Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 10:56   #211
cruiser

Re: A way To Save Charging Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you had only asked the right question ............................ 5 years ago!

Do you have a boat manual with electrical diagrams? If not you should ask Oyster for one and get someone you teach you how to read it if needed.
Like I wrote earlier.... I asked Oyster, their guy didn't understand the boat. Was then referred to Fox's Marina which was zero help.

Both delivery captains hired five years ago in the UK couldn't figure it out.

Then hired an electrical engineer in Mallorca who turned out to be a complete boob. Then asked several other electrical engineers who basically saw that the system was 110v, then watched their eyes spin. I finally gave up after about the sixth or seventh guy.

Believe me I tried.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:01   #212
cruiser

Next question: Is my voltmeter what I need to test the battery performance? If so, then how do I determine how many amps can be put into my apparently healthy house battery bank?

450Ah Trojan 6v bank set up as a 24v system
Old 13-05-2017, 13:18   #213

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Next question: Is my voltmeter what I need to test the battery performance? If so, then how do I determine how many amps can be put into my apparently healthy house battery bank?

From your experience level there is only one thing you should buy right now and that is a Balmar Smart Gauge. Idiot proof and will give you the numbers you need. Not saying your an idiot but are electrically challenged at this point in your education.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 13:29   #214

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Ken,

A hygrometer can tell if batteries are fully charged or not. A very accurate volt meter measuring right at the battery terminals can also measure charge after 24 hours with batteries disconnected. Go to the battery manufacturer web site and read what they say about specific gravity and voltage for determining charge percentage.

No amp-hour counting device can accurately measure charge level.

All lead acid batteries require several hours to charge to 100% no matter what size charger you have.

98% of what you read about batteries on the internet is wrong.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 13:51   #215
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
From your experience level there is only one thing you should buy right now and that is a Balmar Smart Gauge. Idiot proof and will give you the numbers you need. Not saying your an idiot but are electrically challenged at this point in your education.
Is there any programing required? Will it tell me how many Ah are stored in my fully charged house battery bank without having to program it or determine or calculate a baseline total?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	147723  
Old 13-05-2017, 13:55   #216

Lol. It will tell you accurate state of charge without programming or calibration. And the longer you use it the smarter it gets. Truly a wonderful piece of gear.

Old 13-05-2017, 13:55   #217

And it can be installed by a caveman!

Old 13-05-2017, 14:26   #218
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
And it can be installed by a caveman!
Good, 'cause I just ordered one.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	147730  
Old 13-05-2017, 14:27   #219
CLOD

Boat: none

You obviously have internet access, why don't you get the instructions on how to program your battery monitor???????

I think a Smart Gauge is just another unneeded black box!
Old 13-05-2017, 15:05   #220
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You obviously have internet access, why don't you get the instructions on how to program your battery monitor???????

I think a Smart Gauge is just another unneeded black box!
Here's the problem.... It's in German and no longer published in English.

I need something easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	147735  
Old 13-05-2017, 15:18   #221

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Next question: Is my voltmeter what I need to test the battery performance?
A voltmeter can help you in finding out a lot about your batteries, but just sticking one across the terminals will tell your very little. It really only becomes useful in diagnosing battery "performance" if you take multiple readings under various conditions (while charging, while discharging at various rates, after it has sat with no charge or discharge for many hours, etc, etc)

Quote:
If so, then how do I determine how many amps can be put into my apparently healthy house battery bank?

Trojan recommend charging at a rate equivalent to 20% of battery Amp hour capacity, so 90 Amps would be a good number to work on. But of course, that will only be in bulk phase. Once you SOC goes up, you won't be able to put anywhere near that many Amps into the bank.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:39   #222
CLOD

Quote:
Here's the problem.... It's in German and no longer published in English.

I need something easy to use.
Bet you work at it you can find an English version, if not you should replace it as what good is it to have something like that on your boat
Old 13-05-2017, 15:43   #223

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

HyGrometer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer

A Haar tension dial hygrometer with a nonlinear scale.

Humidity and hygrometry Specific concepts General concepts
Measures and Instruments

A hygrometer /haɪˈɡrɒmᵻtər/ is an instrument used for measuring the moisture content in the atmosphere. Humidity measurement instruments usually rely on measurements of some other quantity such as temperature, pressure, mass or a mechanical or electrical change in a substance as moisture is absorbed. By calibration and calculation, these measured quantities can lead to a measurement of humidity. Modern electronic devices use temperature of condensation (the dew point), or changes in electrical capacitance or resistance to measure humidity differences. The first crude hygrometer was invented by Leonardo da Vinci in 1480 and a more modern version was created by polymath Johann Heinrich Lambert in 1755.

HyDrometer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer
A hydrometer or areometer is an instrument that measures the specific gravity (relative density) of liquids—the ratio of the density of the liquid to the density of water.
A hydrometer is usually made of glass, and consists of a cylindrical stem and a bulb weighted with mercury or lead shot to make it float upright. The liquid to test is poured into a tall container, often a graduated cylinder, and the hydrometer is gently lowered into the liquid until it floats freely. The point at which the surface of the liquid touches the stem of the hydrometer correlates to specific gravity. Hydrometers usually contain a scale inside the stem, so that the person using it can read specific gravity. A variety of scales exist for different contexts.
Hydrometers are calibrated for different uses, such as a lactometer for measuring the density (creaminess) of milk, a saccharometer for measuring the density of sugar in a liquid, or an alcoholometer for measuring higher levels of alcohol in spirits.
Principle Operation of the hydrometer is based on Archimedes' principle that a solid suspended in a fluid is buoyed by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the submerged part of the suspended solid. Thus, the lower the density of the substance, the farther the hydrometer sinks. Thus, it is based on the principle of floatation.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:44   #224
CLOD

I typed in Dcc4000 manual and found an English one right off the bat, but I'm not doing the work for you in support of the greatest boat of all Oyster
Old 13-05-2017, 15:44   #225
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Trojan recommend charging at a rate equivalent to 20% of battery Amp hour capacity, so 90 Amps would be a good number to work on. But of course, that will only be in bulk phase. Once you SOC goes up, you won't be able to put anywhere near that many Amps into the bank.
I know you're tryin', but...................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	147737  

Tags
charging