Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 16:10   #1

Battery Installation Went Wrong -- Tell me I am OK!

Today I was replacing the two batteries on my Catalina 25. No shore power connected. Battery switched to off.

This is where I did something really stupid. I accidentally attached the negative wire to the positive post on the first disconnected battery. I did not disconnect the second old battery yet.

Then I tried to attach the other wires (first a green wire) to the negative post. Sparks flew. I did not understand what I had done (very hot, very tired) so I tried again. Sparks.

I suddenly realized what I had done and proceeded to wire both batteries correctly.

On doing some other maintenance, I noticed the green wire was likely the ground to my West Marine Charger.

So my question is, did I do any damage? I have not tried to connect the charger until I find out if there is the potential for a problem. The fuse panel was off and, again, there was no shore power connected.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 16:28   #2

Re: Battery Installation Went Wrong -- Tell me I am OK!

Only YOU are in a position to try it by wiring it properly. Usually sparks are a good indication you did something wrong, and if you got the wire off fast enough, both times, things could well be just fine.

Good luck.

PS - Don't do this carp when you're tired, hot and sweaty. Just makes things worse, right?

PPS Former C25 owner, 1981 hull #4891.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, installation