Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 10:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Advice on adding starter battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
John;

It's an issue (over charging the starting battery), but not that big of a deal to me. The house bank costs nearly 10x the single starter, the house can start the engine if need be, and it's just filling up water on a every-few-months schedule that I'm on regardless.
One thing to note, when using battery combiners and overcharging the start bats.

The number one killer of bats., right behind chronic under-charging = sulfated.

Is chronic over-charging, this results in positive grid plate corrosion, which sloughs off and will eventually causes a dead short circuit in the battery. Positive grid plate corrosion comes from the high voltage, and has nothing to do with the acceptance of current.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 08:17   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Advice on Adding Starter Battery

I am in this same situation now. I can double my house battery bank by adding a starter battery. Currently the boat is wired with two batteries one hooked up to (1) and the other to (2) on the switch. My thought is to wire the two existing batteries together and then to add a house battery as shown in Post #3. My question is what is the purpose of the On/Off switch in line for the starter battery. I'm probably missing something.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:56   #18
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I am in this same situation now. I can double my house battery bank by adding a starter battery. Currently the boat is wired with two batteries one hooked up to (1) and the other to (2) on the switch. My thought is to wire the two existing batteries together and then to add a house battery as shown in Post #3. My question is what is the purpose of the On/Off switch in line for the starter battery. I'm probably missing something.
Charlie,

See my PM.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:36   #19

Boat: Island Packet IP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Charlie,

See my PM.

Bill

So what was the answer to "what is the purpose of the On/Off switch in line for the starter battery"?

I assume it's for added isolation and to keep it out of the mix when the starting battery is dead(?)

thanks

Mark
captMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery