Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 08:48   #1

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
A quick question about fusing a solar setup

I'm about to install my Canadian Solar 265w (30v) panel over the bimini. It'll be regulated by a Blue Sky MPPT controller. I know I have to put a fuse between the controller and the battery (as close to the battery as possible) on the positive wire. The manual says to use a 30-40a fuse. Given the panel I'm using, what would be the correct fuse?

Thanks in advance.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 09:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A quick question about fusing a solar setup

I would use a 40A fuse. With a MPPT controller your 265W panel could deliver up to 26A into an almost-dead battery. The fuse is there to protect the wires during a fault (so they don't catch fire). For this current level your wires to the battery should be at least #8, and possibly bigger depending on the wire lengths.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 09:37   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: A quick question about fusing a solar setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I would use a 40A fuse. With a MPPT controller your 265W panel could deliver up to 26A into an almost-dead battery. The fuse is there to protect the wires during a fault (so they don't catch fire). For this current level your wires to the battery should be at least #8, and possibly bigger depending on the wire lengths.
Thanks Paul. I haven't purchased the wires for the controller-to-battery connection yet, but I intend on using the thickest ones possible. The limitation is always the size of wire the controller will accept. The run from the controller to the battery is only about 1-1.5m ( 3 to 6 feet).
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar