Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 23:25   #16

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor
i did a little bit of googling and seems like i want a 1 2 both switch with the charge current going directly to the house bank. then to charge the start battery with an echo charge or acr. acr seems a little expensive but probably better. I typed in echo charger on the west marine website and i get xantrax echo charger. By the way they describe this product it seems more of something to be used with a battery charger. So is this what i need? Why does everything have to be such a goosechase?
As I understand it anytime the echo charger senses charging current be it alternator, solar or plugged into a charger it will divert some current to the start bank. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 02:12   #17

Re: Battery Switch Confusing Me

That description may be because the Eco-charger has the word "charger" in its name and they want to make sure you don't think it is, in itself, a "battery charger" in the usual sense of the term. But yes, what you just described is what you want, though as has been noted, you'll have way more starting capacity than you'll ever, ever need with this configuration.

You can't go wrong listening to btrayfors' and Maine Sail's advice: they're knowledgeable and have the hearts of teachers. I've benefited tremendously from reading them the last 5 years.
Old 02-10-2011, 21:22   #18

Re: Battery Switch Confusing Me

Thanks so much everybody, the people on this forum are the best and thanks marksf for the tip about figuring make before break, ( i was gonna use a voltage meter but thats way easier) I havent even started on the project yet i was battling a storm (at the dock) saving boats from sinking including my own. Although 2 boats down was a 30 foot trojan. It sank.
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 21:42   #19

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor
I havent even started on the project yet i was battling a storm (at the dock) saving boats from sinking including my own.
That must be going around. We've had a 3 day gale and had too keep a constant watch as many dock lines chafed through, gennys unfurled partially and gear failed. Thankfully we did ok but others weren't as lucky.

Hope you came through it ok. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery