Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 14:11   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Thumbs up

I was made aware of the Aqua Signal brand of nav lights in one of Hal Roths books. The filiament in the bulb is huge, consumes significant energy and is rated for two miles of visability. I think this brand is considered to be the big bad gorilla of nav lights and usually outperforms most other brands in the visabilty department. I have a great fear of being run down by some drunken fool while sleeping.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 14:31   #17

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
My most important consideration with my anchor amd nav lights is being able to be seen as much as possible under all conditions. I would respectfully suggest that LED's are not as bright as high quality Aqua Signal anchor light with a filament bulb. If my memory serves me well the latter has a visible range of two miles where their LED version is rated for a mile?
It's possible that one brand of incandescent anchor light is brighter than the same company's LED light, but two and three mile LED anchor lights are available.

I agree that being seen is the reason for having an anchor light in the first place. I'm not sure it needs to be seen two or three miles away, but it needs to be bright enough and obvious enough to draw attention to your anchored boat. It's also important that it is not blocked from view at any angle.
Old 21-07-2010, 14:34   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
That is great for you, except if someone collides with you at anchor, your lights don't meet the legal definition and you could be found at fault. In addition, some local law enforcement types will write a citation for incorrect anchor lights. The solar garden lights don't always last all night, we use them as supplementals, and are not very bright at all.
excuse me, but i must roll on the floor and laugh my fool arse off over this ridiculous post!!!!
mine have lasted ALL night without problem --lol--it DOES take 3 days of charging initially to make them useful. you do that in port befoire departure so you dont have the failure at sea..LOL..just read the info that comes with the lights --boys have a tendency to not bother with instructions or maps--LOL---
if anyone crashes into me is only because they are a) blind or
b) blind*** drunk-- my lights are brighter than the kerosene perko with the fresnel lens that is able to be seen brightly for 3, yes, 3 miles--and i have more than 3 on board shining at all times at night--when i was sail cruising over the past year, we had 2 of the spot light kind in use over the bimini shining on the sails as we sailed--when our bow light broke while under way at night in the in the middle of the gulf, the only thing the shrimper saw was that we were a sailboat. now--who is gonna hit whom?? and who says we all HAVE to go out and spend more money than necessary on stupidity sold at 400percent markup--i have a problem with any markup--taught all my life to " never pay retail" LOL.....go out and see for yourself-dont be sheeple--lol--go out and kayak or row around in anchorages and see for yourself what truly does and doesnt work---i have seen so many "marine grade, approved" bs items fail when needed most--these things i use donot fail..LOL...can be seen for 5 miles when requirements say 3--LOL--remember--i have been out there doing it with what i have been using--is cruise tested and succeeded..LOL..have fun. oh yes, and when i was inspected by uscg--they were surprised to see i was using stuff that is extra bright and cheap..lol...i got approval from them--so----go with what you want to spend your money on what you want to -- and use that which is visible. it is not necessary to spend a lot and have to have it marine grade when 5 dollars and no wiring make it really easily used and without any problems of logistics in the cockpit. everyone complains about wires and lines in cockpit--yet the solutions are dissed?? get real, boys--this isnt a contest to see how much money you can spend on bs items--is how to be safe and be seen at sea. the boat i sailed on in usvi and bvi in dec 2008 also used these lights. they are incredible and they are solar..LOL...
when folks have functional and usable ideas that actually work, should not diss them..LOL...have fun and mebbe you will have a dime in your wallet by the time you wish to cruise....also remember, the economy isnt going to get better before it gets worse --

i know of no "local authorities" who will write a ticket for bad lights when they are seen for 5 miles. that is for the back bay and the derelictus element residing there--is this your personal experience--receiving tickets for improper lights?? the ones that came with my boats are far more dangerous that my cool-a** ones LOL...look around you and see this isnt about who is partying in the deep back bay, is about cruising and sailing. and waht sn be seen as you do this activity. have fun and smoooooth sailing!!
\
yes--the law i read says specifically that the light must be visible for 3 miles. look it up. it doesnt place limitations on style of lighting--just on minimum distance of visibility. so it makes mine even safer than the fresnel lens anchor lamps, as mine allows the drunk on a mad drive 2 m ore miles to see what he is going to get sued by.LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 15:25   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I was made aware of the Aqua Signal brand of nav lights in one of Hal Roths books. The filiament in the bulb is huge, consumes significant energy and is rated for two miles of visability. I think this brand is considered to be the big bad gorilla of nav lights and usually outperforms most other brands in the visabilty department. I have a great fear of being run down by some drunken fool while sleeping.
The LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use info indicates that it's minimum range is over 2nm, presumably with batteries providing voltage at the low end, and almost 3nm as a normal average.

The http://www.aquasignal.info/aquasigna..._40.pdf?id=184 website for series 40 fixtures just says 2nm range with no qualifications about voltage.

Has anybody seen a comparison of ranges actually viewed in the real world at varying voltages for these and/or other fixtures?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 15:32   #20

Boat: 34 Marshall Californian - FlyWright
I have paired the Davis Masthead Mega Light (Davis | Marine) with the Marinebeam LED replacement bulb (Replacement LED bulbs for your Davis Mega Light) for a photocell controlled LED anchor light that is much brighter and whiter than my incadescent bulb and burns 0.41 A at 12V, less than 1/2 the 0.11A of the low power Davis bulb which comes with the Mega Light. Auto-on at sunset, auto-off at sunrise and extremely low power and great brightness. The cost is affordable at $50 for the light and $10 for the LED bulb. (I am NOT affiliated with either complany, just a happy customer.)
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 16:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use info indicates that it's minimum range is over 2nm, presumably with batteries providing voltage at the low end, and almost 3nm as a normal average.

