Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 10:00   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Anyone using Mastervolt Lithium Batteries?

Hey there folks,

Im reaching out to see if anyone is using Mastervolt Lithium batteries in their cruising boats. From the research I've done, they seem to be the only reputable vendor of drop-in Marine Lithium batteries.

I'm about to take the $$$ plunge and I'd like to see how its gone so far for others.

For reference:
Mastervolt - Innovative power systems<br>for autonomous use

Cheers
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 10:57   #2

Re: Anyone using Mastervolt Lithium Batteries?

I installed two 24V 180Ah ones in my Baltic. Absolute best thing I did. Super quick charging, regularly take them down to 25%. Very good performance. My battery bank 360Ah at 24V is now half of what I had before I have saved 200Kg

Francisco
fchurtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 23:44   #3

I have 3 of the 360 Ah 12 volt batteries. Use with a mastervolt combi and soon to be installed mastervolt alpha alternator. I can run two air cons and fridges plus basic lights overnight with no problem off the batteries alone. Recharge time the next morning is usually 1-2 hours depending on obvious variables. Great investment. So much so on my next boat I'll seriously debate the need for having a genset. With solar and two Diesel engines (cat) , the genset needs become much less. I choose to go all mastervolt as I expect the various parts of the system will work best if all coming from the same vendor. It's been nearly a year since the install and everything is working as advertised. No complaints.
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 09:56   #4

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

"only reputable vendor of drop-in Marine Lithium batteries."...

We have to take exception to that assessment! Especially given that our OPE-Li3 systems are replacing MV on several boats these days. For instance the latest Gunboat 57 shown at the Annapolis show has a 900Ah x 24V OPE-Li3 system. Other recent orders are a 2000Ah x 24V system for a Gunboat 90, and a 1200Ah x 24V for the two recent Coastal Craft 65's.

Hugo Boss (Alex Thomson) and Jean Le Cam will both be racing in the Vendee Globe with OPE-Li3, and Rich Wilson has a Genasun system we also provided a couple years ago. I don't know of a more challenging application for batteries than the Vendee (have done it myself)....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 22:37   #5

Boat: 2005 bavaria 42 cruiser and a 1982 Nauticat 52

I am not using mastervolt, but I am using 3x 100AH lifepo4 batteries from makspower in Norway. Very happy with them.

Added a picture in a previous post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...65069-367.html

best regards
Steini-nor
Steini-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:11   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450

We have recently installed a Mastervolt LiFePO4 system onto our L450. While Im completely satisfied with their performance, after sales service and support I wouldnt say they were the only reputable vendor. I know of a number of other cruisers out there with other lithium setups who are equally satisfied.

We installed the MLI5000's, upgraded batt charger, BMS, alts, and all associated items. Occasionally I have asked Mastervolt to link into our system, via internet with MasterAdjust, to review and tweak the setup. Its a high quality and safe product to be sure but there are other equally good products out there.

Steve
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 12:13   #7

Hi Tim,

Can you please elaborate on using the Aircon overnight on the battery bank. What type of aircon units and boat do you have? What are your normal aircon settings and do you know the water temp where you are? How many amps does each unit draw say over eight hours?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking at doing something similar.

Thanks
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKTim View Post
I have 3 of the 360 Ah 12 volt batteries. Use with a mastervolt combi and soon to be installed mastervolt alpha alternator. I can run two air cons and fridges plus basic lights overnight with no problem off the batteries alone. Recharge time the next morning is usually 1-2 hours depending on obvious variables. Great investment. So much so on my next boat I'll seriously debate the need for having a genset. With solar and two Diesel engines (cat) , the genset needs become much less. I choose to go all mastervolt as I expect the various parts of the system will work best if all coming from the same vendor. It's been nearly a year since the install and everything is working as advertised. No complaints.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:14   #8

Boat: Hylas 49

Tim,

Also curious about the aircon. Do you run a large inverter? Which brand/capacity? Our goal is to do extended cruising, but we don't have a generator currently.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:53   #9

I have more specific stats written down at home but in a different country at the moment. I'll give you some broad parameters here and can follow up with anything more specific this weekend when back home.

The system I tested this past summer was:

2 x 360 12 volt lithium mastervolt batteries
1 x mastervolt 3000 watt 150 amp combi
1 x 12k btu Cruisair air con
1 x vitrifrigp 2 drawer fridge freezer
Miscellaneous lights (anchor, floor etc)

Water temperature was 28-30 degrees
Air temperature was 30-32 degrees
Humidity was 85-90%

My test, done over several nights to get an average result was to cool / dry the starboard hull of my 48 foot catamaran first with genset on. At 10 pm genset would be turned off and would run items listed above through to 6 am off batteries alone.

