Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 15:17   #1

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’
24’ power boat up fit

9/19/20. Need best source for advice as to what appliances to purchase for my 24’ Cuddy Cabin Walk Around Outboard? I am up fitting it with a solar system on the hard top complete with a solar source heat exchanger for hot water. Plans are for a 500 watt solar system. Thinking a refrigerator only (no freezer compartment) in the cabin with a microwave toaster oven mounted above. I have the available space measurements. Plans are for a 24”x60” combination storage box for a freezer and ice maker in the cock pit. This is to be a custom designed box geared towards ac and dc sources of power. I will add on other appliances/electronics as storage space and power allow. Two high tech type energy storage batteries will be added. With all this, plans are for a trip south from Ocracoke Island with passage to the Abacos for a several months winter stay. I will be obtaining experienced, professional help for the up fit.

What a mouth ful! HELP

Sent from my iPad
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 05:35   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: 24’ power boat up fit

Can't really help ref product recommendations, since most of that sounds like it'll be space/size-driven.

Can say microwave/convection oven combo can work well. And we just used a portable table-top icemaker, Igloo, about a hundred buck$. You could maybe use an Instant Pot (small model) to augment your other stuff, too. Maybe an induction cooktop (NuWave or whatever) would be useful.

We used nesting pots/pans (see Magma) to save space... but if you have no cooktop that probably doesn't matter.

-Chris
Old 21-09-2020, 14:52   #3

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’

9/21/20 Thanks for the interest. Please give me the specifics on the microwave/convection oven, the ice maker, instant pot and induction cooktop?
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 08:13   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

The microwave/convection oven we had was a Sharp R820, but I dunno if that model is still made. There are others out there... but we really did come to like the way it worked. Roasted a turkey breast one Thanksgiving, turned out great.

Instant Pot has a website. Imagine an electric pressure cooker/slow cooker/other stuff all in one. A few sizes and options to choose from; ours for the boat is (at least was) the smallest available... since we didn't need huge capacity and smaller stored better. I used a pressure cooker a lot over the last 55 years or so, but stove top versions aren't all that great underway... so the electric IP added that benefit, too, and at the same time let us take a slow cooker out of the mix (a storage benefit).

Induction cooktops are just newer technology but essentially a hot plate. NuWave (or something like that) is a good example. Needs fewer amps, in general.

Google "tabletop icemaker" and you'll probably get several to choose from. Not expensive. I just chose based on which would fit our galley's countertop best.

-Chris
Old 22-09-2020, 09:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hmmmm. Overall, it sounds like you are loading up on energy uses, but not on energy sources. Underway, you've got the alternator on the outboard to charge batteries, but you might need to intervene with a sophisticated voltage regulator given it's likely to be set up to keep only the starter battery happy. Then, what do you do on anchor? A 500w solar array doesn't produce 500w, and running an outboard to charge the house batteries is not an efficient route. Have you thought about a minimalist auxilliary genset, perhaps in the 1,000w range? Have you run an energy budget?

Tags
boat, power boat