Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 20:48   #1

Boat: Tayana 52, AC
B2B Charger replacement option

On my previous boat, I had an Ample Power "Eliminator", which was a 3 step B2B regulator/charger that was designed to charge the start battery from the house bank. It seems as though something like that would be great to use between my 12v LiFePO4 house bank and my start battery. Can't seem to find a small, simple similar product. Anybody know of one?
Alternatively, I was thinking about mounting a small (separate from my large solar array) solar panel with a solar charge controller specifically for the start battery. Could be a small flexible solar panel on the dodger. Anyone else with LFP do this?
Thanks.
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 20:56   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: B2B Charger replacement option

Try This https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-combiners
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 21:09   #3

Just found this:
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Not as sophisticated as the "Eliminator", but might work great as a simple solution. Feedback and/or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 14-02-2020, 00:24   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I installed a Blue Sea Echo charger exactly for that purpose. It is not a combiner, more like a high power diode.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:21   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscriba View Post
On my previous boat, I had an Ample Power "Eliminator", which was a 3 step B2B regulator/charger that was designed to charge the start battery from the house bank. It seems as though something like that would be great to use between my 12v LiFePO4 house bank and my start battery. Can't seem to find a small, simple similar product. Anybody know of one?
Alternatively, I was thinking about mounting a small (separate from my large solar array) solar panel with a solar charge controller specifically for the start battery. Could be a small flexible solar panel on the dodger. Anyone else with LFP do this?
Thanks.
Yandina has released a LITHIUM compatible version of the Combiner 100 that will charge a Lithium house battery from your alternator and lead-acid starting battery.

There are also Lithium versions of the Trollbridge 12X24 and Trollbridge 36 for charging 23 and 36 volt Lithium batteries from the 12 volt alternator
Old 14-02-2020, 10:02   #6

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

I have 2 Alfatronix B2B chargers in my solar house and engine charging system.
https://www.alfatronix.com/dc-dc-battery-chargers

CTEK has some good alternatives as well. More capabilities, and a little more expensive:
https://www.ctek.com/no/products/vehicle/d250se

Marko
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 12:28   #7

If you've got some Frugal DIY genes inside of you, you can get a simple 10 amp buck boost converter, and switch it on manually when start battery charging is desired.

Takes any input voltage, and outputs a Nearly constant perfect voltage, upto 10 amp and one can limit maximum amperage by the current trimpot.

I use these to speed control 24vDC fans, but have used them to EQ batteries at 16.2v.. The heatsinks are designed to accept a 50mm computer fan which would be wise to add if approaching their amperage limits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC5-30V-to-...torefresh=true

One can get simpler Boost converters for even cheaper, assuming they always want to boost voltage, instead of buck it. They are more efficient too.
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 14:41   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscriba View Post
Thanks.
I think I still have an Ample power eliminator sitting in a locker in my boat. I replaced it with a Yandina battery charging relay about 20 years ago. I didn't like the low charging rate that it supplied. If you want it and I can find it it is yours for $10.00 plus postage. Send me a pm.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 16:14   #9

these are brand new and likly the best choice. as you can set the voltages correctly with 2 different types of batteries. but I've yet to get my hands on one. (could not a few months back)

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-...ion-tr%20smart

the balmar duocharge or xantrax echocharge are other less good options.

I would not use a combiner / relay
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 21:00   #10

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
these are brand new and likly the best choice. as you can set the voltages correctly with 2 different types of batteries. but I've yet to get my hands on one. (could not a few months back)

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-...ion-tr%20smart

the balmar duocharge or xantrax echocharge are other less good options.

I would not use a combiner / relay

Why not, see Cyrix-Li-ct 12/24-120 and diagram at bottom of page 2

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Cyrix-Li-ion-120-A-EN.pdf

Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 13:47   #11

Boat: 31ft tank

There are some smaller ones as well and they have lithium settings.

https://www.renogy.com/12v-60a-dc-to...ttery-charger/
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 21:58   #12

Went with an "Amp-L-Start G2", mounted it next to and wired it directly to my Blue Seas ML-RBS 7700 start battery switch and the main positive busbar. Monitors the start battery and sips amps from my LFP house battery (main positive busbar) when charging. Easy peasy.
Thanks for the response/input!

Tags
charger, men