I can't remember the exact average amps consumed but I think it was around 40-50 per hour. The result reflects the fact that the air con and fridge cycle off for long periods through the night, especially since the cabin had been pre cooled.

With my 720 amp house bank, I had 75% of this or 540 amp available to use. My all night usage was never near this limit.

I was so impressed with the results that I have now added a third 360 lithium to the house, a second combi and am set up to run a second 12k btu air con unit in the port hull now as well. On the port side the air con is just in one smaller cabin so expect the required cycling will be even less. So far, after a few test nights, this has been fine.
Old 22-11-2016, 17:01   #10

Tim are you HKG based? I was there 93-97 and then moved to SGP like so many other expats.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what temp you set your aircon to? Do you remember how much of that 40-50 amps was taken by the fridge freezers?

Is your master cabin taking up a full hull and have you thought about portioning it, assuming your aircon unit is close to your bed? I understand "sheer" curtain fabric works well.

How many amps will your Mastervolt Alpha alternator put out and will you use it in tandem with the existing alternator? I'm thinking of two Balmar AT200 alternators with a Balmar duo charge to give 400 amps per hour. These would take about 11hp and hopefully put a reasonable load on a 57hp Yanmar at say 1200rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKTim View Post
I have more specific stats written down at home but in a different country at the moment. I'll give you some broad parameters here and can follow up with anything more specific this weekend when back home.

The system I tested this past summer was:

2 x 360 12 volt lithium mastervolt batteries
1 x mastervolt 3000 watt 150 amp combi
1 x 12k btu Cruisair air con
1 x vitrifrigp 2 drawer fridge freezer
Miscellaneous lights (anchor, floor etc)

Water temperature was 28-30 degrees
Air temperature was 30-32 degrees
Humidity was 85-90%

My test, done over several nights to get an average result was to cool / dry the starboard hull of my 48 foot catamaran first with genset on. At 10 pm genset would be turned off and would run items listed above through to 6 am off batteries alone.

I can't remember the exact average amps consumed but I think it was around 40-50 per hour. The result reflects the fact that the air con and fridge cycle off for long periods through the night, especially since the cabin had been pre cooled.

With my 720 amp house bank, I had 75% of this or 540 amp available to use. My all night usage was never near this limit.

I was so impressed with the results that I have now added a third 360 lithium to the house, a second combi and am set up to run a second 12k btu air con unit in the port hull now as well. On the port side the air con is just in one smaller cabin so expect the required cycling will be even less. So far, after a few test nights, this has been fine.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:34   #11

John. I am still in Singapore today. But back in HK tomorrow. I'll get you some answers when I am back home. Tim
Old 23-11-2016, 12:44   #12

Ok, I started to get really excited reading this thread! Particularly the idea about running my AC unit off battery power over night. I think the idea of cooling the cabin first with the genset is a great one but two factors caused me to have a lot less interest...

1) The cost - a single 360ah battery is $6.3K!
2) Anyone heard about the Samsung Note? Given the issues with high density lithium batteries I think I would be very tempted to wait a bit longer to let the problems with fire sort themselves out. A battery fire on a sailboat would be let's just say a bit of a bummer!
Lamb Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:51   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Chops View Post
Ok, I started to get really excited reading this thread! Particularly the idea about running my AC unit off battery power over night. I think the idea of cooling the cabin first with the genset is a great one but two factors caused me to have a lot less interest...

1) The cost - a single 360ah battery is $6.3K!
2) Anyone heard about the Samsung Note? Given the issues with high density lithium batteries I think I would be very tempted to wait a bit longer to let the problems with fire sort themselves out. A battery fire on a sailboat would be let's just say a bit of a bummer!
Boeing had some airplane fires from these batteries. It don't know if and how they corrected the situation but I agree, they may not be quite ready for prime time.
Old 23-11-2016, 13:23   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Boeing had some airplane fires from these batteries.

Umm no, they did not.... Boeing had a fire with LiCoO2 (lithium cobalt oxide) batteries, one of the most volatile Li chemistries there is. Mastervolt is using LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) which is considered perhaps the safest Li chemistry available today.

Comparing LiCoO2 to LifePo4 is like comparing an F350 Super Duty turbo diesel with a Subaru Outback for towing a boat. I mean heck they both have a trailer hitch...
Old 23-11-2016, 14:30   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Umm no, they did not.... Boeing had a fire with LiCoO2 (lithium cobalt oxide) batteries, one of the most volatile Li chemistries there is. Mastervolt is using LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) which is considered perhaps the safest Li chemistry available today.

Comparing LiCoO2 to LifePo4 is like comparing an F350 Super Duty turbo diesel with a Subaru Outback for towing a boat. I mean heck they both have a trailer hitch...

Glad you corrected Lamb Crops and subseuent post.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast