Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 09:33   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Balmar regulator behaviour

I have a Balmar regulator -- an older 614 set to Lifepo specs.

I have measured the field output voltage to vary between 12.04-12.37 at the regulator. My voltmeter updates about once per second and the numbers jump around quite a bit.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal behaviour from a Balmar regulator or is it dying?

Also, I have confirmed:
- battery sense voltage at the regulator is not jumping around
- temperature probe values at the regulator are not jumping around (actually I can run it with probes disconnected.)

I would have expected the field output voltage to be fairly constant until the regulator gets a signal (higher battery voltage or higher temperatures sensed) to change it.
themorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:07   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Balmar regulator behaviour

Field voltage starts out near 12v, but tapers down to about 5v with a fully charged battery. Important to read what the regulator reads internally for battery voltage and desired battery voltage.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:33   #3

Thanks. I have measured the battery sense voltage at the regular to be constant at 13.4v and the regular screen says 13.4v battery and 14.4v target. Since these values are not jumping around, I would have expected the field output not to jump around but maybe this is normal behaviour from a Balmar?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:42   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Is it working and charging correctly?
I'm not sure, but I think the output might be PWM. If so, you can't measure it with a voltmeter. You would need to contact Balmar to confirm this, and the correct way to test the regulator
Old 04-03-2024, 10:46   #5

Boat: None

Regulators vary field voltage in order to maintain a preset charge/system voltage. The Balmar unit can even shut off field voltage if it detects an over voltage.

Make sure that you do not have a 2nd or 3rd charge voltage feeding into the system. External regulators do not play well with secondary charge voltages from shore power, solar or wind.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Is it working and charging correctly?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out My shunt shows the amps coming off the alternator jumping around wildly too. From about 30-80 amps, changing every second.

Tags
balmar, regulator