Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 21:40   #1

Boat: Catalac 9M
Battery Bank Critique ?

Killed my probably dead batteries, since I either had the two switch setting wrong, of there was a way to switch them off independently. Guessing no, since the previous owner said he just left them both on. I think I might have a dummy proof way of doing it, but feel free to let me know otherwise.

Each starting and charging system will be isolated. As long as the OFF-1-BOTH-2 switch is NOT in the BOTH position. The switch serves a dual function. In the OFF position it disconnects the house load from the batteries. In the 1 or 2 position, the house load is powered from a single battery as selected. In the BOTH position, the house load is powered from both batteries, and the two batteries are connected in parallel. The BOTH position should only be used for special cases, such as attempting to start an engine and needing additional battery power. I plan on using this diagram,
See next post
In addition, I am using a Blue Sea ACR between the batteries most likely right at the switch to make sure they both charge regardless of switch setting. To address the issue of being able switch one or both banks completely off I am using a OFF, ON 1, COMBINE switch to disconnect the battery by switching off the ground that has the solar/wind/charging and house loads connected to it, or both. Think it will work without any fires?
New Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 00:37   #2

Re: Battery Bank Critique ?

It's the "new" diagram, the last design on the page.
Classic Whaler: Boston Whaler: Reference: Dual Engine/Dual Battery
Old 25-08-2011, 09:52   #3

Seems that the links have been acting up. I can click the URL but let me know if the link is broken.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:01   #4

For clarification, I will be connecting house leads and auxilliary charging devices to a bus bar connected to terminal C. House loads and battery charged primarily will be switchable to selectable battery with the ACR bleeding charge to other battery keeping both charged at all times this criteria is met: Minimum 13.6 volts for 30 seconds or 13 volts for two minutes. And will isolate batteries from each other when there is 12.35 for 10 seconds or 12.75 for 30 seconds.

Tags
battery