The http://www.aquasignal.info/aquasigna..._40.pdf?id=184 website for series 40 fixtures just says 2nm range with no qualifications about voltage.

Has anybody seen a comparison of ranges actually viewed in the real world at varying voltages for these and/or other fixtures?
Hal Roth has an entire chapter dedicated to the Aqua Signal lights that he discusses real world experince, nothing scientific though.
Old 21-07-2010, 16:41   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
define real world experience...
is that like what i did--went cruising with it to report back to have folks diss ye? LOL.
requirements are 3 nm visibility, mine are 5---lol--have fun unnecessarily spending lots of money.
when i was out in the middle of the gulf and th eshrimper called on vhf at 0300 asking "the sailboat " which direction i was going, as my nav light on the bow had corroded off after only 2 months of use..(worst marine--excellent quality!) ..tells me that my light was visible on my sails fo mopre than 5 nm, as i could only see his lights not even his boat as he was min 5 mi away from me. tells me the quality of marine goods isnt worthy of my spending my time on them. 2 months is very short time for marine grade lights . since this is a great big problem-the lights may look good in the marina , but they dont last any time at all in the REAL WORLD, then why bother with the marine grade pricing..LOL........roflmfao....opcorn :

i , like, SO dont need books for my real life experiences..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:01   #23

Boat: private yacht always moving
From the U.S. DOT USCG Navigation Rules:
Lights and Shapes - Rule 30 (International)
Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground
(a) [I chose to not type the rules for vessels over 50 meters]
(b) A vessel less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule.

Rule 22 Visibility of Lights (International) does in fact address the visibility of anchor lights directly; as the "all-round light".
(a) [I will not quote the >= 50 meter rule.]
(b) Invessels of 12 meters or more but less than 50 meters in length:
- masthead, 5 mi; except where the length of the vessel is less than 20 meters, 3 mi.
- sidelight, 2 mi.
- sternlight, 2 mi.
- all-round light, 2 mi.

(c) In vessels of less than 12 meters in length:
- masthead, 2 mi.
- sidelight, 1 mi.
- sternlight, 2 mi.
- all-round light, 2 mi.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:16   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use info indicates that it's minimum range is over 2nm, presumably with batteries providing voltage at the low end, and almost 3nm as a normal average. . .
If you are located in North American waters and/or your boat is insured, do not any LED navigation lights that are not USCG Certified. There are LED light fixtures listed by some of the posters that USCG certified. However, the Bebi Electronics LED lights are not USCG certified and their website carries the following information:
"If you have insurance and you are involved in a collision at night, your claim may be dis-allowed if you have a non-OEM light bulb, whether it is an LED, incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent, in the fixture, regardless of the real reason for the collision."
- - If you are not insured and operating outside the USA waters then use whatever you want . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:29   #25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you are located in North American waters and/or your boat is insured, do not any LED navigation lights that are not USCG Certified. There are LED light fixtures listed by some of the posters that USCG certified. However, the Bebi Electronics LED lights are not USCG certified and their website carries the following information:
"If you have insurance and you are involved in a collision at night, your claim may be dis-allowed if you have a non-OEM light bulb, whether it is an LED, incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent, in the fixture, regardless of the real reason for the collision."
- - If you are not insured and operating outside the USA waters then use whatever you want . . .
And that as they say is that
Old 21-07-2010, 19:43   #26

Boat: csy 37
zeehag, if you'd like to get a ticket for not having an all around anchor light,

come to daytona beach florida. cost me and a few others $85. having a solar light on deck, or even several, does not meet coast guard requirements, at least not in daytona beach.

by the way, i use the owl led light and it it extremely bright. since it only draws 100ma, i didn't even bother with the automatic switch. mine lights up 24 hours a day, drawing about 2.5 amps.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 05:19   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
come to daytona beach florida. cost me and a few others $85. having a solar light on deck, or even several, does not meet coast guard requirements, at least not in daytona beach.

Can you please elaborate on getting a ticket in Daytona. I anchor just south and east of Memorial Bridge in Daytona using my little salt shaker anchor light (GM sidelight socket and bulb in a salt shaker, 0.24 amp draw) and have never been bothered by the authorities.

Old 22-07-2010, 06:20   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
--- the Marinebeam LED replacement bulb --- burns 0.41 A at 12V, less than 1/2 the 0.11A of the low power Davis bulb ---
0.41 amps is less than half of 0.11 amps? How does that work?
Old 22-07-2010, 06:20   #29

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

by the way, i use the owl led light and it it extremely bright. since it only draws 100ma, i didn't even bother with the automatic switch. mine lights up 24 hours a day, drawing about 2.5 amps.
Having anything "on the deck" would fall short of the "all around" requirement wouldn't it? Maybe the ticket was less about the style of light ( solar powered) then the use of the light.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 07:42   #30

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
I don't think I read anywhere in the regs (22 or 30) that it said the light must be pre approved by the CG. If the light is visible for 3 miles it is legal. If you were to be hit it would be up to the person making the claim to prove that your light was not visible for 3 miles, not that it lacked CG approval. When you see "CG approved" it only means that the company making the light maintains that it meets the CG rule 22, not that the CG came out and tested the light and gave it a certificate of approval.

To meet the Rule 22 requirements it would only be necessary for the light to emit about 100 lumens, most LEDs used for this purpose emit 220 lumens. A 25 watt incandescent bulb emits 210 lumens.

Vasco, Love you salt shaker! I'm thinking of setting up a baby food jar with one of these in it. (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...U15S-x18-T.htm)
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor