Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 16:24   #1

Boat: Westerly 43
Adjustable bracket for solar panel

Does anyone know where I could purchase this adjustable bracket for attaching a solar panel to a horizontal stainless tube across two stanchions? It allows you to easily tilt the panel from a vertical to a horizontal position. I already have this setup on one side of my boat and it works great, but I can't find these brackets online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable bracket.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	226211  
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:59   #2

Re: Adjustable bracket for solar panel

To clarify: I don't need exactly the same model but something similar: A bracket that can attach a solar panel to a stainless tube to allow it to pivot. Ideally with a hand-adjustable tensioner.
Old 01-11-2020, 13:25   #3

Boat: Freedom 30

I am looking for exactly the same thing. If no responses I am tempted to mfg and sell them myself. These are useful as heck. It is so stupid simple you would think they would be all over the place.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 13:50   #4

I realize this is not what you are looking for but it is something that is close. I have a magma BBQ and these do very well supporting the cantilevered BBQ weight.

In desperation I have considered buying a couple of these to start fab on an SA bracket with an adjustable support leg running to the middle rail of my pushpit. I need the leg because I have a larger array (100 watt panel) with a lot of overhang. The leg makes adjustment a little easier too.

The problem is the resulting assembly is quite expensive IMO, around $150 to $160 all in.
Shopping around might yield a better price on the magma mount, just used Amazon cause it's an easy link.

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...7283001&sr=8-3
Old 01-11-2020, 13:57   #5

Boat: Hunter 37C

I’ve used these and they held our panels quite well for 3 years now. They are great. We use them for our homemade cockpit table also.
Highest recorded wins over panels was 78mph during a summer storm.
I actually got mine from a local marine solar panel dealer in ft Lauderdale. They were not really available Online when I purchased
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-32719...27782568&psc=1
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 14:04   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	226275
Old 01-11-2020, 15:56   #7

Thanks everyone. Good to see there is something similar available online.

Coincidentally I saw what looks like an identical clamp to mine on the latest Drake Paragon video.
Old 01-11-2020, 16:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
I’ve used these and they held our panels quite well for 3 years now. They are great. We use them for our homemade cockpit table also.
Highest recorded wins over panels was 78mph during a summer storm.
I actually got mine from a local marine solar panel dealer in ft Lauderdale. They were not really available Online when I purchased
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-32719...27782568&psc=1
I saw these but couldn't figure out how you attach a rail for the array mount. Do you happen to have a pic of how you did it?

Edit: Oh, I think I got it, there are through bolts that allow you to attach stuff to the surface opposite the tightening screw. These was a description at Seadog.

Budawang I don't mean to hijack your thread but we have the exact same need for clamps.
Old 01-11-2020, 17:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcunninghamii View Post
I saw these but couldn't figure out how you attach a rail for the array mount. Do you happen to have a pic of how you did it?

Edit: Oh, I think I got it, there are through bolts that allow you to attach stuff to the surface opposite the tightening screw. These was a description at Seadog.

Budawang I don't mean to hijack your thread but we have the exact same need for clamps.
Yup there’s a thru bolt that clamps it down on one side and some mounting holes for attaching the hardware on the other side. I can get a picture tomorrow if you need but it’s pretty simple and so far pretty rugged.

We use 6 of them to attach a aluminum bar to the Bimini frame then attached the panels to the bar.
Old 01-11-2020, 18:26   #10

Warehouse marine has them for $26 (that's for 2)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 18:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
Yup there’s a thru bolt that clamps it down on one side and some mounting holes for attaching the hardware on the other side. I can get a picture tomorrow if you need but it’s pretty simple and so far pretty rugged.

We use 6 of them to attach a aluminum bar to the Bimini frame then attached the panels to the bar.
Thanks for pic offer but I think I am good. I found some detailed pictures of the clamps and it was clear how you attach gear to them.

Tags
solar