Use glue lined heat shrink to make it waterproof.

Old 20-03-2024, 07:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You can buy connectors for grounding rods at the hardware store. The solid core goes into it as is and the stranded wire requires a crimped ferrule.

At the keel bolt you simply crimp a suitable ring terminal to the stranded cable. Use a closed lug and add dielectric grease before crimping. Use glue lined heat shrink to make it waterproof.
This sounds exactly like what I'm after. Thank you. Do you have a name/link you could share? I'm not aware of such a solution.

Much appreciated.
Old 20-03-2024, 08:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This sounds exactly like what I'm after. Thank you. Do you have a name/link you could share? I'm not aware of such a solution.

Much appreciated.
There’s many types, here’s one: https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Cop.../dp/B0B1P15L43

Ferrules: https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-10-0m.../dp/B01I7X6FM8

you need a crimper that can handle the size: https://www.amazon.com/Hexagonal-Cri.../dp/B08TH75ZMR

Old 20-03-2024, 09:45   #7

Extremely helpful, thank you. Certainly seems to be the best method given my situation, I had been searching for a while before posting.
Old 20-03-2024, 11:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I'd use a tin plated split bolt connector, equal to Burndy 'Servit', type "KSU".
https://www.hubbell.com/burndy/en/po...rs-split-bolts
https://www.hubbell.com/burndy/en/Pr...BBolts%253EKSU

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
core