Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 15:10   #1

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran
Alt manual regulator control

Hi, would anybody be familiar with this unit? There doesn't seem to be any identification on it, it is connected to a small box which houses an external regulator, we are getting some very irregular charging issues with the charge light not extinguishing, sometimes it seems to be charging sometimes not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20201224_150543.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	229349  
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 16:25   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Alt manual regulator control

Can you take a picture of what is inside it and also of the external regulator?

This info will help in working out what it is and how it works.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 19:17   #3

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to explain what's happening, on the low setting the charge light is off, batteries reading 13.6v, turn the switch to medium and it shows 16amps being put into the batteries, the light is still off, at 13.7v the charge light comes back on, one thing that has been noticed is that turning the switch through lo medium and high the batt charge light will flash between settings with amps dropping to 0amps for a split second, I've attached some pictures of the unit, there are no identifying marks on the system at all except for the regulator, Bosch EP14V4.

Cheers Rod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6333.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	229353   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	229354  

Name:	IMG_6337.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	229355   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR(1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	229356  

Old 25-12-2020, 23:40   #4

OK.
This looks very much a custom made regulator control.

The rotary switch inserts some fixed resistance somewhere in the regulator circuit corresponding to the switch position (normal/low/medium/high). One resistor appears to be 15Kohms (brown, green, orange), another is 4.7Kohms (yellow, violet, red) and the other is perhaps 770 ohm (violet, violet, brown) but is hard to see from the picture.

The 'external' regulator looks very like an internal regulator modified by cutting off the brush block and fitted externally.

Again it hard to see the final digits of the Bosch part number by I think it may be 9-190-067-019. If so, theses are fitted (internally) to Holden Commodores (and many other vehicles). The number EP14V4 is the voltage set point i.e. 14.4 Volts.

The Bosh parts numbers 9-190-067-0?? cover a range of internal regulators but most of the differences are physical, not electrical. For instance see https://cometbattery.com.au/shop/alt...-magna-holden/

I would expect the regulated voltage would be 14.4V with the switch in the normal position and progressively lower in the other positions. However without knowing exactly where the resistors are inserted into the custom circuit, my expectations could be way off.

What happens when the switch is in the NORMAL position.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-12-2020, 00:05   #5

What you have described is exactly what it is, a custom made unit with common parts but with no info on the unit or from whom or where it came from is anyone's guess, I think we will dicard the unit and purchase a proper high performance alternator, I don't suppose you could suggest a good solid brand i.e. Balmar Smart Alternator maybe, off hand I don't know of any other but I'm sure there is, appreciate your help.

Kind regards
Rod.
Old 26-12-2020, 00:32   #6

What is the existing alternator?
What is the engine (I sort of remember it is a 3GM30F)?

I'll leave it to the alternator cruising gurus to make suggestions - I'm sure they will surface after finishing their Xmas drinks
Old 26-12-2020, 13:09   #7

It's not actually our vessel its a fellow cruiser, the engine is a Nanni 4cyl 42H.P, we are not sure if the alternator is original or not as it's painted black and would think it would be blue if original but could be wrong, we will do a bit more investigating and see what we come up with, appreciate your help.

Cheers Rod.
Old 26-12-2020, 13:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
..................I don't suppose you could suggest a good solid brand i.e. Balmar Smart Alternator maybe, off hand I don't know of any other but I'm sure there is, appreciate your help.

Kind regards
Rod.

Your namesake, Rod, is also Rod, aka Maine Sail.

Start here:

https://marinehowto.com/automotive-a...cle-batteries/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:50   #9

Thanks for the link Stu, great info.

Cheers
Old 27-12-2020, 09:04   #10

Good morning, and happy Christmas to everybody. Another choice could be the Spa Creek alternator controller, by Weems and Plath. There seem to be some on the second-hand market. Good luck. Peter MacKinnon.
Bittern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 18:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I made another type if your friend wants to tinker but if he has money he may not want to bother.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-239670-8.html.
I have only done about 7 hrs on it so cant comment on reliability.
Cant help you on recommended smart regulators or alternators but you can use the search function if no-one chimes in.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator