Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-07-2009, 10:18   #1

Boat: Cal 28-Simpatico
AC Grounding

Hello, I am a new member and new to sailing. What a wonderful feeling.
I have just acquired an old Cal 28 and now have a long list of projects.
At the top of the list, is installing an AC and DC electrical system. The boat came with 2 batteries (with 2 busses) connected to a DC panel, and a 30 amp shore plug that is not wired. My plan is to connect the shore plug to an AC panel with a 2-pole 30 amp breaker and 3 15 amp breakers. I will then connect a battery charger and AC outlets to this. My problem is where to ground these systems. In most places, I have read to connect the ground to the engine...but I have no engine.I do have what seems to be a through hull bolt that has a ground cable attached to it from the head's seacock. I have read not to ground to seacocks, as they may blow out and sink the boat. I suppose the DC system can just be grounded to the negative post of the battery, but what of the AC side?
I appreciate any thoughts....Thanx
markmcb is offline   Reply With Quote